Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyond Blue

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton-vs-WCE.png

Growing up in Perth supporting Carlton has been tough. This match up in particular has been a particularly harsh one over the years even when we were a powerhouse in the late 80s-90s the Eagles would always set themselves for Carlton. They hated us. Then during their rise and our descent they belted us to the point the rivalry became so lopsided that far worse than hating us, they just laughed at us, so irrelevant we had become to them as a respected foe. Under Voss we have turned them over comfortably in the last 3 contest but those games count for little next week as they look healthy for the first time in years and we are limping to the line horrendously out of form and with a injury list that seems only to grow longer with each passing week.

The injury carnage coming out of the Hawks game means I have absolutely no idea what our team will look like. A big part of me thinks that our season is over and we should pack everyone up who’s carrying an injury, get the surgeries they need, and turn our focus to 2025. The defeatist messaging from the players, coaches and the staff doesn’t give me much hope we are capable of turning things around. The AFL is a tough league where you need good management, resilience and some luck and at the moment I’m questioning whether we have any of those things. Anyway that is a discussion for another thread.

It’s hard to think any of Charlie, Martin, Boyd, Fogarty and Saad will play this game, so that’s 5 changes before addressing the form of Motlop, Ollie, and Pitto who all deserve to be dropped. BUT…who comes in and do we even have 8 fit players to take their spots? Do we just put Young in to replace Charlie or try Lemney? Mirkov for Pitto in the ruck? Should we give Wilson a debut at half back? Drop Motlop for who, Durdin? Binns in for Ollie on a wing? Does Carroll come in? Lord has looked good in the midfield but I doubt he plays there so do we debut him out of position at half forward to replace Fog? We’re up to 4 debutants and Binns who’s as good as a debutant (given he played all of 10 minutes on debut). Do we give Moir a debut? Hell, why not Akeui too? What an effing mess? That all said I firmly expect Voss will only make enforced changes and won’t go too far removed from playing the usual players we see so as disappointing as it sounds I don’t expect too many changes.

West Coast on the other hand seem to have turned a corner this year and even with Simmo being moved have found some stability and continuity in the last month under Schofield. Harley Reid has breathed new life into their club, he is a star already and is only going to get better which is scary. He’ll take us on at every chance and try and exploit our lack of speed. They’ve also had a better run with injuries to the old guard so the likes of Gov, Yeo and Barrass are all playing consistently well which makes a massive difference. Oscar Allen up front also gives them a genuine threat close to goals. In front of their home crowd West Coast will think we are ripe for the picking and it’s hard to disagree such is our current malaise. Our form line is as awful as our injuries. It’s hard not to think the players and coaches don’t have the resilience to work through all the challenges and overcome them. I have zero expectations in them to turn it around. I suspect West Coast will get the better of us and finish our season off once and for all.

Last edited:
My changes:

Out: Curnow (inj), Fogarty (inj), Saad (inj), Martin (inj), Boyd (inj), Pittonet (omit), Owies (omit)

In: Lemmey, Mirkov, Wilson, Lord, Moir, Fantasia, Binns

Voss' changes:

Out: Curnow, Fogarty, Saad, Martin

In: J Carroll, C Durdin, Young, Binns

My team:

Cowan Weitering Kemp
Wilson McGovern Cincotta
O Hollands Cripps Acres
E Hollands McKay Moir
Motlop Lemming Kennedy
Mirkov Lord Walsh

Newman Hewett Binns Fantasia

Sub: Williams

Really should be,
Out all injured: Charlie, saad, McGov, Fog, Martin, acres, Boyd

Will be;
Out: Cowan

In: Marchbank

Surely you could find a way to drop Kemp along with Cowan?

Surely it’s time for some changes to structure and roles?

B: Cowan Young McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Newman
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah Kennedy Williams
F: Kemp McKay Motlop
Foll: Mirkov Walsh Lord
Int: Carroll Hewett Cincotta Owies (Marchbank/Durdin)

I don’t know if we have anyone else?

Our boy Lewie Young.

Bugger fb, plonk him at ff, put him down for 9.😎👍

My changes:

Out: Curnow (inj), Fogarty (inj), Saad (inj), Martin (inj), Boyd (inj), Pittonet (omit), Owies (omit)

In: Lemmey, Mirkov, Wilson, Lord, Moir, Fantasia, Binns

Voss' changes:

Out: Curnow, Fogarty, Saad, Martin

In: J Carroll, C Durdin, Young, Binns

My team:

Cowan Weitering Kemp
Wilson McGovern Cincotta
O Hollands Cripps Acres
E Hollands McKay Moir
Motlop Lemming Kennedy
Mirkov Lord Walsh

Newman Hewett Binns Fantasia

Sub: Williams

I think you might be very close got nothing to lose.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: Boyd (inj), Curnow (inj), Fogarty (inj), Martin (inj)

Playing injured: McGovern (hamstring), Acres (shoulder)

In: Binns, Lemmey, Lord, Carroll.

Big ground, wide open spaces, opponent with speed.

WCE by 35 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we win the next 2 matches, it'll be extremely hard for us to miss the 8, so here's my attempt to keep the wheels on the wagon while we course correct and account for varying levels of injuries:

OUT: Fogarty, Curnow, Saad, Owies, Boyd, Martin, Pittonet (all inj)
IN: Fantasia, Lemmey, Wilson, C.Durdin, Carroll, Moir, Mirkov

FB:
McGovern Weitering Cowan
HB: Wilson Kemp Newman
C: Acres Hewett Walsh
HF: Williams Lemmey Motlop
FF: Moir McKay C.Durdin

R:
Mirkov Cripps Carroll

Int:
Kennedy (mid), Cincotta (def), E.Hollands (mid/fwd), Fantasia (forward)
Sub: O.Hollands

Get Williams up the ground a bit at times to assist the wings, get Motlop in some on-ball looks, get Walsh way more outside at centre bounces. Fantasia and Durdin can also work up the ground a bit through the match.

Cowan - Weitering - Kemp
Newman - McGov - Wilson
Acres - Cripps - O. Hollands
Williams - McKay - E. Hollands
Owies - Lemmey - Motlop
Mirkov - Hewett - Walsh

Carroll, Binns, Kennedy, Cincotta
Sub; Lord

Out; Curnow, Saad, Pittonet, Boyd, Fogarty, Martin

In; Wilson, Binns, Lemmey, Mirkov, Lord, Carroll

Coast are up and about. 50 50 game imo. Voss said that there will be a response. Go the nuckle 🧨..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

what response will that be? Pretty sure they have talked it up for the last 6 weeks that there would be a response after a loss.

First we were playing for top 2 spot (no response), top 4 spot (no response) and now just to make finals (no response). Only thing Carlton have been consistent at is No pressure, can’t tackle to save themselves, no offensive structure, no defensive structure have players get injured in the first quarter and getting smashed in the midfield.

Just embarrassing what has happened to this club in the last 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back