2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

JHF isnt getting the credits someone like Daicos just yet, but Petracca wasn't AA either from the get go. As you said he is a third year player and he is only getting better.
The Petracca one is an interesting comparison actually... his first AA, he averaged:

23.5 disposals
0.9 goals a game (15 total)
3.8 clearances
4 inside 50s

And got 13 goal assists for the season, playing 17 games in a team that finished 9th. He was named starting on-baller.

JHF is currently averaging:

22 disposals
1.1 goals a game (21 currently)
5.6 clearances
4.7 inside 50s

And he's gotten 19 goal assists (1 a game) in a team that is likely going to finish top 4.

Now, I know it's not the fairest comparison as it was shortened games in 2020 and this is a year-on-year thing and JHF is up against players in his own year and not players past, but at the very least it shows that he is playing AA quality football and should be in the discussion. Especially if Port win the next two games and he plays well in both of them, as that will likely mean a top 2 finish, with him being our best and most influential player for the year. Hard to ignore him then.

The Petracca one is an interesting comparison actually... his first AA, he averaged:

23.5 disposals
3.8 clearances
4 inside 50s

And got 13 goal assists for the season, playing 17 games in a team that finished 9th. He was named starting on-baller.

22 disposals
5.6 clearances
4.7 inside 50s

And he's gotten 19 goal assists (1 a game) in a team that is likely going to finish top 4.

Now, I know it's not the fairest comparison as it was shortened games in 2020 and this is a year-on-year thing and JHF is up against players in his own year and not players past, but at the very least it shows that he is playing AA quality football and should be in the discussion. Especially if Port win the next two games and he plays well in both of them, as that will likely mean a top 2 finish, with him being our best and most influential player for the year. Hard to ignore him then.
The forward line contained Dangerfield, Bontempelli and Martin that year. Otherwise the mids were Neale, Boak, Cam Guthrie, Adams and Steele - I'd argue not the strongest field for the ones put in midfield. No wingmen.

This year will have a wingman (Gulden). Will there be 3 midfielders in the forward line this year (even if one of them is JHF)?

Let's say you do put Bontempelli, Heeney and JHF in the forward line, as silly as that sounds. Gulden is on a wing. Then there is Cripps (centre), Daicos (rover), Neale (ruck rover), Serong (wing) and Merrett (bench) who are essentially locks. That's without getting to Butters, Treloar and Warner.

I can only see JHF getting in the side if both of these things happen: 3 midfielders are chosen in the forward line and 2 of Butters/Treloar/Warner miss out. Unless the bench is entirely midfielders or something.

The forward line contained Dangerfield, Bontempelli and Martin that year. Otherwise the mids were Neale, Boak, Cam Guthrie, Adams and Steele - I'd argue not the strongest field for the ones put in midfield. No wingmen.

This year will have a wingman (Gulden). Will there be 3 midfielders in the forward line this year (even if one of them is JHF)?

Let's say you do put Bontempelli, Heeney and JHF in the forward line, as silly as that sounds. Gulden is on a wing. Then there is Cripps (centre), Daicos (rover), Neale (ruck rover), Serong (wing) and Merrett (bench) who are essentially locks. That's without getting to Butters, Treloar and Warner.

I can only see JHF getting in the side if both of these things happen: 3 midfielders are chosen in the forward line and 2 of Butters/Treloar/Warner miss out. Unless the bench is entirely midfielders or something.
It was the weakest year for forwards in a long time, mostly due to the shortened quarters which left less time to work defenders over. That year you had 3 key forwards squad worthy and two small forwards.

This year is one of the strongest years I can remember for non key forwards. I definitely have all of Greene, Moore and Stengle side worthy, plus Curnow and Hogan as locks for FF/CHF. There are arguments about Cameron and Daniher and which makes the side.

If they don't select 6 genuine forwards this year they never will IMO.

23.5 disposals
3.8 clearances
4 inside 50s

22 disposals
5.6 clearances
4.7 inside 50s

You have to add 25% to all of Petracca's stats.

