VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a long time watching these games and 0-1 players put their hands up. Start of the season we are looking at how good our reserves and depth should be, then injuries happen.

Now we are just getting back to that. Cuningham, Motlop, Pittonet, Lord, Young all played well enough to earn a spot should one arise. Wilson and Binns were also strong, would be good enough to make it into lesser sides as well. Marchbank would probably lift if played in the AFL but he needs to do more. So we have 'reserves' again.

I don't think it will push any changes. This midfield is our best midfield. I don't think our forwards will be under much threat either. Two way running and defensive pressure is a massive part of our forward line. Can Motlop do that? In saying that guys like Owies and Williams will want to have a good game tonight.

Only Wilson put his hand up as a defender and his game wasn't strong enough to worry our AFL defenders.

With Hewett on ice for the midfield I don't see any VFL mids breaking in. Maybe as sub. I think Motlop may push his way in as a sub.

The current side is a bit like the Australian Cricket team of the early 2000s. Heaps of guys in the state come making 100s after 100s and they had to keep doing it so that when a spot opened up it was theirs. Same goes to these VFL boys. Just keep pumping put these high level games, deliver what the coach wants.
Agree with a lot of this but the sore thumb is still Orazio. He does some nice things but overall isn't involved enough to outweigh his absolute weakness at the contest. The sooner he's dropped for Motlop or Martin the better (even if that involves some sort of other reshuffle).

Agree with a lot of this but the sore thumb is still Orazio. He does some nice things but overall isn't involved enough to outweigh his absolute weakness at the contest. The sooner he's dropped for Motlop or Martin the better (even if that involves some sort of other reshuffle).
Cuners is now ready to take Fantas spot. Be surprised if Davey is not promoted after his excellent game in the VFL.

Best on, for mine.

Great to hear.

I didn't watch the game, so only looking at stats.

But what position did Davey play? Is he playing that HHF role?
Played in the midfield most of the game. Cannot recall him ever being in the forward 50. He is versatile and seems to do better when tasked with being accountable for a certain player, rather than just play with freedom.

However I have no doubt, if given Fantas role. He would be up to the task. Has the fitness, has the wheels and is a smart player. Also knows how to stick a tackle, laid eight on the weekend.

Played in the midfield most of the game. Cannot recall him ever being in the forward 50. He is versatile and seems to do better when tasked with being accountable for a certain player, rather than just play with freedom.

However I have no doubt, if given Fantas role. He would be up to the task. Has the fitness, has the wheels and is a smart player. Also knows how to stick a tackle, laid eight on the weekend.
Yeah agree. Had 29 and 6 clearance playing up around the midfield. Think it’s time for cuners to come in. He’s had 3 games under his belt now

We can hope for an upgrade. Problem is Motlop is a downgrade defensively, his pressure and two way run are miles away. Can we make it work? Perhaps move Williams up the field and Motlop into his forward pocket position if he is up to it. Martin is a sublime talent but where his body, fitness and form are at is an unknown. It's a tricky one, we have a lot of workman forwards who are getting games because they work hard, run hard and stay fit. Fogary is in the same boat as Fantasia and Cottrell. They just rarely touch the footy or kick goals and offer very little offensively. This is where our forward line has weak spots. With everyone fit, Fantasia, Cottrell and Fogarty don't get games IMO. But fitness is the key as the foundations of our game plan and any good side is pressure and defence.

We can hope for an upgrade. Problem is Motlop is a downgrade defensively, his pressure and two way run are miles away. Can we make it work? Perhaps move Williams up the field and Motlop into his forward pocket position if he is up to it. Martin is a sublime talent but where his body, fitness and form are at is an unknown. It's a tricky one, we have a lot of workman forwards who are getting games because they work hard, run hard and stay fit. Fogary is in the same boat as Fantasia and Cottrell. They just rarely touch the footy or kick goals and offer very little offensively. This is where our forward line has weak spots. With everyone fit, Fantasia, Cottrell and Fogarty don't get games IMO. But fitness is the key as the foundations of our game plan and any good side is pressure and defence.
Fanta vs Cottrell
I think in-form Cottrell is in our best side, but he's probably a few weeks away from recapturing that form. For mine he's an upgrade on Fantasia in all aspects other than score assists (but Cottrell is a better kick for goal and vastly better at the contest).

Fanta vs Cottrell
I think in-form Cottrell is in our best side, but he's probably a few weeks away from recapturing that form. For mine he's an upgrade on Fantasia in all aspects other than score assists (but Cottrell is a better kick for goal and vastly better at the contest).
I don't know if either are really in our best 22. I would seriously consider Cuningham over both of them at the moment who does a good job defensively and offensively is better than both. I think we will also discuss Williams moving from forward pocket to forward flank and Motlop coming in to the forward pocket. Is Williams fit enough to do the running? Maybe. His class would be great up the field.

I think Fogarty, Cottrell and Fantasia are all a much of a muchness. Strong runners who do the running but don't get much ball or kick many goals. All three are in at the moment. I could easily see all three being replaced by Martin, Motlop and Cuningham who as footballers are a class above but aren't likely able to do the running.

The big question is, would this stuff up our defensive capabilities of our forward line and our general team defence?

I don't know, you may be right. I just thought Cottrell was terrible on the weekend. We both know he can play better. It's going to be interesting to see what the coach does. A lot available this weekend as well as a good group of players in the 2s putting their hands up. Despite the loss, things are pretty positive.

