Preview 2024 Rd 18 Carlton vs Bevo's Bullies Saturday 13th July 4:35PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium - #CRIPPS200

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What that Voss needs to stick to his convictions and play one ruck for the rest of the season.

I can say it as many times as your like
Sometimes matchups lose. It happens. No one is suggesting Curnow needs help, everyones saying he needs to play better and that his efforts weren't close to good enough. Why can't we demand better of TDK instead of saying we need another?

If he wants to be the no.1 ruck, he needs to learn how to handle the mauling ruckmen. He goes against one every day at training so you'd think he's got a great platform for it.

Last edited:

Really looking forward to see how we respond this weekend, last week once again showed we have no problem scoring but have a huge defensive problem, all year we have allowed opposition to score way too easily, if it isn’t addressed we will fall short.

Weitering corkie can’t be blamed for allowing GWS to move the ball with ease all over the ground, he may have stopped Hogan from having a free run but the amount of ball coming in and the rate in which it comes, has been putting pressure on the defenders all season.

If we are a strong side we will win this week, no injury excuses, good sides get the job done.

Congratulations to Cripps, Carlton legend.

What that Voss needs to stick to his convictions and play one ruck for the rest of the season.

I can say it as many times as your like
we leave ourselves vulnerable if TDK gets injured or we come up against a brutish ruckman like Briggs,Sean Darcy or Gawn etc....Pitto will be playing finals for insurance [knowing Voss] and I think it's a question of horses for courses...Marchy is our 2nd best KPD and we need to persist with him and build up his confidence...Getting KO'd by Boyd who also fell on his shoulder & back and caused further injury was not Marchy's fault and that was the case of sliding doors

Last edited:
Just had a suss of their board...and looked into their injury situation. I had no idea there were so many injured!
Pretty much cooked for the year!
About as ripe for the picking as they have been all year - we better not drop this one!

P Cripps - 3 votes.

Just had a suss of their board...and looked into their injury situation. I had no idea there were so many injured!
Pretty much cooked for the year!
About as ripe for the picking as they have been all year - we better not drop this one!

P Cripps - 3 votes.
Who? The dogs? Isn't there like 5-6 out? (mainly short term)

Thought we could drop 1 of the Giants/Bulldogs games and be fine for top 4. Wouldn't want to drop both.

The Dogs at Marvel are far better than what they showed in SA last week.

Big danger game this one.

Finishing top four isn’t enough. We need to finish top two and get the home final. 3rd would likely have a trip to Perth to take on Fremantle or Brisbane at the Gabba. 4th would be a trip to the SCG to take on Sydney (based on my tipping and ladder predictor at least). Realistically we can probably only drop one maybe two games for the rest of the year. If we’re genuinely good, we shouldn’t be losing to any of Bulldogs, Hawks, Saints, Eagles, or the Roos (regardless of the venue). Port we should beat comfortably in Melbourne. Collingwood we shouldn’t lose to either but they’re always a challenge.

This week if we shut down Bailey Dale off half back (like we should have with Whitfield) and crack in harder for longer in the midfield then we win this comfortably. The Bulldogs have a great midfield. They have height up forward too but Darcy is young and JUH is pretty up and down with his form of late. Hopefully Weiters pulls up OK from that cork as we’ll be a bit undersized even with Naughton being out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finishing top four isn’t enough. We need to finish top two and get the home final. 3rd would likely have a trip to Perth to take on Fremantle or Brisbane at the Gabba. 4th would be a trip to the SCG to take on Sydney (based on my tipping and ladder predictor at least). Realistically we can probably only drop one maybe two games for the rest of the year. If we’re genuinely good, we shouldn’t be losing to any of Bulldogs, Hawks, Saints, Eagles, or the Roos (regardless of the venue). Port we should beat comfortably in Melbourne. Collingwood we shouldn’t lose to either but they’re always a challenge.