The stats will look quite different.

EDIT: I'll do it for you.

Petracca

29.4 disposals
1.1 goals a game
4.8 clearances
5 inside 50s

Versus Horne-Francis

22 disposals
5.6 clearances
4.7 inside 50s

Last edited:
You have to add 25% to all of Petracca's stats.

The stats will look quite different.

EDIT: I'll do it for you.

Petracca

29.4 disposals
1.1 goals a game
4.8 clearances
5 inside 50s

Versus Horne-Francis

22 disposals
5.6 clearances
4.7 inside 50s

It's actually only 20% you add on if you want to do it that way (disregarding fresher legs due to reduced game time):

28.2 disposals
1.05 goals a game (equivalent 18 from 17)
4.56 clearances
4.92 inside 50s

Plus the goal assists - contributing a combined 40 goals so far is not too shabby.

So yeah, comparable, especially considering JHF is being played a lot as a goalsquare forward which reduces his disposal numbers, yet still has a considerable lead in clearances.

My only point really being his year is AA worthy. Doesn't mean he necessarily deserves it over others, but that if he does get in, he's earned it.

It's actually only 20% you add on if you want to do it that way (disregarding fresher legs due to reduced game time):

28.2 disposals
1.05 goals a game (equivalent 18 from 17)
4.56 clearances
4.92 inside 50s

Plus the goal assists - contributing a combined 40 goals so far is not too shabby.

So yeah, comparable, especially considering JHF is being played a lot as a goalsquare forward which reduces his disposal numbers, yet still has a considerable lead in clearances.

My only point really being his year is AA worthy. Doesn't mean he necessarily deserves it over others, but that if he does get in, he's earned it.
Nope.

25%.

No. It is 20%

Games are usually 20 mins + time on. Were reduced to 16 minutes that is 4 of 20 reduction or 20%
Incorrect.

20 minutes - 20% = 16
16 minutes + 20% does not equal 20

You need to add 25% to get 16 up to 20

It was the weakest year for forwards in a long time, mostly due to the shortened quarters which left less time to work defenders over. That year you had 3 key forwards squad worthy and two small forwards.

This year is one of the strongest years I can remember for non key forwards. I definitely have all of Greene, Moore and Stengle side worthy, plus Curnow and Hogan as locks for FF/CHF. There are arguments about Cameron and Daniher and which makes the side.

If they don't select 6 genuine forwards this year they never will IMO.

Yes, defence dominated that year with a glut of high performing key defenders in particular, low scoring and forwards finding it tough (particularly without the opening up of the game that tends to happen with fatigue at the end of quarters and halves).

Still, I think 3 midfielders in the forward line (with no forwards and 2 more mids on the bench) was overkill.

Bontempelli, for example, was a centre square mid all year and only kicked 11 goals for the whole season but was picked as a forward.

Putting an almost permanent mid in the forward pocket is even worse. Dusty kicked 15 goals for the season - squeezing him on a flank would not be ideal but forward pocket is ridiculous.

I'm obviously a Hawthorn supporter but I thought Gunston in particular was stiff. Despite beginning the year in defence, Gunston finished 3rd in the Coleman. On your favoured "goals + assists" tally, he finished 2nd in the league (from 1 less game). He also won his clubs best and fairest. Gunston was the 2nd best forward that year (IMO and based on the data - including better than Dixon who was picked), behind the clear stand out in Hawkins. Often those "not quite traditional key position size but not a small forward" types seem to get overlooked, as Gunston who made 5 squads but was only selected once evidences well.

Either way, I agree with your general point that the strength of forward options this season is better than 2020 and so would not want to see a repeat where midfielders are selected to half of the forward roles.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope.

