2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

No to Langford, my fave player but he's been average for a bit now, carrying an injury, hip is the chatter.
He's hanging on by a thread in my team atm. The body of work he put in early season has him in there but the way he's going he'll be out soon. Hopefully he can get back to his best.
Do tell how many games Heeney has played forward this year….quick tip zilch none. Bont has played more. Warner sure (plenty of games forward) but this ridiculous idea of plonking mids forward is ridiculous. How about we actually pick an actual half forward and reward them. If you want that extra nod you have 4 slots on the bench
I would argue that Heeney is an attack first midfielder. Many clubs have named that role on a half-forward flank in their teams for decades. Hence why I put him there.

The question you really should be asking is this: which half-forward do you think deserves to make AA ahead of Heeney? To quote you: "….quick tip zilch none."

Is he better than Patrick Cripps?

Most probably not Cripps, Warner, Heeney and Gulden (with one likely to fit on a wing with another on a HF flank) but I'd have his season above a fair few others who are getting more attention including Walsh and Merrett. He's had a better season than Butters as well for example.

This is why no one respects Carlton supporters. You are telling me his ball use is fantastic for a midfielder but he is the no.1 midfielder in league for clangers. There is no proper reasoning with you guys, its just shove navy blue down our throat.
Gulden has 72 clangers for the year but by your logic of just using clangers as a metric, he’s a bad ball user?

Most probably not Cripps, Warner, Heeney and Gulden (with one likely to fit on a wing with another on a HF flank) but I'd have his season above a fair few others who are getting more attention including Walsh and Merrett. He's had a better season than Butters as well for example.
Fair enough mate. I rate Serong. Just for me personally though, I’d have him on the interchange bench.

My mistake I didn’t realise I wrote centre clearances (because I didn’t)
He is 10 clear in total clearances

Serong is second for centre bounce clearance behind daicos.
But 24th for CBA 10 less than daicos, nearly 50 less than cripps.
Do they get different stats in WA to the rest of us? Would explain a few things

Screenshot_20240701-120059.png Screenshot_20240701-120053.png

I would argue that Heeney is an attack first midfielder. Many clubs have named that role on a half-forward flank in their teams for decades. Hence why I put him there.

The question you really should be asking is this: which half-forward do you think deserves to make AA ahead of Heeney? To quote you: "….quick tip zilch none."

There's plenty that you could pick, if you go down the mid route Bont has literally started games forward. As for half forwards, rankine is a better shout least he has played half a season up there, and so long as he doesn't miss games from here on he should be in the side.

Then you could look at the top sides where Daniher has been a HUGE reason with Brisbane's turnaround. I'd be picking Dylan Moore though he's my first picked HFF.

Gulden has 72 clangers for the year but by your logic of just using clangers as a metric, he’s a bad ball user?

Yep, clangers are the worst stat. Going for a hard kick will lead to a high clanger rate, in fact some of the elite kicks have high clanger rates as they go for tough kicks.

I think Dylan Moore and Rankine have been fantastic. I’d probably fit Merrett on a wing considering there’s no clear choice 2nd winger and Merrett generates a lot of outside ball.

Bontempelli and Warner could probably be fit into a half forward flank since both are two of the best goal scoring mids in the comp.

Interesting year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Dylan Moore and Rankine have been fantastic. I’d probably fit Merrett on a wing considering there’s no clear choice 2nd winger and Merrett generates a lot of outside ball.

Bontempelli and Warner could probably be fit into a half forward flank since both are two of the best goal scoring mids in the comp.

Interesting year

Agree, at least one of Moore/Rankine, I'll accept plonking one mid forward (Warner or Bont) but can we not do 2? Moore has been fantastic for the Hawks in their run.

There's plenty that you could pick, if you go down the mid route Bont has literally started games forward. As for half forwards, rankine is a better shout least he has played half a season up there, and so long as he doesn't miss games from here on he should be in the side.

Then you could look at the top sides where Daniher has been a HUGE reason with Brisbane's turnaround. I'd be picking Dylan Moore though he's my first picked HFF.

I think that we're mostly in agreement but you can't see it for some reason. Bont and Heeney are interchangeable in my team. If I had them switched around we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Rankine is a great shout and probably should be in my team ahead of Langford tbh.

I think that we're mostly in agreement but you can't see it for some reason. Bont and Heeney are interchangeable in my team. If I had them switched around we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Rankine is a great shout and probably should be in my team ahead of Langford tbh.

Moore should be in the side though, and he's actually a HFF, he's been the best HFF of the season. No issue with Warner on the other one albeit I don't love it. I'm realistic they will plonk 1 of them forward- I hate this notion though. Rankine for Langford is a fairly easy swap. Can we just not put Heeney forward when he's not playing there, his goals in general are playing as a mid and pushing forward. I just hate this notion where it's lets plonk 16 mids into a side, they talk about picking the side for an actual game and have midfielders forward, no side would go in with two mids forward at the centre bounce.

I'd also like a small defender picked personally but realistically it probably doesn't happen.

