Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie is slower than Kennedy in terms of short distances...

(and I too subscribe to the theory he's been carrying something most of the year)
Yeah i agree. I think when we start to see Charlie just prop and try and out muscle his opponent alone he's got an underlying issue. Same happened in the finals last year.

I think a few things went wrong last night.

We definitely started well, obviously, but even with that it didn't feel like we were "on", and I think Cripps could feel that too, with his efforts in the 2nd being immense. Not often you see him try to pump the boys up after a goal but you could see it clearly he was trying to lift the team. Alas, no one went with him.

Did I read that Charlie was in doubt pre-game? Rolled ankle or something? It would make sense as he was non competitive in a marking contest and looked like he could barely get off the ground.

However, I do think that the match really turned when Weitering and McGovern both went off. Height and leadership both gone at the same time hurt and thats when GWS put the foot down. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I would have liked to see some control, particularly in the 3rd. Just some chip marking our way around just to take some sting out, but we kept playing GWS game. That's the disappointing thing for me

Yeah i agree. I think when we start to see Charlie just prop and try and out muscle his opponent alone he's got an underlying issue. Same happened in the finals last year.

Went into a LOT of contests with only one arm. He’s either carrying a left shoulder issue or he’s so dumb/arrogant he thinks that’ll cut it at the level. He was terrrible last night. I stilll love him, but his few touches in the last only highlighted how hopeless the rest of his evening was. Why on earth a supreme aerobic athlete plays a stop-and-wrestle game all night is beyond me. Hit up! Jump! As soon as he does he looks unstoppable!

Why do these threads feel like doom and gloom after a loss

No side is undefeated, plenty have lost a string of games or lost to lower quality sides

GWS still has plenty of talent, despite the fact we should have stemmed the tide

If your pressure, structure is slightly off, that type of results aren't unusual

It's never as good, never as bad
I think it was the way it unfolded. The second quarter was just one of those things; sometimes you have to tip your hat to your opposition going to another level. we were fortunate as it was to be clinging to that half-time lead. To then not respond at all in the third quarter was deflating, more so than the final result.

For me, last night undermined my trust in the bottom 6, and emphasised the extent to which we rely on them to lift our baseline. Firstly the Match Committee needs to get the personnel right (i.e. select the correct bottom 6 to balance the side). We'd had it right for the last 2 weeks, but Hewett out for Cottrell unbalanced that, in addition to none of Fantasia, Cincotta or Cottrell being the sub. Secondly, we need the bottom 6 to play their roles, and last night they were all down, even Fogarty who has been so good.

I suppose the law of averages suggests we'll be down occasionally. It will be interesting to see how we respond, both at selection and on-field next week. I'd probably hoped that a half of footy as bad as we served up either side of half-time were in our past. Bit sad that we've still "got it".

My first time to ENGIE. Was a fun sort of country game vibe to it. Venue is pretty good.

What was jarring was this:

Crowd: 11,730 at Engie Stadium

Yikes. AFL has a long way to go in Western Sydney. The light shows and music after every goal felt pretty hollow when there were about 1500 GWS fans there only.

Owies as sub was completely bizarre :drunk:

And would have though Hewett had banked enough credits not to get dropped after 1 bad game.

But really the issue is how fragile we are if Weitering goes down, the 1 bloke on the list we can't cover in any capacity. Even with everything else that went wrong last night, if he's at 100% we don't lose that game imo.

No side is undefeated, plenty have lost a string of games or lost to lower quality sides

GWS still has plenty of talent, despite the fact we should have stemmed the tide

If your pressure, structure is slightly off, that type of results aren't unusual

Yeh yeh ok

My first time to ENGIE. Was a fun sort of country game vibe to it. Venue is pretty good.

Yikes. AFL has a long way to go in Western Sydney. The light shows and music after every goal felt pretty hollow when there were about 1500 GWS fans there only.
I definitely think the lifeless feel in that stadium isn’t good for our group

We need big crowds to get us over the line. I reckon we might’ve jagged the win with a crowd behind them

The loss doesn’t hurt us too much in the long run, so I’m fairly philosophical about it. It was a poor performance, certainly.

I feel the thing that it re-exposed was lack of footspeed. Through second and third quarters we were smashed in run and spread, and their little guys with pace broke away from the packs for fun. They just found so many targets all over the field, whereas I’d swear we only had about one or two kicks to a teammate that were marked in those quarters.

Similar to the Swans shellacking where they got pace and space and we could not keep up.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more.

Williams forward was a trial and error thing. Cincotta as a tagger was a trial and error thing. Promotion of Fogarty last year when he'd done shit all to earn it was a trial and error thing. Playing to improve the turnover game for the first month of the year was a trial and error thing, and it paid all sorts of dividends since.

