Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ffs he’s a skinny 2nd year player, and his attack on the ball over 4/4, disposal and gut run is already way ahead of 3/4 of our list. That kid should not be one under any scrutiny. We’d be ****ed without those hollands boys, they both really bring it to our side. Take aim at Some of our older heads that are continually gifted games despite being inconsistent.

hes actually quite good inside the contest. I think he will become an excellent midfielder but the key for him is just putting on size

Said last week. We have been stagnant for the last 5 weeks. Long bombs down the line to contest.

Said we needed to go back to attacking and taking the game on. We do that for half a qtr and we nearly win.

Seriously has looked like a Malthouse game plan with our shitty high kicks down the wing.

Release the shackles and let the boys attack all out and play on instant for the rest of the year.

Last qtr best qtr we have played in some time. Hoping that kick starts our season again.

in the end we did enough to win but somehow lost.
This is the silver lining for me too. We finally took some aggressive kicks on and played some positive footy, not super safe footy.

I hope this unlocks our attacking approach going forward and isn't just put down as last ditch desperation. Some of it yes but some of it we need to implement going forward.

Think we only played better footy when Collingwood was completely spent. Probably get on top a little sooner had Cez or Cotts not gotten injured but it is what it is. They were out on their feet early in the forth.
Cotts should have never been straight back into the team after such a long layoff.

Cotts should never have played wing when Acres went down.

Hewett should never have been dropped.

Cerra should never have been on a back flank.

Our whole season was built on the "next man up" message, but it was a load of bullshit once push came to shove. We just shoehorned 'name' players into the team.

I don't rate Binns, but when he didn't get a shot on a wing the entire narrative of this season rang hollow imo.

Last qtr best qtr we have played in some time. Hoping that kick starts our season again.

in the end we did enough to win but somehow lost.
Kick starts?

We're in danger of missing the 8 now because of this loss. More like stuttering to a halt.

My take is this -
We are back in form after the last month of drudge.
we were within a hitting the post x 3 of winning the game. We were within 4 or 5 easily mised shots of dominating the game.

I see a lot of upside. Kemps best game, for instance. H and C having almost zero influence on the scoring, yet we loose by a dodgy decision or two. A decision or two better, by players or umpires would have turned the game.

'It was a damned close run thing' Said Wellington after Waterloo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick starts?

We're in danger of missing the 8 now because of this loss. More like stuttering to a halt.
Chin up, mate

At the end of the day we are playing some good football but obviously not for long enough, and not enough minimising goal leakage when the game isn’t being baked don our terms

Maybe we need some media pressure on Voss ala beverdige Hinkley - seems to have worked for the dogs and power 😂

My take is this -
we were within a hitting the post x 3 of winning the game. We were within 4 or 5 easily mised shots of dominating the game.

I see a lot of upside. Kemps best game, for instance. H and C having almost zero influence on the scoring, yet we loose by a dodgy decision or two. A decision or two better, by players or umpires would have turned the game.

"Back in form", if that was true, we would've won this game. Easily. But the reality is - we only played for one quarter, like we did the past month. That's not good form. That's shit form.

I remember listning to craig mcraesaying how important the carlton game was for them everytime as a club. They let the fans talk to the players about how much the rivalry means to them. I just dont know if Voss understands it like that, or if it does then it just doesnt mean enough to him

Know for a fact vossy made the players watch the 2022 loss this week…he gets it…but he can’t coach…we have a poor list…

My take is this -

Glass half full is fine but i don't think you're reading the room at this moment...Tonight is for mourning and tomorrow is a new day.

Dear MC, unless injured or playing continual stinkers, don’t ever drop Hewett again.
Cripps tried everything to get us over the line there. I feel sorry for him.
Bad ball movement kills us. I am over our obsession of over handballing, especially at stoppage to get clear space. We always go one or two extra we don’t need. We also took 3 quarters to show some guts at the contest and pressure. Too late.

Cerra needs to be iced for the year and we need to get him properly sorted, Germany or wherever he needs to go.
We need some speed and some better game day coaches to help out Vossy when things go sour. He struggles sometimes, evident the last 6 weeks. Was a massive problem with Teague and Bolton, Voss needs to make sure he doesn’t fall into the same habit.

Gov, I mean it was a shocker and you should not have taken it if your head wasn’t right, but it ain’t your fault. We were poor and bang average.
I don’t know how this year ends now, but I have no belief we do any damage in September if we make it through. We look cooked.

Chin up, mate

At the end of the day we are playing some good football but obviously not for long enough, and not enough minimising goal leakage when the game isn’t being baked don our terms

Maybe we need some media pressure on Voss ala beverdige Hinkley - seems to have worked for the dogs and power 😂
Kicking 1.8 in a quarter and being behind by 5 goals isn't "good football". Losing 4 of our last 5 isn't "good football". Losing to a team that was in terrible form the last month isn't "good football".

Thought the loss to GWS would be a speed hump along the way..nope.

Thought we'd lift for Crippa who's given so much so many times..nope.

Thought we'd lift against Port with a chance to pretty much lock in top 4..nope.

Thought we'd lift with finals on the line, and a chance to spoil Pendles 400th and the Pies chances of making the 8...nope.

The sad and frustrating thing is that our best footy is good enough to match it with anyone..and we've proven that. Even if we make finals, we'll just be making up the numbers. Tonight's game was finals like and we buckled under the pressure.

I don't know wtf is wrong with the boys but IMO:
  • Voss needs help tactically.
  • We need more leg speed in the team.

I really hope we can address both in the off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back