Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Since the exit of Liam Jones, we have need a replacement key defender.

We have tried Young, Durdin etc but neither for various reasons can hold the spot.

Talk of Marchbank is a false economy.
He is an interceptor, not a key defender.
Last time he played was against Sydney, and he was well beaten, then injured...

Unfortunately for Caleb, his time has passed at Carlton...

Kemp is a utility made to play defence.
Scapegoating him for the result would be a mistake.

The coaches made no attempts to change the match up. So it suggests they clearly trusted him for that role, even when Hogan was on fire. Start your discussions here.

Followed by the defensive efforts of our midfield (outside of Cripps) and whatever the plan is to mitigate the defensive structures if Weitering goes down...

For me, as others have pointed out, q3 when they kicked 7 goals to 1, was the quarter to study.

Its not all doom and gloom, i liked the fact we fought out a 2 goal loss, when it could have been a 50pt drubbing

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Curnow has been shocking this year. He has shown glimpses or brilliance but nowhere near his best. For those saying he is on his way to winning a third Coleman, I say it says more about his competition than it does him.

There are 2 different Curnow's that roll up, first one is one that is willing to roll his sleeves up and work for his goals. We saw this Curnow against Essendon.

The other Curnow is a lazy, lack lustre Mr Hollywood Curnow, which we saw tonight and against Richmond. This version you will see him trying to wrestle his opponent and stroll as if to "chase" his opponent only for that said opponent to waltz away with no pressure.

Extremely frustrating but does have the potential to offer 4-5 minutes of brilliance where he may kick you 4 goals in a blink of an eye.
In the Fevola era (off field issues aside), fevola was roundly criticised for his onfield behaviour...

His mercurial goal kicking exploits didnt stop the external pressure on his defensive efforts, energy and sulking.

Where is this on Charlie. Is it because of his knees that he has been insulated? A bit of pressure on him could be good...

From memory, he was poor in the finals last year... he needs to find his next gear

Curnow has been shocking this year. He has shown glimpses or brilliance but nowhere near his best. For those saying he is on his way to winning a third Coleman, I say it says more about his competition than it does him.

There are 2 different Curnow's that roll up, first one is one that is willing to roll his sleeves up and work for his goals. We saw this Curnow against Essendon.

The other Curnow is a lazy, lack lustre Mr Hollywood Curnow, which we saw tonight and against Richmond. This version you will see him trying to wrestle his opponent and stroll as if to "chase" his opponent only for that said opponent to waltz away with no pressure.

Extremely frustrating but does have the potential to offer 4-5 minutes of brilliance where he may kick you 4 goals in a blink of an eye.
But if an overreaction. He’s leading the Coleman and has kicked a goal every match for the 2.5 seasons straight

Yep TDK was out muscled and we should look at who should be in to play against a strong beast like that.
It should have been Pitto in tonight as well

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
When we beat them earlier in the year, they were in form...it was Pitto and TDk... particularly Pitto who set us up with a patch of clearance dominance.

From memory, post this game was when Cripps made the comment about Pitto.

Match committee got selections all wrong this week. Then lack of intensity by many, franked this.

Can't have all 3 of O Hollands, Acres, and Cottrell in the team at the same time unless there are too many injuries.
Maybe it's time to give Ollie a rest and let Cottrell build up some match fitness.
Just observing , but they seemed pretty happy with themselves at quarter time and the pressure just wasn't there for the next 2. Proof that footy is played 95% above the shoulders.
We will be ok but there needs to be a message sent that if you don't bring the intensity then it's next man in who will
I agree a lot has to do with effort but there are elements of team selection and where you play each player that imo effected how we played and the end result.

I saw nothing from cotts and Ollie - fantasia wasnt our worst player imo but they subbed him off. Its hard (for me at least) to understand they're thinking behind selection and who is subbed out.

I think the avalanche started around the time weits went off - we wrestled it back in the last Q.

Charlie having very little influence on the game - perhaps could have moved him in defence when weits went off. We've done this before so not sure why they didnt do it when our defence was under enormous pressure and it was so obvious.

We had a red hot run no team in the comp including Sydney keeps that up.
We have gone from the hunters to the hunted that’s a good thing we need to embrace it and tweak some plays that have been exploited.
There was a period in the last 10 minutes of the third where I said we lost it I new we would run over them but needed to be within 5 goals not 7
They where top 4 round 6 there a very good team but so are we
We played a bit Hollywood in the second
I actually thought of our run Dogies would be toughest but after today let’s see.
Not scared of playing them at home in front of 80 passionate Blues supporters
I felt we experimented with selection and lessons will be learned
We have at least 81 passionate blues supporters.

Lack of effort was obvious especially through the middle.Lack of tackles and being beaten at clearances just emphasised that BUT another worry that is becoming apparent is Charlie’s form.

He’s being double and triple teamed,he needs to work through it and change up his game.Without an in form Charlie we don’t go deep in finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He really should be at minimum a 3 goal a game 15+ possessions player, at a MINIMUM.

