Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting discussion with kingy & Joey on afl360 tonight. Their segment was based on playing two rucks v not playing two rucks. I thought that it would be the normal lazy discussion however Kingy (with Champion data) had gone through all the data this year to work out the most effective rucks pre-clearance (at the hitouts) and post clearance (around the ground).

The most effective rucks pre-clearance are;
1) Marc Pittonet
2) Kieran Briggs
3) Sean Darcy
4) Tom DeKonning
5) Max Gawn

And the most effective rucks post clearance are;
1) Max Gawn
2) Ned Moyle
3) Luke Jackson
4) Tim English
5) Darcy Cameron

I guess that this tells us what we pretty much already knew in that both of our rucks (despite being diametrically opposite) excel in one area (pre-clearance) . However it was a surprise to see Pitto rated so highly. They did say that Sam Draper was rated 18th in one category and 21st in another.

Really funny. Shows you in one snapshot how useless information can be.

This in its literal sense (zero context) says we should be playing Pitto over TDK and it is also saying for stoppages Pitto is the best ruck in the AFL.

Obviously people watching games know that neither of the above premises are even close to the truth.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it.

Heard that we were +15 for first possession at stoppages, but we kept fumbling and turning it over. They said that Cerra fumbled to the opposition 'about 8 times'.
I think there’s something in the way the dogs tackled us though. They were very good at pinning one arm and we got done quite a few times for holding the ball. Think it caused us to panic and fumble not really knowing what to do.

He's been a victim this year of being too bogged down in a 'defensive role' and not given license to find the footy. I fear it's a trait becoming a wee bit too regular with Voss's style.

Love the way how Ginnivan speaks about this. At Collingwood got loaded up with role & process that his 'instinct' was taken away and he became less dangerous because of it. At Hawthorn Sam Mitchell has simply freed him up to hunt the footy and play instinctively. (Concede that Ginni probably didn't help himself off field either).

Totally agree with this, it's great to have roles and processes but sometimes a player will have an opportunity to hit or create a contest and don't do it as they are so focused on their role. It's a bit like a defender watching his opponent when they are 1 v 1 instead of the ball. (ie Williams v Elliott earlier this year)

It is, and always will be an instinctive game and I feel sometimes if you take that away from a player they lose what got them to that top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get this but I don’t like it. We’ve got too many of these situations - players need to stand up and perform well regardless of who is in the team….

Anywhere anytime anyone

Your right but some players need others to block/shepherd/make space/put bodies on others/defensive mechanisms I think George is the one player who does that well and we’ve missed the last two weeks with arrogant selection calls.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it’s a big game for Cinc I reckon teams have worked him out.LDU is the obvious choice but Sheezel might be the one he goes to.

You'd think Cripps and LDU would go head to head. I think it will be Sheezel.

Really funny. Shows you in one snapshot how useless information can be.

This in its literal sense (zero context) says we should be playing Pitto over TDK and it is also saying for stoppages Pitto is the best ruck in the AFL.

Obviously people watching games know that neither of the above premises are even close to the truth.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it.

They showed footage of Pitto tap work and the areas he put the ball, it was a highlights package so its just a snap shot but, Pitto was putting the ball in to great spots for our mids, they made the point that Pitto was doing a great job of giving us first use but it was then the mids and other players post stoppage letting us down.

They didn’t go in to effectiveness of Pitto around the ground, which is where he suffers, he is really good at the stoppage, but then he falls away.

He would be very valuable to a club looking at a number 1 ruck.

I think it’s a big game for Cinc I reckon teams have worked him out.LDU is the obvious choice but Sheezel might be the one he goes to.

Is it teams working him out or just Voss not picking a good match up? IN hindsight i think staying on Dale as a defensive forward the entire game would have been more beneficial.

Is it teams working him out or just Voss not picking a good match up? IN hindsight i think staying on Dale as a defensive forward the entire game would have been more beneficial.
Treloar would’ve been the perfect matchup had he have played

He shut Dale down after half time...it was a big ask to stop Bont...different shape to Butters and Merett
I thought he did a good job limiting Bont in he first half as much as CD have have rated him the 2nd best player on the ground to that point. The issue was the Dog made Dale their spare in defence. We needed to get Fog or one of the other small forwards to run with him and make someone else the spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back