2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Goals and assists round 23:

1. Jesse Hogan 77 (67/10)
2. Charlie Curnow 72 (57/15)
3. Jeremy Cameron 64 (49/15)/Toby Greene (39/25)
5. Joe Daniher 62 (49/13)
6. Dylan Moore 61 (31/30)
7. Ben King 57 (54/3)/Jake Waterman (51/6)/Josh Treacy (45/12)/Tyson Stengle (40/17)

Don't mind the Daniels call out, probably the 2nd best high half forward in it after Moore, excluding Rankine due to games played. It's a hard role to play and generally when you have one playing well they end up your favourite player as they can be so important to your forward half transition. I'd have him in the squad instead of Greene if I had to choose one, his accuracy and form earlier in the year is still something I don't this he has overcome yet.

Don't mind the Daniels call out, probably the 2nd best high half forward in it after Moore, excluding Rankine due to games played. It's a hard role to play and generally when you have one playing well they end up your favourite player as they can be so important to your forward half transition. I'd have him in the squad instead of Greene if I had to choose one, his accuracy and form earlier in the year is still something I don't this he has overcome yet.
They both should be in as the 2 HFF. Both had great years and would be selecting players in positions they actually play

They both should be in as the 2 HFF. Both had great years and would be selecting players in positions they actually play

Interestingly, Daniels and Moore are also 1st and 2nd respectively for goal assists this season (with very respectable totals). In fact, with a round and finals still to play, Daniels total is already the equal 4th highest on record and Moore equal 15th.

Merrett falling out of the team?
Humorous back and forth between Piggy and Kingy on Fox last night.

Piggy said he wants the AA captain to be an actual sides captain.

Kingy said he’d make Merrett captain.
Piggy seemed unimpressed.
Kingy says “he’s lead Essendon so well all year”.
With a wry smile Piggy returns serve “not to finals”.

Interestingly, Daniels and Moore are also 1st and 2nd respectively for goal assists this season (with very respectable totals). In fact, with a round and finals still to play, Daniels total is already the equal 4th highest on record and Moore equal 15th.
Moore currently averaging over 20 disposals and has kicked 30 goals and 30 goal assists

Only Robbie Gray, Steve Johnson and Jason Akermanis have done that since goal assist stats have been kept since 2003

Moore currently averaging over 20 disposals and has kicked 30 goals and 30 goal assists

Only Robbie Gray, Steve Johnson and Jason Akermanis have done that since goal assist stats have been kept since 2003
Damn, that's some good company

Damn, that's some good company
They all had better seasons than Moore although I have just realised Aker in 2004 technically misses as he only averaged 19.88 disposals. Kicked 44 goals and had 44 goal assists though
Johnson in 2011 averaged 22 and kicked 50 with 31 goal assists
Gray in 2014 averaged 24 and kicked 42 with 33 goal assists

Moore should get at least another 2 weeks and possibly could get to something like 35 goals 35 assists which is getting into that territory. Needs to keeps his disposal average over 20 as well

Last edited:
FB Mcgovern - Weitering - Holmes
HB Whitfield - Andrews - Dale
C Gulden - Cripps (C) - Treloar
HF Heeney - Curnow - Moore
FF Daniher - Hogan - Stengle
R Gawn - Bontempelli (VC) - Daicos
I/C Warner - Butters - Serong - Neale
This is a pretty good attempt. I would find room for Merrett somewhere but other than that no real problems, I don't rate Mcgovern as much as everyone else this year but still I think he will make it.

My side:

Dan Houston - Jacob Weitering - Nick Blakey
Jack Sinclair - Harris Andrews - Max Holmes
Nick Daicos - Isaac Heeney - Errol Gulden
Toby Greene - Charlie Curnow - Dylan Moore
Jeremy Cameron - Jesse Hogan - Tyson Stengle
Max Gawn - Marcus Bontempelli - Adam Treloar
Patrick Cripps - Zach Merrett - Caleb Serong - Lachie Neale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They all had better seasons than Moore although I have just realised Aker in 2004 technically misses as he only averaged 19.88 disposals. Kicked 44 goals and had 44 goal assists though
Johnson in 2011 averaged 22 and kicked 50 with 31 goal assists
Gray in 2014 averaged 24 and kicked 42 with 33 goal assists

Moore should at least another 2 weeks and possibly could get to something like 35 goals 35 assists which is getting into that territory. Needs to keeps his disposal average over 20 as well
This is a huge effort giving the stats a scan I see if Bont can manage 5 assists somehow in his next game he is 30 and 30 and close to 30 possesions a game!

Daniels needs to bag 7 and he fits the bill as well.

Moore is well ahead in score involvements for small forwards as well
Midfielders- Bont#1
KPP- Daniher #1
Small Forward- Daniels #1
Ruckmen- English#1
Defender- Zorko #1

This is a huge effort giving the stats a scan I see if Bont can manage 5 assists somehow in his next game he is 30 and 30 and close to 30 possesions a game!

Daniels needs to bag 7 and he fits the bill as well.

Moore is well ahead in score involvements for small forwards as well
Midfielders- Bont#1
KPP- Daniher #1
Small Forward- Daniels #1
Ruckmen- English#1
Defender- Zorko #1
Daniels doesn't get there on disposals almost impossible for him to average 20. Bont definitely could if the Dogs play finals

Cameron has had a better year than Grundy and he torched him when they were opposed last week.

