Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hit the post three times, missed a handul of sitters, Hollands burnt Curnow for what would have been a stroll in goal, terrible field kicking, no impact from key forwards, 3-4 soft frees in their F50. Lost after the final siren.

It's a terrible loss and a terrible run of form. But not terminal. The strangest year I can recall in terms of momentum and form lines...we have an opportunity to wrestle back some form ahead of finals.

Last edited:
Anyone thinking the last 15 mins was reason to get excited is I’m sorry delusional.

This team is so far from what we were 6 weeks ago it’s not funny.

You can ask all the questions in the world about what’s happened to the players but at the end of the day the fish rots at the head.

That press conference last night was embarrassing.

If you saw how many supporters were heartbroken and wanting to give up their memberships and people flat out crying you wouldn’t say I was proud of that effort not to give up.

Not good enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Early bad sign for Carlton was Kennedy as sub.

Writing on the wall for a loss was Carlton's dominance in the first, easy misses for only 1- 8
1-8 against Collingwood was a clear sign we weren't going to win.
To think that we can continually blow our chances like that against Coll'd and still win is fantasy

As close as we got at the end - Carlton did not deserve to win that ... we were terrible.
Stealing the win would have only glossed over our many flaws.

I often wonder what someone like Fog would be like if he were in the body of Charlie or even the body of someone like Honey

Imagine those footy smarts inside a freak athlete, the potential would be incredible

That’s what champions are I suppose, Bont, Cripps, Daicos etc. all have some freak attributes and all have enormous footy smarts

We desperately need a small who can crumb, Williams was huge for that - Motlop lacks the smarts I fear
Motts is still young and has only just returned from his foot injury.

Still believe that he has the highest ceiling of all our small forwards. Needs a solid pre season next year and then we should start to see what he can really do.

I don't remember the pies 'few posters', so no.

Well they happened... whether you like it or not.

I remember 1.8 in the first qtr when we should have wrapped the game up, such was the field dominance.

Yep. Like I said, because of taking shots from the arc...

I remember them getting 3-5 goals from dubious umpiring.

Meh... we got away with a few dubious calls too... denying that is delusional.

I remember them being able to throw rugby passes over their heads and not get pinged for a throw. (my pet hate)

Like it or not, that is going to keep happening... and it happens both ways too...

I remember Jesse M missing from the goal square.

Yep. Inexcusable. For a guy who's been out for the majority of the season, you get called up and you can't kick those? **** off.

I remember H and C not kicking a goal between them. Despite Chas being scragged and blocked all game.

Not good enough. No excuses. 2 Coleman medalists and they can't take a mark and kick a goal? Pathetic. H got owned by freaking Frampton of all people... even Pies supporters were shocked.

I remember Charlie being triple teamed, yet we still kicked the thing to him.

Yep. So again, like I said, dumb decision making...

I remember we were a man down for 1/2 of the game after Cerra did his hammy (that they apparently knew was dodgy)

Yep. Knew there was more to his move to hb than they were letting on. Russell is going to struggle to keep his position imo.

Yep we did some dumb things, like starting Kennedy as the sub,

His versatility makes him an ideal sub. But yeah, I wasn't so keen on it.

and playing Cerra at half back, and not using either Cotts or Cinc to blanket Ndaks or Pendles.

Mind boggling decision from the coaches box.

Yes Pitto is not much more than a witches hat once the ball is out of the centre circle, but what other options are there?

Other than Mirkov... none. And Pitto knows it. But there's more to it imo. When the decision was made to bring in players like they did with Cerra and Cottrell with no need to build form in the 2's and then Hewett gets dropped despite his good form... what message does that send?

Pitto knows that once TDK is fit, back out he goes, immediately. No wonder it's a shot to his confidence.

Other dumb things like dinky passes from FB that get intercepted. or pushing defenders so far up the ground, they get over the top, walk in goals without breaking a sweat.

Again, dumb decision making.

I remember that despite all the doom sayers, we lost by one errant kick.

The final margin is irrelevant. Pies were nothing special, had we been more disciplined and played to our higher standards, we would've beat them comfortably.

I’ve seen some blame the ump here, if Gov was injured, dazed, groggy, head thumping or whatever from a head knock, it’s on him to take the kick or not.

Put some responsibility on our players
Except that part of the whole issue around concussion is that judgement is affected. People who are concussed often think they are 100% fine, but they are actually impaired.

That's why we're in the era of having medical HIA's rather than "Hey you good to go mate?"

Anyone thinking the last 15 mins was reason to get excited is I’m sorry delusional.

You can ask all the questions in the world about what’s happened to the players but at the end of the day the fish rots at the head.

If you saw how many supporters were heartbroken and wanting to give up their memberships and people flat out crying you wouldn’t say I was proud of that effort not to give up.

Not good enough.

I’m pretty sure you are allowed to be crying and not proud and heartbroken. Others are entitled to think we have turned a corner. Are the latter delusional? Maybe or maybe not. I guess we’ll see. Either opinion might be right, or it might be wrong. In the end, the positive posters are dyed in the wool Carlton fans like yourself. It’s a big tent, and there is room for both opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cox is a better kick for goal than curnow and McKay…for a guy that was born in the USA he has more football smarts than both of them combined…was he born with it or is he better coached?
It's called "confidence" and the big Yank has it in spades.
There's the difference.

Not good enough.

Yep. Sadly there's only a couple that can handle the weight of expectation and sort of pressure, the rest are downhill skiers.

Weekly reminder that when you kick a goal the ball goes back to the centre and nothing stays the same.

There is an infinite number of scenarios that could have played out.
Weekly reminder that when you kick a goal you gather momentum, the ball goes back to the centre with a 6-6-6 setup, and the team with momentum has even more chance of that continuing.
Weekly reminder that missing easy set shots deflates confidence and momentum, give the oppo heart and belief and an ability to flood back and thrust forward (as they did with great success 2-3 times)

I don't blame Gov. If players are to be blamed, blame H, Charlie, Mots.
In the first qtr when Charlie put the ball to the perfect position in front of Harry and big H clapped him for it, I thought 'we were on'. That first kick in front was perfect. Then we went back to selfish shit, everyone trying to nail goals from outside 50 or tight angles, or bombing it onto H/Charlies heads instead of doing the team thing and putting it out front in a gap for a forward to lead onto.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back