This week if we shut down Bailey Dale off half back (like we should have with Whitfield) and crack in harder for longer in the midfield then we win this comfortably. The Bulldogs have a great midfield. They have height up forward too but Darcy is young and JUH is pretty up and down with his form of late. Hopefully Weiters pulls up OK from that cork as we’ll be a bit undersized even with Naughton being out.
Whitfield had 3 score involvements, after having 3 the previous week too. Hes been hardly a factor for the giants the last few weeks. Agree that we’ll probably put time into Dale

Simple equation against the Dogs, if they do win a clearance, we need to force them back into a handball game and try and force a turnover in that chain

If they come out through the front of that stoppage, they'll hurt us

Also, need to pressure their distribution, run and carry on their HB line

Every time we make this statement it never actually eventuates. Against the bombers, against the cats, against Richmond, against GWS.

Yeah, it's not about individual defenders and their quality for Charlie. Any close checking tall defender can take him down if he's not 100% intensity. He needs the one on ones and he needs to fight and scrap.

Not too fussed on changes this week. I'm sure Vossy will back in Cottrell to reply and i'm sure he will.

Won't happen but I'd like to see us structurally with Durdin (or Marchbank) as second key back. Yes, i know their form isnt quite there but neither was Cottrell's who franked that thought with a terrible performance. Kemp wasn't average, he was horrific for 3 qtrs (albeit nothing to do with his fault - it's the club's fault for imposing on him the wrong position).

For those that say the club wont change...well out of nowhere they injected Cinc into 2 diff roles to see how that would change things. They changed their thinking from two rucks to 1 ruck. They changed Williams to a fwd pocket with no notice.

I'd personally like to see Durdin/Marchbank. Maybe more durdin structurally. To see if Durdin allows McGovern and Weits to find more intercepts and rebounds. Surely with Kemp, they are scared to leave him solo vs a big key fwd.

Kemp's howlers were nothing to do with the midfielders/HHFs not running like they normally do. I'd totally agree that level of defensive run wasn't there vs GWS. It is just Kemps short-comings were high ball in the air related; not overlap and lead based.

Not too fussed on changes this week. I'm sure Vossy will back in Cottrell to reply and i'm sure he will.

Won't happen but I'd like to see us structurally with Durdin (or Marchbank) as second key back. Yes, i know their form isnt quite there but neither was Cottrell's who franked that thought with a terrible performance. Kemp wasn't average, he was horrific for 3 qtrs (albeit nothing to do with his fault - it's the club's fault for imposing on him the wrong position).

For those that say the club wont change...well out of nowhere they injected Cinc into 2 diff roles to see how that would change things. They changed their thinking from two rucks to 1 ruck. They changed Williams to a fwd pocket with no notice.

I'd personally like to see Durdin/Marchbank. Maybe more durdin structurally. To see if Durdin allows McGovern and Weits to find more intercepts and rebounds. Surely with Kemp, they are scared to leave him solo vs a big key fwd.

Kemp's howlers were nothing to do with the midfielders/HHFs not running like they normally do. I'd totally agree that level of defensive run wasn't there vs GWS. It is just Kemps short-comings were high ball in the air related; not overlap and lead based.

Kemp is just not a key defender size. His athleticism and will helps him at times. He can keep up with a leading tall forward, but being able to run hard, then time his leap from behind to spoil a taller opponent at full strength is just not fair on him. He needs a chop out. Too many times against Hogan, he had his fellow talls wait on the ground behind the pack (Weitering), or not even be at the contest (McGovern).

This is where we have an issue. All of our defenders have strengths and weaknesses that do not complement each other.

Our 3 main talls are all good at intercepting, and good at working their opponent under the ball and taking marks from behind in a one on one contest.

Only Weitering is good in a pack. Gov can't defend in a one on one tussle. He needs prime position behind the ball, or floating in from the side. Kemp is decent in a one on one scrap and can contort to get a spoil in where necessary. He just can't elevate to stop the really tall opponents.

On the ground Gov and Kemp are good. Weitering positions himself well and disposes well from tight spots, but on the ground is not his go.

Newman lacks pace for a medium defender but gets by on positioning and guile. On the ground, his desperation is good but he will give away free kicks and can't catch anybody.

We 100% need another tall who can play on the big boys, isn't slow, and does not impede rebound momentum (Lewis Young). Josh Battle is a similar height to Gov and Kemp, but seems stronger in the contest. If we were to stay smaller and mobile, he'd be an acquisition. Not sure why we haven't looked at it.

We need to get Kemp up the ground. Make him a utility. He's wasted as a key defender.

We can't address this deficiency in the draft. We don't have the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back