There's never a poor time to tinker, except in a do or die final. You always need to be moving; it is only when you stop, you say 'my work here is done', that others get their chance to overcome you. It's not always going to come off - Fog doesn't get enough of the ball through midfield to be a mid, if you're going to play that game you'd be better off doing it with Williams as he's done it some before - but you always need to have an idea trialled up your sleeve that your opposition cannot plan to counter.

My comment was in the context of our apparent arrogant approach to the game and getting ahead of ourselves.

yeah this was a bad error and as you say instead of us getting the 6 points they did.

williams did plenty right and had a good game overall i thought but that was a costly error unfortunately.

having said that - our real problems were in the 2/3 Qs. That needs a good review which im sure they will be doing tomorrow.
Yep quarters 2-3 were terrible, couldn’t lay a glove on them, really exposed for leg speed & ball handling or skill level in the slippery conditions.

We tried to thread the needle on too many handballs and lost control, needed more poise & tempo in that period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we were putrid for an hour of footy

Spanked in the middle of the ground, TDK was generally monstered, their mids were tougher for longer until the ball was released

You will not win games of footy when you allow clubs to move the ball with that speed

Tonight was an interesting learning curve for Kemp, but not sure why Weitering didn't line up on Hogan

I thought our role players were poor

Newman, Cripps, McKay, Kennedy our best

This and then sum!

Too many on here saying, move on, we just had a bad night… RUBBISH.

We were the globetrotters in the first qtr, then we drank some of our own bath water at the break, they swung some changes and our world fell apart and we got exposed and the rest of the comp would be taking notes, I know I would…

TDK got smashed physically and couldn’t cope.
Giants put a small on Cripps and a big on Walsh, fantastic ploy which totally wiped out Walsh, Cripps was so-so.
Ball going forward was directed at Hogan because he was toweling up a smaller less defensive defender (we can’t carry him anymore), literally either side of 3/4 time cost us the momentum and ultimately the game.
Hewitt straight back in.
Charlie needs a Voss chat as well.
Ollie is just not big enough to impact a contest.

We want to win the flag, the ruthless Voss will show his face soon…

I think it was more the way we lost Arrow complete capitulation, but we’ll learn from it, ;lets see how we bounce back next week.

A 14 goal to 3 goal response after quarter time is as bad as it gets, irrespective of the opposition.

Opportunity to reset and strategise at half time break couldn’t stem the trend. IMG_2348.jpeg

The Curnow potting is massively overblown, he dropped plenty of marks tonight and had he held on to just two of the good opportunities he had close to goal (reckon he got his hands to easily 5 but couldn’t hold on) he finishes with 3.1

He’s the best forward in the competition, he had a bad night - let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water

Harry on the other hand stood up and dominated. How many times has Charlie dominated while Harry had a quieter night? Both Coleman medalists, both superstars, relax

I disagree. This has been coming for a while. IMO some of his efforts over past 4-6 weeks have been a disgrace

Even the best deserve criticism for poor efforts and that’s what I’m seeing

i first thought it was bedford also but pretty sure 31 was the little rat involved
Yeah, I thought I saw a few elbows into Crippa’s kidneys when he was on the ground.

If someone said we would win 2 quarters by a combined 57 points, most of us would think “how far”.

It seemed a battle to be able to lift our collective intensity.

I would excuse them for 2 reasons. We have become used to playing in front of 80K and were flat. Also a few games now in the wet, which are just that bit more taxing and bruising.

The comp is too even to win away against good sides when you are mentally off.

Um ... because losses expose problems and make people debate said problems?

Do you think the players and coaches are not discussing what went wrong, and how to fix it?

There's some doom sayers, some going meh, who cares, some discussing flaws and how to fix them. Each person is coming from a different base, depending on current life circumstances, expectations and mood. This is an outlet for them.

You know this though Arr0w. It's not a hive mind. Let people cope however they need to, and add your own thoughts for people to take on board ... or not.

I personally like to know what different people are thinking. I love the diversity of opinion and characters.

the light show and music was cheap and awful….should be left to basketball !

Strange game. When we get games where one quarter we are running over the ground and the next few cement legged I suspect we are in the middle of some sort of training block. I expect a few flat games before coming home strong. Just hope we have the scheduling right to hit the ground running in the finals.
I think we got lucky playing Port Geel and Essendon in their flat spells while we were going the other way. If we played any of them teams next week I would say we would get beaten.
I trust the coaches. They look like they are know what they are doing. Voss sounded like he knew why we lost (70pts against from stoppage) and knows that will be an extrememly rare event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back