Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen enough of Pitto without TDK to see he's just not up to it being our #1 ruck, how we signed him up for fours I'll never know.

Got today, of our a graders, Charlie and Walsh have really underwhelmed me this year.

Wrapped with big H tho, while Crippa and weiters have just continued on

I know he has been injured, and he may still be carrying something, but he's out there so he gets judged accordingly. So, I don't even consider Walsh an A Grader right now. He's a B.

Cripps deserves another Brownlow for this season. He might get hurt by the losses piling up. A lot of Charlie's goals this year have come in a one quarter rush and he hasn't even been dangerous for the rest of the night.

I'm getting a lot of disagreement for my post, but if I was to try to be neutral, I don't necessarily think he has been the best forward in the comp this season, and I don't want him to think that getting an AA for it is the benchmark.

Or maybe he is the best forward, but he is only half as good as he is capable of being so it feels hollow to me.
I’ve thought is most of the season. Turning it on for 15 mins is not playing a good game. Imagine how much better he’d be if he did the basics like lead into space, and put in a 2nd effort instead of playing for frees. He’s untouchable because he’s a freak of an athlete.

Cripps deserves another Brownlow for this season. He might get hurt by the losses piling up. A lot of Charlie's goals this year have come in a one quarter rush and he hasn't even been dangerous for the rest of the night.

I'm getting a lot of disagreement for my post, but if I was to try to be neutral, I don't necessarily think he has been the best forward in the comp this season, and I don't want him to think that getting an AA for it is the benchmark.

Or maybe he is the best forward, but he is only half as good as he is capable of being so it feels hollow to me.
I get how you feel and don't disagree as such. I just don't really care if our guy "deserves" it or not, I'd rather them get it

But I know where you're coming from. He hasn't been the most impactful forward despite having the most goals.

Fwiw I was calling Charle out in the first 5 rounds of the season in post match threads for his efforts, but caveating it with his qtr efforts and total goals so can't be too critical - but really he's not been impressive all season, aside from as you say the odd burst here or there. He hasn't done that either for a good month now though

The real question is why?

WHY?!!!

WHY THE **** DO WE ALWAYS LOSE TO THESE ****S?!!

We look better on paper. We have better bookends. Players with greater potential and greater ceiling. Not to mention they're at the prime age.

Yet for some reason, we always crumble against these (for the most part, geriatric) buggers. They always have us by the balls. We're basically their *****!

It ticks me off. While I hate Essendon more, this team is fast taking the throne because I am sick of it, we can never beat them when it matters.

The record is ridiculous. The head to head ledger has turned well and truly in their favour.

Whenever they are crap, we find a way to be crapper against them?

Sorry for the melt. But it baffles me how much this team can wet themselves against the arch rival.

Because one team have mongrel in them and arrogance to reinforce their talent. The other team have some talent but no mongrel or confidence.

Oh and we have the worst line coaches in the AFL.

Because one team have mongrel in them and arrogance to reinforce their talent. The other team have some talent but no mongrel or confidence.

Oh and we have the worst line coaches in the AFL.
would love Teague back to coach the forward or back line but I don’t think he’d take our calls unfortunately

He did. Said he was proud of the effort and that we put up a fight instead of going the other way.

We're well past that messaging, I'm quite surprised how calm and positive he was tbh
To be fair it’s all he has going for him this year. Calm and positive. He’s been out coached in the vast majority of games. Including wins obviously. If he lost his composure at press conferences then they’d target him.

Unpopular opinion incoming!
Walsh's disposal over the last couple of months has gone seriously AWOL.
Even when we were winning he was liable to making unforced errors.
Is he carrying a worse back injury than we are being told? His disposal is usually pretty good but if you take the blue glasses off for a minute and look at all aspects of our game, it's definitely something I've noticed.
Not saying it's costing us games by any means but it's certainly alarming.
Grabbed his back multiple times tonight. He’s not right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people still defending Voss, what has he got on you lot to protect him? We have had minor progress at best since the second he’s walked in the door, the gameplan is close to non-existent both defensively and offensively, players have regressed with only a few improving slightly and we are still reliant on the same few
I post this every week and started after 2023 practice mstches but Nick Austin is more to blame-the list management sucks

We know how to get the ball, but we do not know how to use it well.
Getting the ball is talent and reading the play. Disposing of it effectively is system. We **** around and share handballs sideways and backwards because we have no where to go with the ball. Ever. We kick long because there's no other option. There are no open players. The running patterns are completely cooked. There is not rhyme or reason to the stoppage setups.

This teams form waxes and wanes based on the form of the superstars and only 2 are in form atm. Thats a ****ing disgrace. Good.systems take the load off the guns. This club is still looking for the Messiah to save it. I love Cripps but why is our gameplan 'maybe Cripps will save us.' and when he can't... 'maybe Charlie then...?'. Horrid.

Last edited:
Realistically, SOS built the list around the style that was winning premierships 5 years ago.

Some blame needs to go to Austin and co who have refused to pivot sufficiently enough in the years since SOS.

Some great additions to the list like Elijah and Acres but we've gone to the well and brought on too many duplicitous talent and who really don't offer sufficient point of difference.

So much so that when we have a healthy 22 we still question why a Hewett or a Kennedy is the sub. Imagine instead of putting best 22 contested mids as sub we actually had invested in speed or a quality third forward, KPD depth (freeing up Kemp), etc.

Overall list management has been mismanaged even though there is nothing inherently wrong with the specific players we've added. (I.e. good players but not what the 22 needs for winning football).

Last edited:
Don't think Ollie is a bad player, but as far as wingers go he's not excellent speed wise. Can gut run, but top speed is just average.
Ffs he’s a skinny 2nd year player, and his attack on the ball over 4/4, disposal and gut run is already way ahead of 3/4 of our list. That kid should not be one under any scrutiny. We’d be ****ed without those hollands boys, they both really bring it to our side. Take aim at Some of our older heads that are continually gifted games despite being inconsistent.

I might be wrong stat wise but I have personally noticed that the opposition has started spending less time on Cripps outside the stoppage and putting more time into Walsh to restrict the one two punch. It’s hurt both their games in the last few weeks from where they were a month ago.
I'm not referring to stats from contests though because that can always be 50/50.
In general play, even with no one anywhere near him, he has been picking out the opposition regularly.

Convinced this team is an experiment in inflicting maximum heartbreak. Not enough that we're 32 points down, let's kick 5 in a row to give the fans blind hope. Let's have a kick for goal after siren, and let's make it one of the best kicks in the team.

Only courtesy was the kick was a shank of the boot rather than looking like a goal than fading late.

We'd make a bloody good Jimmy Rees skit. No Jason! Let Mitch McGovern mark the ball and kick for goal after the siren...

Think we finally started to see some better footy late in the game, unfortunately left it too late

Will we start to click? Still can't get a read on it

Think we only played better footy when Collingwood was completely spent. Probably get on top a little sooner had Cez or Cotts not gotten injured but it is what it is. They were out on their feet early in the forth.

Ffs he’s a skinny 2nd year player, and his attack on the ball over 4/4, disposal and gut run is already way ahead of 3/4 of our list. That kid should not be one under any scrutiny. We’d be ****ed without those hollands boys, they both really bring it to our side. Take aim at Some of our older heads that are continually gifted games despite being inconsistent.
He's not under scrutiny I'm not sure you've understood the context of the post

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back