Preview 2024 Rd 18 Carlton vs Bevo's Bullies Saturday 13th July 4:35PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium - #CRIPPS200

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He runs defensively as hard as anyone in the team, which creates outnumbers and helps prevent opposition scores. That’s why he’s in the team. It’s hard to use that ability when the ball is going in so deep from centre bounce.

He also plays a position that can get very little reward on the stat sheet, especially defensively. Hes not setting the world on fire, but he still executes an essential role for this team, and was a key part of why we won 5 in a row
we've a bottom 6 defense. The only time we seem to 'prevent opposition scores' is when weitering is fully fit. Don't think Ollie's providing much of anything that can't be improved defensively.

we've a bottom 6 defense. The only time we seem to 'prevent opposition scores' is when weitering is fully fit. Don't think Ollie's providing much of anything that can't be improved defensively.
Bottom 6 defense? Does that make the saints a top 4 defence because they’ve conceded the 4th least scores? That’s not how it works

Bottom 6 defense? Does that make the saints a top 4 defence because they’ve conceded the 4th least scores? That’s not how it works
Winning the grand final does not mean you won the grand final....

Wait....

Yes that's exactly how it works. What you're saying is different again. We leak scores badly. Sure we play offensively and the saints don't. So what? That's a pretty deliberate dumbing down of a point.

All I'm saying is last year Voss was all over defense first and we built a pretty damn good game off the back of defense. We've added layers and really only two players seem to consistently improve the team defense and that's weitering and Fogarty. Keeping someone like Holland's in the team when defensively we already leak terribly doesn't really make any sense. His contributions defensively aren't as big as they're being made out to be. His possession numbers are too low to point to him as the consistent outlet target out of defense and his opposing wingers have been particularly damaging many games this year.

Seems pretty obvious he's going to be a gun but it seems EVEN MORE obvious that every opposition coach is running their better winger through him whilst avoiding acres.... And it works.... Especially when weiters is hobbled and our forward half forgets how to pressure and zone.

This is a little out there: do you think it could become a “legitimate tactic” for clubs to have someone deliberately cork weitering? There’s enough evidence this season to show it clearly impacts both him and the team severely.

I remember a very aggressive player of ours who must have practiced it at training he was that good at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we won't have to worry about Jones this week, a guy that holds their backline together. Out for a few more weeks.........

AFL.com.au reposted

Josh Gabelich
@JoshGabelich·
8m

Liam Jones ruled out for up to a month. Moderate-grade MCL injury. Huge blow to the
@westernbulldogs
finals chances. More soft tissue issues for James Harmes & Jason Johannisen
@AFLcomau

This is a little out there: do you think it could become a “legitimate tactic” for clubs to have someone deliberately cork weitering? There’s enough evidence this season to show it clearly impacts both him and the team severely.

I remember a very aggressive player of ours who must have practiced it at training he was that good at it.

He’s copped a few but if you look at the incidents none of them appear intentional at all.

Play on.

It is bizarre though how often one guy cops a cork.

Just spitballing, off the top of my head I don't think he often jumps into contests knee up, perhaps always jumping legs down means there's more target to cop one? Not sure if that's complete bollocks or not but there's got to be a reason why it happens.

Meme Reaction GIF
I thought the same but assumed red man was taking the piss 😂😂

He’s copped a few but if you look at the incidents none of them appear intentional at all.

Play on.
I said could someone do it intentionally, not that it happen that way to date.

I suppose the bottom line is he needs to be able to play through it better than he currently does.

It is bizarre though how often one guy cops a cork.

Just spitballing, off the top of my head I don't think he often jumps into contests knee up, perhaps always jumping legs down means there's more target to cop one? Not sure if that's complete bollocks or not but there's got to be a reason why it happens.
Have you seen the size of his quads?

Honestly can’t wait to see the response from the team. We had our pants pulled down in Q2 and Q3, no shame in admitting it.

In such a tight season, our ability to bounce back will determine how far we can go.

Back at Marvel for the first of three games in a row, I’m expecting a strong performance to keep second spot + Crippa’s 200.

Winning the grand final does not mean you won the grand final....

Wait....

Yes that's exactly how it works. What you're saying is different again. We leak scores badly. Sure we play offensively and the saints don't. So what? That's a pretty deliberate dumbing down of a point.

All I'm saying is last year Voss was all over defense first and we built a pretty damn good game off the back of defense. We've added layers and really only two players seem to consistently improve the team defense and that's weitering and Fogarty. Keeping someone like Holland's in the team when defensively we already leak terribly doesn't really make any sense. His contributions defensively aren't as big as they're being made out to be. His possession numbers are too low to point to him as the consistent outlet target out of defense and his opposing wingers have been particularly damaging many games this year.

Seems pretty obvious he's going to be a gun but it seems EVEN MORE obvious that every opposition coach is running their better winger through him whilst avoiding acres.... And it works.... Especially when weiters is hobbled and our forward half forgets how to pressure and zone.
So if you play 18 players behind the ball every week, and concede 20 points a game, that will make you the number one defense. But it doesn’t mean squat if you don’t score more than that.

We leak scores because of our aggressive front half game. Yeah we concede one of the six most scores, but we are the second highest scoring team by a long way. It’s about finding that balance. It’s fine to concede 90 points a game if you’re scoring 125 each week. The saints were the number one defense last year, but had one of the worst offensive profiles in the competition, because of our defensively they set up.

Oh, and also, we hadn’t conceded more than 75 points in a game for almost two months before the weekend, while scoring 95+ in each game in that stretch. And Hollands was playing a key role in that. The agenda against him here is crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back