Borderline either or they’d be 3rd/4th. Take your pick, two best ones have been Gawn who will get the AA and Xerri. They will pick Daniher as the second ruck/key FWD

My All-Australian Side Round 23

Backline:

D. Zorko H. Andrews L. Ryan

L. Whitfield J. McGovern M. Holmes

Centre:

E. Gulden P. Cripps (C) Z. Merrett

Forwards:

D. Moore C. Curnow M. Bontempelli (VC)

T. Stengle J. Hogan J. Cameron

Ruck/Followers:

M. Gawn I. Heeney N. Daicos

Interchange:

L. Neale C. Serong Z. Butters A. Treloar

I understand this is a hugely midfielder based team but it’s honestly too hard to leave some names out of here. Some glaring omissions but more than happy to justify my selections or non-selections

It also in general has just been a midfielders type year.

Not really sure why Cripps is considered a lock as Centre and Captain but Butters is 50/50 just to make the interchange. Apart from the big Vic importance handicap. Cripps is averaging a few more clearances, fair enough, but Butters is averaging 100m gained more, 27x as many bounces and more score involvements which I think means they're having a pretty similar impact on the game, just in different ways.
Not saying that Cripps doesn't deserve to be in the side, I'm just a little perplexed as to why Butters is being disregarded by so many.
The only thing I can come up with is media influence.

Already noticing a few trying to jam the seasons best mids onto HFF, basis how they drift fwd and impact the scoring.
I hope they stick with what i imagine most see as the 3 big midfield stars of the season that can be picked at the centre bounce, alongside with whichever #1 ruck u want. Bont Heeney Cripps.
Wings...Errol and Daicos looks very pretty with Treloar/Merrett equally good options.
C: Daicos Cripps Gulden is about as good as the centreline could look on paper and most likely to get the nod.
Other mids i would lock in would be Serong Butters Treloar. Its ok and not an insult to have them on the bench rather than trying to jam mids onto flanks to make way for personal preferences.
So...starting midfield (minus ruck) for me is Daicos, Cripps, Gulden, Bont, Heeney, Cripps.
Midfield Bench Options: Treloar Serong Merrett Butters Neale for me.
Hogan and Curnow likely locked in for the two main KPF slots, and chance of a 3rd KPF in a FP this year.
Has not been a big season for KPD's or even HBFers, so they are wide open.
Smokeys for HBF include Nic Newman, Nic Martin, Sam Flanders, Bailey Dale...all been excellent in their role. Squadworthy types with an outside chance of selection at least.
Still plenty of slots to chew on.

Time to start posting your actual TEAM this week.

Not ahead of Gawn or Xerri for starters. Grundy has tapered off but he’d be third.

Nor is he ahead of Meek. Xerri could well be the best. In an actual AFL team he'd be huge. Its not his fault half his team are spuds.

My All-Australian Side Round 23

Backline:

D. Zorko H. Andrews L. Ryan

L. Whitfield J. McGovern M. Holmes

Centre:

E. Gulden P. Cripps (C) Z. Merrett

Forwards:

D. Moore C. Curnow M. Bontempelli (VC)

T. Stengle J. Hogan J. Cameron

Ruck/Followers:

M. Gawn I. Heeney N. Daicos

Interchange:

L. Neale C. Serong Z. Butters A. Treloar

I understand this is a hugely midfielder based team but it’s honestly too hard to leave some names out of here. Some glaring omissions but more than happy to justify my selections or non-selections

It also in general has just been a midfielders type year.

The easist way to leave midfielders out is to actually pick a team based on the players and their positions. That way you drop Merrett and put in D'Ambrosio.

If you really need Merrett you can get rid of one of your 4 midfielders on the bench.

But also you should drop another of those midfielders and replace them with a tall utility player.

Last edited:
My side:

Dan Houston - Jacob Weitering - Nick Blakey
Jack Sinclair - Harris Andrews - Max Holmes
Nick Daicos - Isaac Heeney - Errol Gulden
Toby Greene - Charlie Curnow - Dylan Moore
Jeremy Cameron - Jesse Hogan - Tyson Stengle
Max Gawn - Marcus Bontempelli - Adam Treloar
Patrick Cripps - Zach Merrett - Caleb Serong - Lachie Neale
Pretty good attempt, as it is not an easy task this year.

I can't have Sinclair though.
He is a nothing player, that higher numbers wallpaper over.

I would have Whitfield, Zorko or Holmes as better.

Not really sure why Cripps is considered a lock as Centre and Captain but Butters is 50/50 just to make the interchange. Apart from the big Vic importance handicap. Cripps is averaging a few more clearances, fair enough, but Butters is averaging 100m gained more, 27x as many bounces and more score involvements which I think means they're having a pretty similar impact on the game, just in different ways.
Not saying that Cripps doesn't deserve to be in the side, I'm just a little perplexed as to why Butters is being disregarded by so many.
For a start you need to compare an apple with an apple.
You’re comparing an inside / outside player in Butters with a contested bull in Cripps.
You’ve picked the outside component of stats to highlight Butter’s difference to that of Cripps.
If you were to look at the other side of the ledger, whereby you’d highlight the stats that would favour an inside bull like Cripps then you’d see a clear advantage to these for Cripps. Things like contested possesions, clearances, tackles etc. then you’d look at the height advantages and highlight contested marks even hit outs. All of which Cripps would have the advantage in.
What it does highlight is how good they’d be in the same team.
Both got their team over the line on the weekend.
Both champs but different

Cripps is top of the league for contested possessions and clearances while also kicking goals. That's why he's considered a lock, probably also why he's favourite for the Brownlow. Butters has had a bit of an up and down year imo, but I'd still have him in on the bench after Bont, Heeney, Cripps, Daicos in that next bracket with Treloar, Neale etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back