Preview 2024 Rd 18 Carlton vs Bevo's Bullies Saturday 13th July 4:35PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium - #CRIPPS200

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree the Ollie wing needs to be looked at. He’ll come good but we need another option at the moment.

Not a fan of pushing Walsh or Cerra to the wing as it takes too much away from the contest.

Kemp would work or even a different option like Cowan (not sure if he’s got the fitness though).

Cunningham for me, silk, beautiful kick, quick, strong and hungry…

I would like to get Kemp away from the back line but not on a wing!

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Marchy and Cunningham in for Kemp and Ollie.

Martin could be close as well…

Is it possible to have too many role players, even with Cincotta considered one? Can you afford to have role players who don't get much of the ball, instead of players like Hewett, who still plays a role but also hunts the ball and gets his 25 possessions every game? It was just a question, if our balance was right. It seems you think we can, which is perfectly fine.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see where you’re headed with your comments and you make sense!

I think it might be more about ‘polish’ as role players don’t usually have that X factor or a particularly stand out differential.

I think Mots (when super fit) and Cunningham (pure silk) will come into the conversation because the bring ‘it’ to the contest…

I understand the reasons behind their selection, but I believe that the list has its weaknesses. It is not particularly strong.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Collingwood won a grand final with
Cox,frampton,Lipinski,Hoskin-Elliott
Markov as their roll players could add more b-c graders to that list pretty easily

Prior to GWS, we won 5 games in a row, then one hour poor football, so can't see wholesale changes being made

Expecting us to bounce back harsh with a better level of intent

Voss not going to get a better chance than this to make the statement and reward quality players that should be in the side, especially if they’ve played well in the 2’s?? I’d have Marchy in as well. Can’t keep playing undersized back there. Thoughts???

Cunningham for me, silk, beautiful kick, quick, strong and hungry…

I would like to get Kemp away from the back line but not on a wing!

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Marchy and Cunningham in for Kemp and Ollie.

Martin could be close as well…
Martin needs to play VFL for a few games.

Marchbank is a chance this week, Cuningham continues to be over-rated.
Owies will play, poor decision for him to be sub, his form has been good the past 6 weeks.

Hewett will return l would think.

Prior to GWS, we won 5 games in a row, then one hour poor football, so can't see wholesale changes being made

I agree ,
One bad half out of 6 games and the Sky is Fallin in ….
People calling for Kemps neck after being played out of position - nudda
Marchbank is there if we lose a cupla defenders due to injury I reckon
In 22- Motlop, Hewett , Owies
Out - Cotts, Ollie and Fanta
Sub one of those 3
Cotts to play 2 in the Magoos along with Martin

I Think whilst we don’t like losing at all , it may do us good to reset and realise 120 minutes is required EVERY week

Especially when Weitering was either absent or hampered for the majority of that hour. We do really need a better plan for when he goes down during a match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who thought Ollie Hollands actually had a decent game against the Giants?

Sure he turned the ball over a bit, but some of our better players did it worse than him. He was also incredibly stiff on that high tackle call.

Would not be dropping him for this game. No clear alternatives that can replace his work rate and defensive smarts.

Crippa,

As a young man I’ve grown up watching a terrible era of the famous club. Throughout that period there was one constant, number 9.

I remember the days of going to school after a smashing, but I’d still hold my head up high and say “at least we got crippa”

Many times he could’ve left, and no one would’ve blamed him, but he stuck fat like a true warrior.

My favourite memory of him was the famous 4 and 40 game against Brisbane. He was at rock bottom the week before, got 11 touches against a first year tagger. No one responds better to the pressure than this man

I’ve quite literally grown up watching him and I’ve loved him ever since he did the no look behind the back handball.

Some may disagree, but for me he could easily end up being our clubs best ever player. To the other 22 players who will go into battle with him this Saturday, go out there and play like you have nothing left in the tank, cause he’s done that from day one

Thank you Crippa for all the great memories you have given me and thank you for the all the ones you will give from here

Love it!!!

Crippa kept my son interested when it was simply terrible for him to go to the footy. Just told him to watch Cripps play and a few jam doughnuts was the hook

Never forget in this third season, my wife took him at the age of 6 to the club in the hope he’d catch a glimpse of him.
They’d missed the training session and One of the staff had a chat and found out he was there for merch and training but more there to see Crippa so she went and brought him out.
Then a few years later we were out for dinner at Khao San Road in Moonee Ponds sitting up the front after a game and in walks Crippa and his parents. His dad could see how star struck my son was so came back and grabbed him to go and have a chat with Crippa.

Good stock the Cripps family

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Am I the only one who thought Ollie Hollands actually had a decent game against the Giants?

Sure he turned the ball over a bit, but some of our better players did it worse than him. He was also incredibly stiff on that high tackle call.

Would not be dropping him for this game. No clear alternatives that can replace his work rate and defensive smarts.

I get the feeling that’s why Cunningham played on the wing in the 2’s on Saturday…

IN: Hewett, Owies
OUT: Fantasia, Cottrell

I’m backing in Kemp.

2 days later I still think Hewett & Owies are must-have inclusions.

Given Cottrell was rushed back the MC must love him. I expect they will back him in. I don't see him getting dropped.

