Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a little hard to sit through, but ugly wins are welcome with the good. I’m struggling to understand how we have lost some dominance in the midfield. Credit to North, they played well and can see the improvement. Was disappointed with our first half and how we just blazed away i50 when we had one but also took no risk to change angle and come more corridor. We definitely seem out of touch, missing easy targets 20m away and just very poor decision making throughout. 5 day break will be interesting.

Cripps, Motlop, Hewett, Fogarty, Saad, Curnow, Cottrell the ones I can highlight here I think. Bank 4pts and let’s keep rolling and grinding the W’s out. I have belief within 5 weeks we will hit our straps again.

Last edited:
i didnt see to much of the game - very happy that Nigel got through the game - how did he perform?
Nigel will have no friends at MC meeting this week!
Liked what Carroll brought early, a role you'd hope Cerra can bring when/if he finds his form.

Was definitely a much improved Ollie, but those turnovers were brutal. He stays in the side but still a watch on him.

Cop the win and move on. Season pretty much starts now.
Can see Cerra moving to the role Carrol had once Boyd & McGovern are back in defense.

I have a theory with the infringing on Harry and Charlie. Maybe a tin foil hat thing but here goes. Teams go hard on the holding blocking etc Charlie and H thinking there’s a likelihood that umpires will maybe pay 1or 2. But I think many coach that umpires wouldn’t dare pay all of them.
Cost v benefit
I’ll go one further. The caning that CC gets in the media for the frees he does get. You can’t tell me that umpires aren’t unconsciously influenced by it.

Carlton are the Steven Bradburys of the AFL.
Others are losing around us which is the only reason we are still 2nd.
No way we are playing like a Top 4 side. We were very lucky to win against 17th
Compared with the Brisbane v Sydney game ... we wouldn't come near them the last 3 weeks.
Carlton are badly out of form and need to turn it around.
It's hard to see us holding 2nd ... so we need to prepare to travel to the SCG, GABBA, OO, AO if we end up 3rd or 4th.

Apologies for the rant. I'm not happy with the way Carlton are playing.
I'm expecting much better if we are going anywhere in this season's finals.
Way too many players are out of form

Last edited:
Very, very bad tonight. North gifted us a couple of goals … and the umps the only two in the last quarter.
One quarter of effort and commitment just not going to get results against better teams.
We are in second which is a great platform but there’s a golden opportunity here given all the interstate teams now likely to make top four. A premiership is possible.
We are in grave danger of letting that opportunity slide.

We're a game off 7th, incredibly lucky results have gone our way and the last three weeks have been pitiful. Dish this up in September and we'll get belted.

Also I never wanna see Cerra at half back or Durdin in the team ever again!

Good for you.

I’m more than happy where we are right now.👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess I should point out that North had only 9 games per player less experience than us, and still had an average age of 24.5, so it's not like we nearly gave it up to a team of kids.

Or maybe persevered with in his natural position so he can find form & continuity…..

Who does he replace though?

I think it's clear that Cripps, Walsh and Hewett is our best centre square combination.

We won, we are second, we are tracking to have our best ladder finish in 25 years and still so much whining and misery on this board.

I feel bad for those who refuse to allow themselves to enjoy the good times, especially after all these years of suffering.

We are playing finals this year, definitely a top 4 team and most likely top 2, not sure what there is to be unhappy about.

Does a team with 8 points for the season deserve the full narrative of the match day commentary?
I'd argue that was an insane call and commentary by the Fox Team.

Was bizarre to listen to. I know as a commentator you have to kind of barrack for the underdog in such a match, but they weren't even bothering to hide their absolute disappointment every time Carlton scored. All Carlton's free kicks were questioned, all North's were 100% there. Was just weird.

Acres was sore, came off a few times and then eventually subbed. Binns should come in on his wing, don’t see Sherrif getting up on a 5 day break

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Acres didn't look too bad singing the song, smiling and no bandages, so hard to know. They might actually "manage" Walsh, looked really sore late. If Boyd comes back, Cerra goes back on ball. McGovern in for Durdin and maybe Kemp for Cowan. Anyway that's for a different thread.

Was bizarre to listen to. I know as a commentator you have to kind of barrack for the underdog in such a match, but they weren't even bothering to hide their absolute disappointment every time Carlton scored. All Carlton's free kicks were questioned, all North's were 100% there. Was just weird.
It was very frustrating. I generally rate Jordan Lewis as someone with a bit logic to his thoughts and comments but even he was poor today

That was absolutely putrid. We have no business sitting second in our current form. Without a few lucky free kicks we might have lost to the second bottom team.

What has happened to Walsh? Cerra is an absolute liability as well. That was as good as another loss. We play like that the next few weeks we will lose comfortably.
Mate can you go and sook somewhere please. No business sitting 2nd? No idea.
The team we beat today have been pushing teams of late Plus we don't play at our best at marvel. So be happy with the win and realise we are five to six weeks out from finals and in a great place!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back