WATCH HERE

FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS vs CARLTON​

Sunday 14 July, 12:00pm, Mission Whitten Oval
Head-to-Head: 7-7; At MWO: Footscray 1-0; Streak: Footscray 1; Last Time: Footscray 9.15 (69) def Carlton 9.10 (64) – April 29, 2023, ETU Stadium

FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS
B:
A. Jones (32), W. Lewis (64), D. Bedendo (26)
HB: A. Scott (28), C. Daniel (35), C. Clarke (8)
C: L. Cleary (36), O. Baker (13), J. Gilbee (69)
HF: E. Hunt (56), J. Busslinger (5), L. Smith (40)
F: R. Garcia (38), B. Young (67), C. Craig-Peters (61)
R: A. Keath (42), J. Kellett (57), C. Owen (62)
INT: T. Bianco (58), D. Orgill (50), B. Crofts (54), C. Smith (55), L. McArthur (71)*
EMG: T. Maple (65), A. Bade (68), K. Stretton (66), D. Moloney (75)

IN: C. Clarke, A. Keath, W. Lewis, L. McArthur, C. Smith
OUT: C. Poulter (AFL), C. Hargraves (hamstring), P. Spicer (wrist), D. Moloney, S. Willoughby
NEW: Lachie McArthur, 18, 188cm, Keilor/Western Jets

CARLTON
B:
S. Durdin (38), L. Young (55), L. Young (33)
HB: L. Prout (74), D. Akuei (41), R. Monahan (34)
C: G. Hewett (29), J. Binns (25), D. Cuningham (28)
HF: A. Moir (43), O. Fantasia (14), J. Motlop (3)
F: J. Martin (21), H. Lemmey (31), H. O'Keeffe (40)
R: A. Mirkov (45), C. Lord (36), J. Carroll (16)
INT: W. Hayes (59), N. Cahill (54), L. McMahon (52), W. White (77), O. Badr (72)*
EMG: A. Stevens (64), H. Gill (62), H. Ramshaw (51), Z. Maher (50), K. Ferronato (63), C. Verrell (71), L. Nelson (57), H. Nosiara (69)

IN: O. Fantasia, G. Hewett, J. Martin, H. O'Keeffe, L. Prout
OUT: C. Marchbank, M. Pittonet (AFL), B. Wilson (illness), Z. Maher, L. Nelson

Jack Martin makes his long-awaited return, but Wilson misses with illness. All emergencies named, and should play, given the match is on Sunday, unless there's a late change or two...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS vs CARLTON​

Sunday 14 July, 12:00pm, Mission Whitten Oval
Head-to-Head: 7-7; At MWO: Footscray 1-0; Streak: Footscray 1; Last Time: Footscray 9.15 (69) def Carlton 9.10 (64) – April 29, 2023, ETU Stadium

FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS
B:
A. Jones (32), W. Lewis (64), D. Bedendo (26)
HB: A. Scott (28), C. Daniel (35), C. Clarke (8)
C: L. Cleary (36), O. Baker (13), J. Gilbee (69)
HF: E. Hunt (56), J. Busslinger (5), L. Smith (40)
F: R. Garcia (38), B. Young (67), C. Craig-Peters (61)
R: A. Keath (42), J. Kellett (57), C. Owen (62)
INT: T. Bianco (58), D. Orgill (50), B. Crofts (54), C. Smith (55), L. McArthur (71)*
EMG: T. Maple (65), A. Bade (68), K. Stretton (66), D. Moloney (75)

IN: C. Clarke, A. Keath, W. Lewis, L. McArthur, C. Smith
OUT: C. Poulter (AFL), C. Hargraves (hamstring), P. Spicer (wrist), D. Moloney, S. Willoughby
NEW: Lachie McArthur, 18, 188cm, Keilor/Western Jets

CARLTON
B:
S. Durdin (38), L. Young (55), L. Young (33)
HB: L. Prout (74), D. Akuei (41), R. Monahan (34)
C: G. Hewett (29), J. Binns (25), D. Cuningham (28)
HF: A. Moir (43), O. Fantasia (14), J. Motlop (3)
F: J. Martin (21), H. Lemmey (31), H. O'Keeffe (40)
R: A. Mirkov (45), C. Lord (36), J. Carroll (16)
INT: W. Hayes (59), N. Cahill (54), L. McMahon (52), W. White (77), O. Badr (72)*
EMG: A. Stevens (64), H. Gill (62), H. Ramshaw (51), Z. Maher (50), K. Ferronato (63), C. Verrell (71), L. Nelson (57), H. Nosiara (69)

IN: O. Fantasia, G. Hewett, J. Martin, H. O'Keeffe, L. Prout
OUT: C. Marchbank, M. Pittonet (AFL), B. Wilson (illness), Z. Maher, L. Nelson

Jack Martin makes his long-awaited return, but Wilson misses with illness. All emergencies named, and should play, given the match is on Sunday, unless there's a late change or two...
Thanks Bletch :thumbsu:

I've already marked my man Wilbur White down for 3+ goals.....

Caleb Daniel in the 2s….just doesn’t sit right..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most excited I’ve been to watch a vfl game in a long time.
Spots up for grabs in the 1’s and plenty of players who play those roles with a chance to put their hand up. It’s either a very, very strong side or our list depth isn’t that great

All eyes on Martin, Lord, Hewett and Motlop. There will be spots available in the 1s so bring it fellas and tear this game apart

A part of me feels so sad that Binns isn’t mentioned much these days, blokes tried his ass off in the VFL for 2 seasons now and has barely been rewarded.

VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back