I could see Ollie being "managed". Cerra on the wing/HFF splitting minutes with Cottrell would work.

Fanta makes way for Owies, and becomes sub.

Doubt we make any more changes unless TDK's ankle or Weiters cork don't come up.

IN: Hewett, Owies
OUT: O Hollands (managed), Fantasia (to sub)

Is it possible to buy a GA ticket for this match? I didn't see the option when I looked.

Anyone who was in these discussion boards last week was witness to conversations about “how do you fit in player x, given player y is in great form?”

This week, there seems a push not only to fit in a number of players, but also to squeeze a few out.

The players who were in great form last week and couldn’t be squeezed out are now (in the eyes of some) on the chopping block this week.

My personal preference is for the MC to stick with the crowd who were in great form over 5 weeks rather than get nervous over the poor form displayed in 1 week. I think they deserve a chance to make amends.

A few players might be sore , but assuming everyone comes up as seems to be the clubs position the players it seems to me under pressure to keep their spots this week are Fantasia Cottrell Kemp and O Hollands. Possible ins (assuming Martin comes back via the 2s as he should) Binns, Carroll. Cunningham, S Durdin, Hewett, Lord, Marchbank, Motlop, Pittonet, Wilson & Young. .

I can't see anyone else. Hewett I think has to come back. Of the other possible ins I would say no to Durdin and Marchbank on their performances in the 2s both this week and overall, likewise Motlop though he was much better this week. Lord and Wilson impressive but want to see more of them. I think Wilson not ready for firsts yet and Lord I just need to see more of.

Not a lot of hurt factor I suspect but a goer and works hard defensively which would help in the firsts. Not quick though. Binns and Carroll I don't think are much of an upgrade, good seconds players and deserve a look at at some stage, not this week for mine.

Pittonet I don't think against the dogs despite their height they don't have the crash and bash ruckman. That leaves Cuningham and Young, both of whom have traits we need but issues that worry me. Both were good against the Giants after being ordinary previously. Both have shown they have the talent but not produced consistently. But this week I would take the chance on both.

Cunners body holds up and he is an upgrade on most of our smalls. Maybe as sub if concerned about his ability to run out a full game. I think we need a second tall defender and we simply haven't been playing one. It bit us badly against the Giants when Weiters was hampered and Kemp outsized as you would expect.

Perhaps should have tried McGovern or Weiters (despite the corkie) on Hogan but really showed up the risk of going into a game with only 1 genuine key defender. Problem is of course lack of a quality second option. Marchbank more of a third tall again and looking a mile off it at the moment, Durdin has been a good seconds player but not looking in particularly good form at the minute and Young unrecognizable from his 2022 self, but did have a much better game this week.

I say seize the moment and give him a shot. He also is a relief option in the ruck if we don't want to have Harry out of the forward line too long. Not expecting much but I would throw him the chance and say there's a spot for you if you perform. So if Hewett Cuningham and Young are the 3 ins, who of the 4 possible outs keeps his spot. That is a tough one.

Hollands was busiest but too often ineffective. Fantasia ineffective again and has really only the one good performance. Cottrell was poor but first up after a long break probably should have come back via the 2s, Question is having had the run do you back him to step up or do you send him back to the 2s to get miles in the legs.

Kemp slaughtered but shouldn't have been asked to stand Hogan, so I give him a Mulligan and he is the one who survives - besides which we probably need the extra height especially for the doggies so even though the changes aren't like for like I think that is actually a good thing.

Without looking at the Bulldogs lineup to contemplate specific matchups something like:
Newman McGovern Young
Saad Weitering Kemp
Acres Cripps E Hollands
Cincotta McKay Williams
Kennedy Curnow Owies
TDK Hewett Walsh
Boyd Cerra Cowan Fogarty Cuningham

If Weiters injury bad enough to rest him I'd bring in Durdin (been in better form than Marchbank and more genuine key position) and let him and Young compete for the 2nd KD spot. If both fall flat the incentive is there for Marchbank or we just live with the single KD structure for want of anyone putting their hand up.

It's probably an over simplification but you could argue tgat apart from getting in front of ourselves a bit the loss was caused by us being unable to deal with short term injuries to Weitering and McGovern, TDK being mauled and Charlie not contributing, at least in part, due to an injury.

It almost gave us a chance to do a bit of scenario planning and to determine who could take up some of the slack under duress and who couldn't.

We were a bit out of whack. Plenty already named who didn't contribute emough and are playing a similar role ( e.g. Cottrell and Fantasia). I've always thought that Cuningham gives us a different look and belongs in our best team. Might be a good time to hand him his final chance.

We need to find a way to ensure that Kemp can't get exposed again. We need to work out what we are going to do of TDK gets a bit banged up and is getting out muscled.

People want Kemp dropped, for who? Kemp shouldn't be playing on the opposition's best forward. He is critical to our turnover game and keeps his place because of his kicking and decision making. He needs to improve one on one's but that isn't happening this season, so play him on forwards who aren't strong 1 on 1.

Clearly Weitering not being healthy to slide across and help on Hogan exposed Kemp. But Kemp gives the team huge value especially with attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back