Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont think cameron is capable of being replaced really, hes the best small forward of his generation. chances we strike gold and find someone of his quality and physical traits again in the lifetime of the average supporter is pretty small let alone in the period immediately after he decides to retire.

no other currently active small forward comes close to him, breust is great but a very different player. rankine / pickitt probably the two who will be the next generations best smalls but i dont see either as having cameron's ceiling
Bobby Hill would be one I'd add to that group. He'd look pretty exciting out there with our fwds.

Agreed but I don’t think we necessarily need to find someone of identical quality to remain in the premiership hunt. In a few years time I’d target guys like Sam Darcy and Michael Frederick as an example to improve our forward line post Daniher/Charlie/Linc.

Would be great if Logan Morris or Luke Lloyd developed into good medium sized forwards to compliment our developing mids/flanks talent of Coleman, Wilmot, Fletcher and Ashcroft x2.
We do have a couple on the list currently that have a really good natural instinct for goals and that is Brain and Reville, they are no Charlie but do have ability to kick opportunistic goals.
I also think Levi will probably start his AFL career in the forward line too.

I was similarly impressed with Tunstill. But I was similarly impressed with him this time last year. And then he sh@t the bed against Port and wasn't seen again.

Will not be bitten by him again. The jury stays out for now.
Didn’t everyone do that??

Didn’t everyone do that??
In the second half we absolutely did but we did have some moments in the first half and were leading at the main break even though we didn’t play great footy at all.

Throw caution to the wind though, Adelaide Oval is an extremely hard place to win as the away team especially against the SA clubs when they are hot similar to us against the opposition when they travel to the GABBA.

Happy to go shopping to replace both those players.

Our back 7-8 are locked in for a few years, high quality and will be a strength for a good while. In the midfield we've shopped well getting Neale n Dunkley, developed well with Clugg, Berry, Dev, Tunstill, Fletcher, Ashcroft, and have future guns coming with Levi n Mitchell. We shouldn't have to go to the market for a midfielder for a while.

So I'm happy to splash the cash to get the best we can to replace Joe and Charlie when the time comes. When Bevo finally goes nuts, loses the players and the Bulldogs implode in a few years, have a crack at Naughton, lol.
Crazy to think Harris is 28 this year.

Agreed but I don’t think we necessarily need to find someone of identical quality to remain in the premiership hunt. In a few years time I’d target guys like Sam Darcy and Michael Frederick as an example to improve our forward line post Daniher/Charlie/Linc.

Would be great if Logan Morris or Luke Lloyd developed into good medium sized forwards to compliment our developing mids/flanks talent of Coleman, Wilmot, Fletcher and Ashcroft x2.
i think we can still contend when cameron retires depending on what else is going on, but our gameplan in d50 transition often sees the talls pushing up the ground and leaving space for cameron to run into f50 and manufacture a 1v1 . we would have to change our gameplan in this regard as i dont think theres a small forward who could replicate what cameron does for us this way with his combination of pace, agility and strength to the point where being caught one out with cameron running towards goals is probably the toughest assignment for a defender in the game

i dont think cameron is capable of being replaced really, hes the best small forward of his generation. chances we strike gold and find someone of his quality and physical traits again in the lifetime of the average supporter is pretty small let alone in the period immediately after he decides to retire.

no other currently active small forward comes close to him, breust is great but a very different player. rankine / pickitt probably the two who will be the next generations best smalls but i dont see either as having cameron's ceiling
I’m crossing my fingers that Raphael Geesu from our academy in next year’s draft, is Charlie’s successor.

Doesn’t play the same, more like Kysiah Picket.

On Charlie Cameron, where does he stand re the GOAT small forwards... IMO right up there with the likes of Cyril Rioli, Stephen Milne, Eddie Betts, Jeff Farmer.

If Jason Akermanis played as a permanent small forward he would have been pretty damn good.

I'd agree it would be incredibly hard to replace Charlie like for like, but much more likely to adjust the game plan to work with a "lesser" player. Lot of clubs have found success with even just a fast pressure player and not a generational small
Also could use that logic with replacing Joey long-term as well with a serviceable McStay-like forward although that would be more risky and would rather another star key forward in the wings as those are the most exciting players IMO.

In saying that, we don’t know what AFL tactics will be like 15-20 years time at minimum and without pulling my famous Dad line of playing all 200cm players in a side, maybe there is only a need for 2 key forwards (with one being 50% ruck relief) or clubs might choose to play 4 key forwards especially if interchange size will increase over time.

On Charlie Cameron, where does he stand re the GOAT small forwards... IMO right up there with the likes of Cyril Rioli, Stephen Milne, Eddie Betts, Jeff Farmer.

If Jason Akermanis played as a permanent small forward he would have been pretty damn good.
It goes: 1) Leigh Matthews 2) everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It goes: 1) Leigh Matthews 2) everyone else.
If it's before the threepeat it doesn't exist.

Reminds me of someone posting random/forgotten past Brisbane Lions players on Reddit. Basically just a who's who of our crap teams from '06 to '19.

G
I never saw Lethal play except some clips on youtube/TV and didn't start following AFL until the late 1990s so just mentioning smalls I have seen play... should have omitted GOAT and substituted best this century.
Gary Wilson not far off him.

I know, feels like yesterday he debuted. In saying that he is 27 for the full season turning 28 in December so essentially won’t be 28 until the 2025 season. Still a good 5 years of high quality footy left after this year you’d think.
Thank heavens for that.
I thought we might have to look at trading him out while he has some value ;)

Lethal head & shoulders ahead of anyone in my opinion. Gary Wilson a very good footballer but not in the same class level as Matthews.
Purely on ability and considering what he copped in that era Flea was an out and out champ.

But Matthews was next level because he could dish it out as well and physically couldn't be stopped.

Flea had to play in teams where he was the target ,if you stopped him it went a good way to winning, whereas Leigh generally played in great teams where he wasn't the only one to worry about.

I daresay if Flea had played for Hawthorn in those years he would have been used differently and played longer but no argument that Leigh was the best.

I can't even think of a comparable player to Leigh in the current era but the game's changed a lot hasn't it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back