He’s fast, he’s strong, has a fantastic leap and tank, yet everytime the ball goes near him someone is on him or nearby. He has to get better at making space for himself or at least running his opponents into the ground. Frustrating, special thing that Charlie is.
Charlie is slower than Kennedy in terms of short distances...

(and I too subscribe to the theory he's been carrying something most of the year)

Our forward pressure was poor/ non existent for first 3 quarters..

Owies coming on sparked the pressure and we were able to lock the ball in a lot more in the last quarter…

MC need to do better with our sub choices..

Also moving Cincotta out of our forward line to fit Cottrell back in was a poor move… Cincotta tagging the oppositions best defender, gives our forward line another dimension and plus he hits the scoreboard…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of effort was obvious especially through the middle.Lack of tackles and being beaten at clearances just emphasised that BUT another worry that is becoming apparent is Charlie’s form.

He’s being double and triple teamed,he needs to work through it and change up his game.Without an in form Charlie we don’t go deep in finals.

he was also beaten when 1 v 1

he needs to run into space and on leads more - in another words work harder....thats the big issue I see with charlie - he is too gifted and sometimes relies too much on his talents rather than working hard

standing flat footed and wrestling the oppo defender is not a good tactic.

Also, I was livid when he played on after one of our other forwards (cant remember who it was) got a free 20-25 m out from goals. Not only did he have time to stop play - he snapped around his body which was a low % play anyway compared to the player winning the free to set up for a shot on goal.

Last edited:
Tackles aren't everything of course but Carlton lost the tackles i50 count 4-26. That simply cannot happen again

That is an unbelievable stat, it was very noticeable how much pressure they were putting on.
A stat like that and you wonder how we only lost by 12 points.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seemed like we had a significant focus on trial and error last night.
A tad arrogant, IMO.
Let’s hope no-one is getting too far ahead of themselves.

A tad?

We conceded 13 of 15 goals after being 39 points up.

Comp is way too tight to be pulling shit like this (if true). Hope it doesn’t but if we miss out on top 2/top 4, it’ll be easy to pinpoint where it went downhill.

Brutal reality is we haven’t achieved anything to be trialling and erroring.

I’m actually seriously pissed off with last night and if this is how as a club we approached the game, it’s disgusting and highly concerning imho. Major alarm bells.

Cerra might be a tad overrated.

Clearly has nice attributes but has played about a dozen good games (if that) for us since joining.

A little too laconic, I’d almost prefer Hewett.
I agree Hewett should come back in.

His poise in close has always been important.

Certainly is an outside player - we need to maximise his use rather than expecting him to be inside/outside.

That is an unbelievable stat, it was very noticeable how much pressure they were putting on.
A stat like that and you wonder how we only lost by 12 points.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because we are actually still scoring pretty efficiently when getting the ball i50 even when Curnow is having a down game. That part of our game has really improved in 2024

In 2024, Carlton are:
#1 in goals per inside 50
#2 in scoring shots per inside 50

In 2023 (including finals), Carlton were:
#13 in goals per inside 50
#10 in scoring shots per inside 50

A tad?

We conceded 13 of 15 goals after being 39 points up.

Comp is way too tight to be pulling shit like this (if true). Hope it doesn’t but if we miss out on top 2/top 4, it’ll be easy to pinpoint where it went downhill.

Brutal reality is we haven’t achieved anything to be trialling and erroring.

I’m actually seriously pissed off with last night and if this is how as a club we approached the game, it’s disgusting and highly concerning imho. Major alarm bells.
Relax, this is just somebody's theory , no point getting worked up over what people say here, I very much doubt the club decided to try things out because they thought we couldn't lose.

I think it's more that this close to finals we need to get some games into guys like Cerra and Cottrell at this level so that they are cherry ripe at finals time, but then this is only my theory, take it as you wish.

I watched that game knowing that we would start well, expecting that we would suffer lapses in the second quarter and early third, and expecting our game to come together late in the third and we would come home very strong. This has been a pattern for us.

As the game went on, my trust that we could turn it around and fight back starting to wane. It felt like the Swans game. I do take something out of our last quarter fightback. If nothing else, our fitness showed itself again, and we were able to use that to return to our DNA. If we stemmed the tide without the Giants losing steam, then that's even better.

We do have belief that we can come back from anywhere. I'm glad we didn't lose that.

This might sound silly but I feel we play better in bigger games with bigger crowds.Whilst yesterday was a big game ladder wise watching it on tv looked like there wasn’t many there.

Not sure.

Not silly at all - feel like most teams with big supporter bases would be the same. When you have momentum and the crowd is up and about it would a massive boost

This might sound silly but I feel we play better in bigger games with bigger crowds.Whilst yesterday was a big game ladder wise watching it on tv looked like there wasn’t many there.

Not sure.

It was empty apart from the fat side where all the carlton supporters were. Was 80% barren on the Giants members wing

Should be close to 40k against the Dogs this week for Crippa

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back