Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Footy Show panel arking up about Zerk-Thatchers off ball hit on Aaron Naughton and brushed it off as an accident- was Greenes hit on Kemp an accident.

:think:

The Curnow potting is massively overblown, he dropped plenty of marks tonight and had he held on to just two of the good opportunities he had close to goal (reckon he got his hands to easily 5 but couldn’t hold on) he finishes with 3.1

He’s the best forward in the competition, he had a bad night - let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water

Harry on the other hand stood up and dominated. How many times has Charlie dominated while Harry had a quieter night? Both Coleman medalists, both superstars, relax

Bestie and I were unimpressed with the coaching last night and I think selections were wrong. We needed Pittonet on Briggs and Hewett would have been handy. Showed how important Weitering is to us.

Why weren't more changes made to stem their flow?

We looked a bit tired and lost structurally.

Better to lose one now though.
Interesting to see what changes in the team are made now. Now is not the time to try different things. Need to secure double chance first.

Cerra might be a tad overrated.

Clearly has nice attributes but has played about a dozen good games (if that) for us since joining.

A little too laconic, I’d almost prefer Hewett.
Cerra was our best player through the calamity that was the first half of 2023.
Is a star who has struggled with injuries since. Needs more playing time.

cottrell might have been brought in out of respect for gws rather than arrogance. trying to rush back a defensive gut runner in place of a somewhat slower midfielder. we all saw how quick gws were. i have no idea whether or not cottrell was underdone, possibly, but we may have brought him in because we were worried. 7 possessions isn't great but he generally only gets 12-15 on a good day. he was quiet like others.

tdk ran out of tricks fairly quickly. good lessons there. briggs played well and cleared the way for his team and gave the sort of service tdk has lately. it's a terrible feeling when you're outmuscled by the guy you know you'll be following around for the whole match, kemp will be feeling the same. weitering may not like young but the team may need young. we may see another tall including marchbank come in for match-ups against the tall doggy forward line.

harry gave leek a bit of a footballing lesson. thankfully we had someone kicking goals.

2nd and 3rd quarters was some of the biggest footy poop we've served up this year while apparently the form team of the comp. we're sitting 2nd on the ladder but there's a sense of fragility to our team that the two 10 goal wins made us hope we'd put behind us. but we know we give teams a look, constantly. this time gws went on with it.
weitering's loss was felt more heavily because we barely had the ball. see vs sydney.

there's a few players on the fringe we could tinker with.

also good for voss to get a look at what the team does under the pump. plan for sleepy quarters before they take us by surprise in the finals.

We probably did become a bit too complacent alright after that first quarter. We came back into it in that fourth quarter, but it was a case of much too little and much too late by then.

I just think our effort and intensity for most of that game was off it's usual levels. Better to get a kick up the rear end now though than in the finals!

I'm still confident enough that we'll put the Bulldogs to the sword next week.

It's not the end of the world but its a concerning message that other teams will take note of.

Walsh can be tagged out, and if you apply extreme pressure we're still prone to folding.

Team will have to go up another notch and deal with being the hunted if they want to talk flags.

I'm still pretty shitty this morning, just need to bank these bloody W's to give us top 4 with some breathing space for the final few games, but I just know we're going to make it hard for ourselves.

In hindsight, that turnover goal at the end of the first, and Elijah’s dinky Hollywood kick turnover to start the 2nd quarter really did ignite them a bit, doesn’t excuse giving up that much of a lead, but momentum is a hell of a thing in footy.
If we kept it to 4 goals at 3/4 time instead of the Zac Williams 2 goal swing error I think we run over the top of them also.

Have a feeling the player's were drinking their own bathwater a bit during the week. We did get a lot of attention in the footy show's. They were all singing our praises. Also with giants having some really poor form, did we take them a little lightly?

Was not only the player's who were well down, but the coaches and selection committee just did mot seem to put much thought into this game.

Anyway, maybe this is just an aberration. Vossy should respond by being a bit tougher on them this week. It really was a wake-up call.

Selection wise, Cotts should be better for the run and Vossy loves him. George and Owies need to be playing full games.

Charlie is a bit of a worry, I think because he is such a rare talent that we all do expect a lot from him. Maybe Vossy, when he sees him struggling like last night. Swap him with Harry and play him out of the goal square for periods.

Motts needs to come in now, for Fanta. Cuners would be an ideal choice for sub imo.
Yep, haven't watched the game yet, but saw a QT and a HT score.

Knew it'd be a loss.

If they were able to score that freely our mids and forwards simply working hard enough defensively.

That's 100% mindset.

Our boys thought game over at QT. Wrongly.

And Owies as sub? WTF.

Wouldn't blame the guy for looking elsewhere - that's just rude.

It's not the end of the world but its a concerning message that other teams will take note of.

Walsh can be tagged out, and if you apply extreme pressure we're still prone to folding.

Team will have to go up another notch and deal with being the hunted if they want to talk flags.

