Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We won nearly every key statistic tonight, miraculously including stoppages. Yet we never looked like the better team all game. We never looked as hungry or desperate. What it shows is that we chipped around the ball with no dare or quick movement and when we do that we don’t have the foot skills to retain possession. We then bomb it down the line to Harry or Charlie, the ball comes to ground and we have no smalls to mop up and it slingshots back.

Team selection was diabolical IMO. Bulldogs have a bunch of small, quick players and we load up in height when we are already a slow team.

We need to get the team balance right, get the stoppage setups right, and start playing with more dare again to rediscover our mojo. I mean why on earth when you have the mismatch with Buku on Charlie are you not moving the ball quickly and creating that space.

I am very reliably told that is all about leg speed, especially in defence. Coaching staff don't believe we can win big games this way. I am also told Hewett is struggling with a back issue. Right or wrong that is the reasoning
Soapy if you have contact with the club can you tell them leg speed is great but if those players can’t get possessions or influence play, what is the point.

As for winning big games we’re not winning the little games at the moment, but let’s keep persisting.

Selection might be disregarding VFL as something that's going to give them a good performance indicator, given how poor that side has been. Probably the reason why Cottrell didn't come back through there, and why Ollie rarely does.

The sky isn't falling, yet, but we're close to the 'find out' part of '**** around'.

Almost had me believing for a while there

Yeah, I had finally decided I trusted them, and we were on our way to a GF. Some stats have been looking quite dodgy for us of late, but I knew we had this ace up our sleeve, where we could out-pressure any side. This blind trust lasted maybe 2-3 weeks and I've lost it again. What I see is alarming.

We are an embarrassment and pathetic football club. If that's the kind of effort and performance we bring for someone who has carried this club through the dark times then they should all be ashamed.

None more so than Charlie Curnow, a greedy and selfish performance for a player who's had a pretty terrible year.

Voss and the match committee absolutely spanked once again. You can't play TDK and Pitt. Cottrell absolutely dog shite, worst on ground for a second week in a row. Superstars are guaranteed spots back after 8 weeks, not role players who can easily be replaced.

Truly disgusting performance. They had no backline, no Treloar and murdered us through the middle. Kennedy as the sub? No Hewitt. Clueless.

This one gets me especially. We believe endurance is king and will overcome all, but you have to have some burst players that can tuck the ball under the arm and gap their opponents. We're adding two more players who will run all day, but lack pure pace in the draft this year. Everyone can see we are slow, except for those at the club. It has been 10 years of this now.
And then Austin targets cooper lord, who might be good but to my eye will offer more of the same(contest, pressure) instead of picking a player who fills a need

I know I’m echoing all lot of the comments on here. But agree, We lost it at the MC.
Messing around with a winning formula. Why? Just why?

Hewett has to be back next week. Surely.
Cotters to the ressies. Make him earn his spot. Has been nowhere absolute ball watching.
Pitto can bugger off back to ressies.we know 2 rucks doesn’t work. Just stop doing it.
Ollie. Good tackle on bont, but that was it. Not strong enough. Build the rig and come back.
Marchbank. Uugghh so bad. Not even vfl standard.
Walsh. Has credits in the bank but so ineffectual today. 27 possessions but really did nothing with them.
Curnow. Could’ve won it off his boot for us. 3.7 is inexcusable for the premier forward.

This one hurt. Feel so bad for crippa deserved so much better. Didn’t want to be carried off the field for his 200th. Reckon he was super dirty at his teammates. Can’t blame him.

Onto next week. Axe must swing at this weeks MC session.

As I have said before I believe our BEST side is as good as any. Issue for me is we fall away badly if we lose a few

If you replace Marchbank Pittonett Cottrell Ollie and maybe one or two others with Docherty Silvagni (massive losses) Martin Motlop McGovern Hewett & Williams our side has a very different look and confidence

I just feel we have too many average players we need to carry, and don't do enough, when we have a few injuries and way too much is left to our stars

Last edited:
I am very reliably told that is all about leg speed, especially in defence. Coaching staff don't believe we can win big games this way. I am also told Hewett is struggling with a back issue. Right or wrong that is the reasoning

I get that. But we are slow without them anyway and can’t win the ball.

Absolute stinker.
I'd expect the axe swung after that one. Dogs wanted it more.
Our midfield has been an abomination the last 2 weeks.
Our undersized backline is getting exposed once teams lock onto Weitering.
2 rucks experiment has to go on ice now unless we get some serious injury worries.

VFL match will be interesting for selection....
Not writing us off but we need to bounce back next week.
Indeed it will be. Martin, Cuningham, Young, Durdin and Motlop in particular

Absolute piss poor effort from the first bounce. Being at the game it looked like we were spent just going into that game.
We've just handed 2 position on the ladder to the Bombers if they win tonight,let that sink in.
Now that is quite depressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our coaches have so unnecessarily killed our momentum

Why the compulsion to bring Cerra and Cottrell straight back? They weren't ready and still aren't. Cottrell more so who is miles off it. There's no version of Cottrell being talented enough to warrant that treatment

And at the expense of Hewett? One of the hardest defensive runners in mid.

