VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, when he came across from North, we didn't see him for a few weeks before making his debut. Wouldn't be surprised if Russell put him through a training block to give him work on his fitness.

From what we've seen so far though, he looks a real prospect....even when you compare him to early this year, you can see his game has already elevated.
Could be wrong but I thought the club actually mentioned that we were putting him through a fitness block in one of our injury or VFL reports. Certainly wouldn't surprise me, North are a rabble.

Got pulled out of retirement for today to try and support our young boys
Retirement an interesting term for Will.
1/3 of leviathan racehorse training team of brothers Ben, JD and Will Hayes. Multi million business.
Been playing local footy for Euroa near “farm”. (Current iteration of Lindsay Park)
Bloke clearly loves his footy to jump on a plane with the team rather than hob nob at Flemington .

Last edited:

Hayes was unreal. Goes to show what a wise head can do at this level.

We dominated the midfield. Stats show that with Carroll, Cuningham, Binns, Pittonet and Lord with 25+ Disposals. NAtural experienced footballer with good footy IQ.

Wilson and Hayes were dominant half backs today. They were pretty good. Lewis Young was good. Marchbank and Durdin mediocre. Marchbank not running both ways, looks unfit, or perhaps doesn't trust his team not to turn it over.

I thought the forward line showed a real weakness with their work rate and positioning. A lot of the times our ball movement and disposal was let down when we got to that area because no one was there presenting.

Lemmy showed that when his positioning is good and he leads he has the talent to do the rest. But he is rarely in the right position and for some reason struggles to get to the ball when it's bombed to him. He needs to do more in regards to not being in no mans land and being in the right spot when we are looking for an out kick. He's not reading this situation at all. The top of the square kick, he needs to make sure he's there for that and giving a good contest. Lemmy needs to work on his smarts and positioning as well as make more efforts to get to the long kicked ball. I don't think he's doing the team thing as a tall well enough and being that long out kick option.

Moir looks really unfit but he has talent. Liked him behind the ball today, he got involved in some good transitional play. He's pretty clean. Running and lots of it will be on the cards for him.

Motlop had some really good moments and got to the right spot with his crumbing. He just looks to be lacking some fitness. His repeat efforts and pressure will need to lift to match those in the AFL side. It was a good game and his talent shone through but to break into the AFL side I feel he will need to be fitter and to fit in with the hard running and pressure our current forwards are offering. He will still keep Williams and Owies honest I feel. He will be getting closer.

Monahan looks to be in no mans land too often and potentially lacking fitness. Needs to put a power of work into where to run and when to run off etc. His footy IQ is 0 so there is a long way to go. He needs to be going to AFL games and studying the running patterns of particular players.

Akuei started like a house on fire but went quiet. I still didn't mind his game but he's a long way off AFL. Still vastly improved as a player. If we delist him other clubs may have a look and with Tasmania coming in, mature players should be pushing pretty hard to be playing good footy at this level.

Mirkov does not have the skillset for this game.

It was a good win and it's great to get another win.

I’d draft him and of year again. SSP or rookie draft. Why not.
From all accounts this is a one time thing or perhaps just til the end of the year. I remember him discussing his commitments last year re balancing horse racing and VFL duties and it was pretty absurd stuff. Waking up at 2am for the horses, then heading to training etc. Just didn't work with the interstate travel stuff.

If he wants to go around again though you'd certainly never say no.

Come on Cunners!! What a level we could get to if he can break into the 22 and perform! Still has something that we generally lack. Hollands, Martin, Fantasia, Cunners - that’s a slick half forward line. Will get the job done with class and we’ll be Premiers… such a different (better) make-up to last year.

Also, I need to be able to wear my guernsey with Cunners’ #28 to the footy again!

Could be wrong but I thought the club actually mentioned that we were putting him through a fitness block in one of our injury or VFL reports. Certainly wouldn't surprise me, North are a rabble.
I love your posting but blaming North for Lord’s fitness level is absurd. It is like if one of our VFL listed players who never ever train with Carlton got drafted to another club and supporters blamed Carlton for their fitness. Your criticism of North, when he probably has never trained with them is off the mark. I don’t think you would call Carlton rabble if Maher or Cahill’s fitness is not AFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love your posting but blaming North for Lord’s fitness level is absurd. It is like if one of our VFL listed players who never ever train with Carlton got drafted to another club and supporters blamed Carlton for their fitness. Your criticism of North, when he probably has never trained with them is off the mark. I don’t think you would call Carlton rabble if Maher or Cahill’s fitness is not AFL standard.
A fair enough critique and probably a bit harsh on North. But I wasn't intending on 'blaming' his fitness on North as a slight on him, I think he already looks pretty good. I was more saying I think he'll get even better than he already looks after a solid pre season with us, as whatever he was doing re fitness prior to joining was clearly a level below what we expect (Given he had to go through a training load with us before getting a crack in the 2s)

I'm excited with what I've seen from him, if he continues getting better I'll be ecstatic.

GWS have a ruck that looks like he's been pulled out of retirement and a makeshift midfield bar 2 players, despite having talented options either end they can and should inject into the middle.

This game should not be this close, we're a bit hopeless tactically.

Also what the hell is Will Hayes doing in our team, he's not played at this level for 18 months? Tell me we're not this desperate to sure up our midfield depth post-season.

Assume it’s for some maturity around the group and a regular VFL performer to make us more competitive.
Not against it at all.
Plenty out the door at the end of last season.

It's been a long time watching these games and 0-1 players put their hands up. Start of the season we are looking at how good our reserves and depth should be, then injuries happen.

Now we are just getting back to that. Cuningham, Motlop, Pittonet, Lord, Young all played well enough to earn a spot should one arise. Wilson and Binns were also strong, would be good enough to make it into lesser sides as well. Marchbank would probably lift if played in the AFL but he needs to do more. So we have 'reserves' again.

I don't think it will push any changes. This midfield is our best midfield. I don't think our forwards will be under much threat either. Two way running and defensive pressure is a massive part of our forward line. Can Motlop do that? In saying that guys like Owies and Williams will want to have a good game tonight.

Only Wilson put his hand up as a defender and his game wasn't strong enough to worry our AFL defenders.

With Hewett on ice for the midfield I don't see any VFL mids breaking in. Maybe as sub. I think Motlop may push his way in as a sub.

The current side is a bit like the Australian Cricket team of the early 2000s. Heaps of guys in the state come making 100s after 100s and they had to keep doing it so that when a spot opened up it was theirs. Same goes to these VFL boys. Just keep pumping put these high level games, deliver what the coach wants.

Assume it’s for some maturity around the group and a regular VFL performer to make us more competitive.
Not against it at all.
Plenty out the door at the end of last season.
I was referring to the AFL, but I realised that Tom Phillips seems to have been sent packing, so worth throwing the left over cash at Hayes for a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back