Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably can do away with goal umpires within a few years unless they’re kept on for the theatrics of them:

Isn't being a goal umpire part of the progression being an onfield one ... automating it out of existance would cruel the pathway to full umpiring and, while I understand the angst, would be fine with this tech as a limited part of the review process but making goal/boundary umpires redundant would be ultimately bad for our game.

Of course those who consider the umpiring fraternity to be biased and/or corrupt should also keep in mind that the programming of the systems (and the overight of the programming) is even more open to manipulation...

The first one does not show what the goal umpire indicated.
The second one has the goal umpire signaling a goal and not even a review. But ball tracking indicates a behind post hit.

So will ball tracking automatically override the umpire decision on the scoreboard.
Or will they have a pow wow to make things clear.
Decision would have to come down to umps via microphone if umpire decision is different to ball tracking.
Hopefully it is overridden quickly as players would be headed back to the center square in that 2nd example.

In the second case the Suns fans (or insert Pies) would be screaming.

At the end of the day if you can get the correct score result that's what's important.
Looking at this it'd be the same as the computerised offside VAR they had at the World Cup - if the call is wrong, it'll flash up immediately, if it's fine you won't see anything.

The second one has the goal umpire signaling a goal and not even a review. But ball tracking indicates a behind post hit.

So will ball tracking automatically override the umpire decision on the scoreboard.
Decision would have to come down to umps via microphone if umpire decision is different to ball tracking.
Hopefully it is overridden quickly as players would be headed back to the center square in that 2nd example.

At the end of the day if you can get the correct score result that's what's important.

I’m interested in how it goes when the ball goes over the post. Will ball tracking be able to deduce that?

Apparently it's all instantaneous. I love it. It's coming in for the AFLW season apparently - that's how well the trials have gone.

The sooner they extend it to marks around the ground, out of bounds and 15m bounces, the better. 15m kicks might be a bit problematic - we've had this debate here before.

I’m interested in how it goes when the ball goes over the post. Will ball tracking be able to deduce that?
Apparently. From what I've seen it'll be like Hawkeye in cricket. So you get a computer simulation of the flight path of the ball, which essentially allows you to include in that simulation a goal post of unlimited height.

Technically, this system would allow you to do away with needing to have physical posts at all. Not that this would happen of course.

Isn't being a goal umpire part of the progression being an onfield one ... automating it out of existance would cruel the pathway to full umpiring and, while I understand the angst, would be fine with this tech as a limited part of the review process but making goal/boundary umpires redundant would be ultimately bad for our game.

Of course those who consider the umpiring fraternity to be biased and/or corrupt should also keep in mind that the programming of the systems (and the overight of the programming) is even more open to manipulation...
I have never been of the understanding that goal umpiring is the first step on the path to being a field umpire. From what I understand it's a treated as a completely separate discipline. We have some goal umpires in the AFL who have been doing it for 20 years or so.

Apparently it's all instantaneous. I love it. It's coming in for the AFLW season apparently - that's how well the trials have gone.

The sooner they extend it to marks around the ground, out of bounds and 15m bounces, the better. 15m kicks might be a bit problematic - we've had this debate here before.

I must admit it does look good. Itll be interesting to see how it’s integrated into the broadcast.

The only people who will be against this are people like BRAB as the tracking will prevent him from stealing match day balls when they’re kicked into the crowd.

Apparently. From what I've seen it'll be like Hawkeye in cricket. So you get a computer simulation of the flight path of the ball, which essentially allows you to include in that simulation a goal post of unlimited height.

Technically, this system would allow you to do away with needing to have physical posts at all. Not that this would happen of course.

So it’ll be able to do out of bounds as well I presume

Correct, the full segment said it’s already being trialled without players knowing in the VFL and will be formally trialled in AFLW. It won’t be long when the whole field including boundary will also be utilised rendering boundary umps to just throw the ball in. I mean there’s so many times they are out of position and miss balls out and even marks on the line which this tech will give pinpoint accuracy.

So it’ll be able to do out of bounds as well I presume
Yes... It will definitely be ABLE to. Whether this is included in the initial charter remains to be seen. I expect for the first rollout it will only be for goal umpiring decisions. Which I'm ok with to be honest. But let's not wait 5 or 10 years to take this further if the technology already facilitates its broader use.

You could probably get it to determine whether the ball's been disposed of legally as well.

I mean the possibilities here are endless. Much like the VAR technology which tracks 30 points or whatever on a player's body, at some stage it will be possible to determine whether a player has been pushed in the back, whether they've been tripped, whether they've been tackled high without ducking or dropping the knees or raising one arm. Etc. There's probably more. I mean one day it might even be possible to determine what exactly is holding the ball. Even under the current (ridiculous) definition.

Yes... It will definitely be ABLE to. Whether this is included in the initial charter remains to be seen. I expect for the first rollout it will only be for goal umpiring decisions. Which I'm ok with to be honest. But let's not wait 5 or 10 years to take this further if the technology already facilitates its broader use.

You could probably get it to determine whether the ball's been disposed of legally as well.

I mean the possibilities here are endless. Much like the VAR technology which tracks 30 points or whatever on a player's body, at some stage it will be possible to determine whether a player has been pushed in the back, whether they've been tripped, whether they've been tackled high without ducking or dropping the knees or raising one arm. Etc. There's probably more. I mean one day it might even be possible to determine what exactly is holding the ball. Even under the current (ridiculous) definition.

The big ones are hitting the post, out of bounds and touched balls imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Josh Battle is a very solid defender, would be at the very least fantastic depth for us.

Surely not!

For rd1 compensation wouldn't he need a contract of 900+? Battle is good, but not a 900+ player. However, if St Kilda can find someone desperate enough to pay him that kind of money...

1720050842792.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back