And then we decide on 2 rucks this week, wrong wrong wrong.

Word is we're in a block of heavy training load. Going to be all for nought because right now we've completely compromised our shot at a home final.

Absolutely should not have happened and this is just the typical Carlton bullshit I thought we had finally done away with.
If the heavy training load is correct this goes to show how inept our high performance and coaching panel is. To play Russian roulette when we haven't solidified a top 4 spot confirms it.

Been saying it for a while but I would really like to see Voss & Co change up a few things

Cincotta into middle or as a wing. He has leg speed, is tough and a beautiful kick. Like Durham at Essendon he could really change our midfield. Hewett can tag while helping with contested ball or even try Lord

Kemp to a Wing. He is NOT a defender. He can run, good mark and kick and would thrive. It's a role we desperately need fixing and he would be as good as Acres

Get Sam Durdin into side to help Weitering. We desperately need another big body in defence

ONE ruck please. The Loss of Jack is really hurting us. Young may be an option?

Motlop needs to come in. He adds x factor we need

Cottrell Ollie Marchbank out

Agree on Kemp. We are killing his career playing him as an undersized key defender. He has so many great attributes, and if he goes into the midfield, I can see him hitting the scoreboard a bit.

Agree on Cincotta. We see him as a lockdown small defender, or a midfield tagger who can't be trusted at stoppages. Yet our stoppages are calling out for someone who is quick and fierce. He's a midfielder ffs, send him after the ball.

Also agree on Sam Durdin. He has the height to take on the really big talls, and wouldn't panic like Young. I see him as a Sam Rowe type full back, that can set Weitering free.

Last edited:
Didn’t think Cerra was too bad TBH.

Walsh had it more but ineffective.

That game was built for Hewitt. Hasn’t fumbled below his knees all year. Doesn’t run over the ball like a LOT of our players did today and is a fair bit smarter than many.

He’s been in terrific form all year and we drop him for????????

Quite a few had stinkers today and I put that down to the unrelenting pressure.

Well played doggies, hopefully we learn from that.

Been saying it for a while but I would really like to see Voss & Co change up a few things

Cincotta into middle or as a wing. He has leg speed, is tough and a beautiful kick. Like Durham at Essendon he could really change our midfield. Hewett can tag while helping with contested ball or even try Lord

Kemp to a Wing. He is NOT a defender. He can run, good mark and kick and would thrive. It's a role we desperately need fixing and he would be as good as Acres

Get Sam Durdin into side to help Weitering. We desperately need another big body in defence

ONE ruck please. The Loss of Jack is really hurting us. Young may be an option?

Motlop needs to come in. He adds x factor we need

Cottrell Ollie Marchbank out

I agree that Kemp is not a defender. But on the wing he would be diabolical as he is fumbly below his knees and a bit of a panic merchant under pressure IMO. I’d like him as the third tall forward, leading in straight lines and with sticky hands in the air.

Our small defenders are shaky if we’re completely honest. Saad is the exception, he rarely gets beaten one on one. Boyd and Newman are both usually great by foot but not the best in body-to-body contests (see Newman being beaten by McNeil). Think we need to find a really good lockdown small defender to quell the oppos best small forward.

Also agree we are undersized in defence and we need to find another key tall, not at all convinced Young or S. Durdin are up to it though so we need to look at that at the end of the year. Weitering had a great intercept game as he does seem to have good synergy with Marchy. I’ve been a Marchy backer for a long time but I think he looks shot either body, mentally or both.

One ruck is a must. If our list was blessed with speed we could carry two but we are already slow and there’s enough evidence now to see that it hurts our turnover game with both.

Ollie and Cotters need a spell as they are offering nothing, run around like headless chooks ‘applying pressure’ and being brushed aside. But with an already slow team they get reprieves unfortunately.

Worse is Cripps has 2 top seasons left. Our Avg age is 26 and Austin list manager....we will fall off a cliff.
Yep our best chance is this or next year... can't have players thinking don't worry there's always next year... before you know it, your retired/injured long term. Game over.

Agree on Kemp. We are killing his career playing him as an undersized key defender. He has so many great attributes, and he is goes into the midfield, I can see him hitting the scoreboard a bit.

Agree on Cincotta. We see him as a lockdown small defender, or a midfield tagger who can't be trusted at stoppages. Yet our stoppages are calling out for someone who is quick and fierce. He's a midfielder ffs, send him after the ball.

Also agree on Sam Durdin. He has the height to take on the really big talls, and wouldn't panic like Young. I see him as a Sam Rowe type full back, that can set Weitering free.

Exactly. Sam is no star but will play a role, is physical and will a role and make Weitering better

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back