25%.
I am no mathematician but I think you are both wrong.
If you wanted to compare Petracas 2020 Covid averages to JHFs current season averages correctly
You would not add 20 or 25% to Petracas averages. You would have to reduce JHFs averages by the percentage of game time reduced
20 minutes to 16 or 17 minutes
Therefore 20-15% less for JHF
But there are other factors like less fatigue & bench time
But it’s a moot point
All you need to do is watch the ports v melbourne games to see that JHF is AA quality. Surely you watched the game trav20? & agree

I am no mathematician but I think you are both wrong.
If you wanted to compare Petracas 2020 Covid averages to JHFs current season averages correctly
You would not add 20 or 25% to Petracas averages. You would have to reduce JHFs averages by the percentage of game time reduced
20 minutes to 16 or 17 minutes
Therefore 20-15% less for JHF
But there are other factors like less fatigue & bench time
But it’s a moot point
All you need to do is watch the ports v melbourne games to see that JHF is AA quality. Surely you watched the game trav20? & agree
I disagree with you on the stats. They were recalculated correctly.

And I have not made a single comment re Horne-Francis' All Australian bona fides.

Yeah, a quick, strong and tall mid

But instead we’ve parked him down back and watched him lose 1v1’s to blokes far bigger and stronger than him

Another story for another day
Played most of juniors down back. Only started transitioning to on ball late and then did his ACL a few weeks later

Looks like people in Melbourne are finally waking up to the season J.McGovern is having.

From the HUN:

JACOB WEITERING VS JEREMY MCGOVERN

Like Carlton’s finals hopes, Jacob Weitering seemed a lock for this team a month ago.
Now this week’s clash in Perth between the Eagles and Blues could decide who likely partners Harris Andrews as the other key defender.

Weitering’s case from a narrative perspective had it all.
A consistent squad member that had been consistently overlooked, he was the wall keeping the dam from bursting down back for the Blues.

It seems the flood has come, however.

2024J. McGovernJ. Weitering
DisposalsEliteAbove Average
MarksAbove AverageAbove Average
Intercept MarksEliteAbove Average
Intercept PossessionsEliteAbove Average
SpoilsAverageAbove Average

McGovern is one of footy’s forgotten men, as the Eagles toiled away in obscurity for years, and the premiership hero sat out consistently due to injury.

In 2024, McGovern is back to his best – if not in career-best form.

The eye test still stacks up for the Blue in those 1v1 contests, but statistically, McGovern has the edge.

The Eagle’s ability to distribute out of the backline gives him a distinct advantage over Weitering and as Carlton flounders, it seems their star fullback is set to miss out again.

VERDICT: McGovern over Weitering

Looks like people in Melbourne are finally waking up to the season J.McGovern is having.

From the HUN:

JACOB WEITERING VS JEREMY MCGOVERN

Like Carlton’s finals hopes, Jacob Weitering seemed a lock for this team a month ago.
Now this week’s clash in Perth between the Eagles and Blues could decide who likely partners Harris Andrews as the other key defender.

Weitering’s case from a narrative perspective had it all.
A consistent squad member that had been consistently overlooked, he was the wall keeping the dam from bursting down back for the Blues.

It seems the flood has come, however.

2024J. McGovernJ. Weitering
DisposalsEliteAbove Average
MarksAbove AverageAbove Average
Intercept MarksEliteAbove Average
Intercept PossessionsEliteAbove Average
SpoilsAverageAbove Average

McGovern is one of footy’s forgotten men, as the Eagles toiled away in obscurity for years, and the premiership hero sat out consistently due to injury.

In 2024, McGovern is back to his best – if not in career-best form.

The eye test still stacks up for the Blue in those 1v1 contests, but statistically, McGovern has the edge.

The Eagle’s ability to distribute out of the backline gives him a distinct advantage over Weitering and as Carlton flounders, it seems their star fullback is set to miss out again.

VERDICT: McGovern over Weitering
Would tend to agree. Like the analysis

2 of the most criticized footballers of the last 15 years are Hogan and Daniher and they are my two best Key Forwards of the year, its just that sort of season!
Is an interesting season. Jezza is the better and more dynamic forward overall but Hogan is performing very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back