I think it's fair to name Warner and Heeney on the half-forward flanks. It's an accurate representation of the position they play in games IMO.
No, it's not. They are part of Sydney's midfield A rotation. They've played in the centre square all year. No team in the AFL has had a more clearly-defined "on ball" foursome than the Swans (with Gulden the next cab off the rank)

Centre bounces attended (avg)

22.8 Brodie Grundy [ruck]
21.1 Isaac Heeney
19.5 James Rowbottom
17.6 Chad Warner

9.6 Errol Gulden
7.8 Taylor Adams
5.3 Tom Papley
5.3 Hayden McLean [ruck]
4.1 Justin McInerney
2.5 James Jordan
0.2 Braeden Campbell
0.2 Logan McDonald [ruck]
0.1 Joel Amartey [ruck]

Midfield
Jordan........Grundy.......... Gulden
Warner....Rowbottom....Heeney

Forwards
Papley........ McDonald...... McInerney
Heyward..... Amartey........ Wicks

It's fair enough to place Bontempelli or Petracca at half forward because they've actually been played up forward for long periods. But people are just making shit up when they try to categorise Heeney and Warner as half forwards in 2024. They are Sydney's MIDFIELD.

People are just trying to find a way to get Cripps, Daicos, Serong, Merrett, Neale, Walsh, Treloar, Butters, Anderson, etc, into the team as midfielders by falsely labelling the Swans mids as half forwards.

Agree, at least one of Moore/Rankine, I'll accept plonking one mid forward (Warner or Bont) but can we not do 2? Moore has been fantastic for the Hawks in their run.
Yeah I wouldn’t be putting two mids on the half forward flank. Only one. Other would be shifted to the interchange

No, it's not. They are part of Sydney's midfield A rotation. They've played in the centre square all year. No team in the AFL has had a more clearly-defined "on ball" foursome than the Swans (with Gulden the next cab off the rank)

21.1 Isaac Heeney
19.5 James Rowbottom
17.6 Chad Warner

9.6 Errol Gulden
7.8 Taylor Adams
5.3 Tom Papley
5.3 Hayden McLean [ruck]
4.1 Justin McInerney
2.5 James Jordan
0.2 Braeden Campbell
0.1 Joel Amartey [ruck]

Midfield

Forwards

It's fair enough to place Bontempelli or Petracca at half forward because they've actually been played up forward for long periods. But people are just making shit up when they try to categorise Heeney and Warner as half forwards in 2024. They are Sydney's MIDFIELD.

People are just trying to find a way to get Cripps, Daicos, Serong, Merrett, Neale, Walsh, Treloar, Butters, Anderson, etc, into the team as midfielders by falsely labelling the Swans mids as half forwards.
I don’t think AA selectors are falsely labeling players as forwards. I’m sure they’re aware.

It’s about fitting the most talent and best players into one team. Personally, I don’t see THAT many half forward players who have shined. Obviously there’s a few of course. Midfielders get priority because they’re always where the ball is and generally if a game is there to be won, it’s usually the midfield that initiates it. Not saying that’s always the case though.

21.1 Isaac Heeney
19.5 James Rowbottom
17.6 Chad Warner

9.6 Errol Gulden
7.8 Taylor Adams
5.3 Tom Papley
5.3 Hayden McLean [ruck]
4.1 Justin McInerney
2.5 James Jordan
0.2 Braeden Campbell
0.1 Joel Amartey [ruck]

Midfield

Forwards

So much this, last year and before he was a forward, I can't for the life of me understand why we are picking him forward this year. Warner I get it to a degree (I don't like it). Both are pure on ballers that's it, in fact both those two in the middle and not Mills/Parker is a huge reason we are where we are.

Moore HFF please then go from there up front, leave the on ballers as midfielders not plonking them forward

Yeah I wouldn’t be putting two mids on the half forward flank. Only one. Other would be shifted to the interchange

Dylan Moore on the HFF should be close to the first one picked in that role. Even early on he was outstanding in a Hawks side not winning, he's been brilliant this season.

One mid forward absolute maximum, and Bont makes the most sense, I'd actually have Warner off the bench.

Goal kicking mids have been shifted to half forward flanks in the AA team for as long as I can remember. Don't have to like it, but it's just how it's always been done. If they put someone like Cripps or Serong on a flank it looks absolutely laughable, whereas Bont, Heeney, Warner can actually play as genuine forwards and often do for patches of games so they get put on flanks to fit more 'AA worthy' players into the team.

Dylan Moore on the HFF should be close to the first one picked in that role. Even early on he was outstanding in a Hawks side not winning, he's been brilliant this season.

One mid forward absolute maximum, and Bont makes the most sense, I'd actually have Warner off the bench.
Agreed. It’s either Moore or Rankine for mine. Bontempelli either on ball or half forward. Can’t put him on the bench while with Warner, I can understand it. People may not like that take but idc

Agreed. It’s either Moore or Rankine for mine. Bontempelli either on ball or half forward. Can’t put him on the bench while with Warner, I can understand it. People may not like that take but idc

I actually agree, have Warner on the bench myself, Bont forward for mine, and I'd be okay with him on the HFF. Moore is ahead of Rankine personally as Rankine has missed a few games, but that could change, I'd prefer both picked but you are right they will pick 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back