I'm still pretty shitty this morning, just need to bank these bloody W's to give us top 4 with some breathing space for the final few games, but I just know we're going to make it hard for ourselves.
Should be sent to wing/high half forward when he gets a hard tag. Harder to stop on the run as opposed to at stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we kept it to 4 goals at 3/4 time instead of the Zac Williams 2 goal swing error I think we run over the top of them also.
yeah this was a bad error and as you say instead of us getting the 6 points they did.

williams did plenty right and had a good game overall i thought but that was a costly error unfortunately.

having said that - our real problems were in the 2/3 Qs. That needs a good review which im sure they will be doing tomorrow.

Kemp got toweled up and should’ve been taken off Hogan and replaced with either Weitering or Gov. Lesson learnt there.

GWS’ smalls are ridiculously good. Fantasia doesn’t tackle and offers nothing if he’s not hitting the scoreboard with 2 goals a game. It’s Owies and/or Motlop moving forward and the Fantasia love in from Voss needs to stop.

While Cerra is rusty and the prospect of Walsh getting tagged more often, Hewett needs to play. Even without those matters I’d still be playing Hewett.

A good game for Voss from which Voss and the coaching committee can work on rectifying some issues moving forward

Should be sent to wing/high half forward when he gets a hard tag. Harder to stop on the run as opposed to at stoppages.
I think this is a good idea and something we should have tried in the game - coaches have much better knowledge of the game so they should be trying out moves like this one and im sure there were other options that may have also stemmed the tide.

the tagger may well revert to whoever replaces walsh though but still thats the job of the coaches to make moves to give the advantage back to us - last night and in general our coaches are too slow to make moves and sometimes they just don't make a move.

Cerra was our best player through the calamity that was the first half of 2023.
Is a star who has struggled with injuries since. Needs more playing time.
Was also amongst our best last week despite only playing half the game. Started strong again last night but just faded out like most did

Absolutely. My only issue with those names is that they can't light a fire under us. They can't stem the tide, or do anything to turn around the momentum.

We rely on Charlie, Harry, Cripps, Acres, Weitering, Owies, TDK and Kennedy to do this. Even Walsh isn't a game changer when things are going against us.
Great observation ODN. Weiters hampered by another corky. McGovern and Saad our next experienced defenders quiet. Walsh uncharacteristically quiet. Charlie neutralised for the whole game. And Harry our best key forward on the night has to go into the ruck to give TDK a chop out making it easier for defenders to blanket Charlie.

Relying on role players to get us out of trouble doesn’t work if too many key players are down. Fantasia, an underdone Cottrell and Ollie Hollands are there to bring run into the team and that didn’t happen.

We can say that attitude and effort wasn’t there which is just useless rhetoric. The message was plain and clear at halftime - everyone had to pull their finger out and it didn’t happen - 7 goal to 1 third quarter.

Meanwhile we have two match hardened players in Owies and Hewett, players not short of effort or hardness, watching on from the sidelines.

All sides are allowed losses but long term there were two worries for me.
If a side has two very tall forwards I’ll trust Weitering to beat one but the other I have very little faith in us being able to stop 1v1. The side has to be switched on or we can get exploited.
As we all know, we are slow through the midfield so if a side can shut Walsh down we can really get exploited by leg speed through there, especially when a ruck has a game as Briggs did.

Why do these threads feel like doom and gloom after a loss

No side is undefeated, plenty have lost a string of games or lost to lower quality sides

GWS still has plenty of talent, despite the fact we should have stemmed the tide

If your pressure, structure is slightly off, that type of results aren't unusual

It's never as good, never as bad

The Curnow potting is massively overblown, he dropped plenty of marks tonight and had he held on to just two of the good opportunities he had close to goal (reckon he got his hands to easily 5 but couldn’t hold on) he finishes with 3.1

He’s the best forward in the competition, he had a bad night - let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water

Harry on the other hand stood up and dominated. How many times has Charlie dominated while Harry had a quieter night? Both Coleman medalists, both superstars, relax
Yep. I'm worried about what happens when Weiters is hurt though. Gotta have faith that we are on to it and have a very very cunning plan b, c etc. I think maybe Guv had an issue too? They showed him talking with Dr. We need a Weiters understudy all prepped and ready to go if needed.

Brutal reality is we haven’t achieved anything to be trialling and erroring.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more.

Williams forward was a trial and error thing. Cincotta as a tagger was a trial and error thing. Promotion of Fogarty last year when he'd done shit all to earn it was a trial and error thing. Playing to improve the turnover game for the first month of the year was a trial and error thing, and it paid all sorts of dividends since.

There's never a poor time to tinker, except in a do or die final. You always need to be moving; it is only when you stop, you say 'my work here is done', that others get their chance to overcome you. It's not always going to come off - Fog doesn't get enough of the ball through midfield to be a mid, if you're going to play that game you'd be better off doing it with Williams as he's done it some before - but you always need to have an idea trialled up your sleeve that your opposition cannot plan to counter.

:thumbsu: 👏

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back