2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps is top of the league for contested possessions and clearances while also kicking goals. That's why he's considered a lock, probably also why he's favourite for the Brownlow. Butters has had a bit of an up and down year imo, but I'd still have him in on the bench after Bont, Heeney, Cripps, Daicos in that next bracket with Treloar, Neale etc.
Yeah same, doesn’t mean we don’t think Butters isn’t a superstar - he just isn’t as good as Bont, Heeney, Cripps and Daicos

Still a very, very, very good player and a lock for the AA - just not in the starting mid like those mentioned above

B J. Mcgovern- Andrews- Ryan
HB Houston- Collins- Whitfield
C Butters- Cripps (C)- Gulden
HF Warner- Hogan- Heeney
F Daniels- Curnow- Moore
Fol Gawn- Trelor- Bontempelli (VC)
Int Sinclair- Daicos - Merrett- Neale

Not really sure why Cripps is considered a lock as Centre and Captain but Butters is 50/50 just to make the interchange. Apart from the big Vic importance handicap. Cripps is averaging a few more clearances, fair enough, but Butters is averaging 100m gained more, 27x as many bounces and more score involvements which I think means they're having a pretty similar impact on the game, just in different ways.
Not saying that Cripps doesn't deserve to be in the side, I'm just a little perplexed as to why Butters is being disregarded by so many.
The only thing I can come up with is media influence.
Is this a joke?

Cripps – although he’s rounded out his game to get more outside ball this year he’s still an inside midfielder. Ranked #1 Centre Clearances, #1 Total Clearances and #1 Contested Possessions.

Butters – he’s not a standout in anything. He’s in the pack for most stats, which is reflected in him being in the mix for a bench spot.

Spouting more metres gained for Butters is as relevant for this comparison as talking about Cripps having more ruck hitouts.

Is this a joke?

Cripps – although he’s rounded out his game to get more outside ball this year he’s still an inside midfielder. Ranked #1 Centre Clearances, #1 Total Clearances and #1 Contested Possessions.

Butters – he’s not a standout in anything. He’s in the pack for most stats, which is reflected in him being in the mix for a bench spot.

Spouting more metres gained for Butters is as relevant for this comparison as talking about Cripps having more ruck hitouts.

Port is bottom 8 for total possessions as a team. Like every Port player is low in possession count

Butters would be a 30+ D/game player at Carlton.

Is this a joke?

Got to love comparing Inside mids to outside ones, honestly do people just think all mids are the same? Good sides have a mix of dour insides, a bull inside, your outside mids, and then you have your wingmen. Cripps is a stone cold certainty and he'll be the starting inside mid.

Port is bottom 8 for total possessions as a team. Like every Port player is low in possession count

Butters would be a 30+ D/game player at Carlton.

Would have could have. Butters is a bench mid this year and it really doesn't matter he'll still be there, both him and JHF are close/borderline to fill two of those positions

Bias aside Butters is a better player than Cripps and has been tagged far more. Cripps has got maybe one tag from Drew? And didn’t fire a shot. When Butters has the ball he will cut you up with speed or precise kicking, Cripps delivering the ball strikes no fear in the opposition. Carlton’s midfield has bombed it all season to their twin towers.

Bias aside Butters is a better player than Cripps and has been tagged far more. Cripps has got maybe one tag from Drew? And didn’t fire a shot. When Butters has the ball he will cut you up with speed or precise kicking, Cripps delivering the ball strikes no fear in the opposition. Carlton’s midfield has bombed it all season to their twin towers.
Cripps has had run with players every week including last week where they quickly took Reid off of the direct one on one as he had 11 in the first

Lmao

They aren't even competing for the same spot. It's Cripps vs Serong and I guess someone like Anderson, etc. Genuine inside mids. Butters is competing with the other ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Massimo D'Ambrosio doesn't make it alongside Dylan Moore thats disappointing, Go Hawks

B J. Mcgovern- Andrews- Ryan
HB Houston- Collins- Whitfield
C Butters- Cripps (C)- Gulden
HF Warner- Hogan- Heeney
F Daniels- Curnow- Moore
Fol Gawn- Trelor- Bontempelli (VC)
Int Sinclair- Daicos - Merrett- Neale
Where is Massimo D' Ambrosio and Trisitan Xerri. And Toby Greene over Brent Daniels, Greene is the better small forward at GWS

If Massimo D'Ambrosio doesn't make it alongside Dylan Moore thats disappointing, Go Hawks

Makes the squad 100%. Gut feel says they pick Merrett on the wing (Gulden the other one). I’d love them to pick two pure wings but I doubt they do

My FINAL squad of 44 for 2024:

ADE: n/a

BRI: Dayne Zorko - Harris Andrews - Lachie Neale - Josh Dunkley

CAR: Jacob Weitering - Patrick Cripps - Charlie Curnow

COL: Nick Daicos - Darcy Cameron

ESS: Zach Merrett - Nic Martin

FRE: Luke Ryan - Jordan Clark - Caleb Serong - Hayden Young

GEE: Max Holmes - Jeremy Cameron - Tyson Stengle

GCS: Sam Collins - Sam Flanders - Noah Anderson

GWS: Lachie Whitfield - Tom Green - Jesse Hogan

HAW: James Sicily - Massimo D'Ambrosio - Dylan Moore

MEL: Max Gawn

NOR: Tristan Xerri - Harry Sheezel

POR: Dan Houston - Zak Butters - Jason Horne-Francis

RIC: n/a

STK: Rowan Marshall - Jack Sinclair - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

SYD: Errol Gulden - Chad Warner - Isaac Heeney

WCE: Jeremy McGovern - Jake Waterman

WBD: Liam Jones - Marcus Bontempelli - Adam Treloar

My Final team of 22 for 2024:

FB - Dayne Zorko - Harris Andrews (VC) - Luke Ryan
HB - Lachie Whitfield - Jacob Weitering - Max Holmes
C - Errol Gulden - Caleb Serong - Zak Butters
HF - Isaac Heeney - Charlie Curnow - Marcus Bontempelli
FF - Dylan Moore - Jesse Hogan - Tyson Stengle
FOL - Max Gawn - Patrick Cripps (C) - Nick Daicos
INT - Tom Green - Adam Treloar - Chad Warner - Jason Horne-Francis

I honestly don't get why you continually list Martin ahead of Langford. Langford has been much better in a position with less competition

I honestly don't get why you continually list Martin ahead of Langford. Langford has been much better in a position with less competition
I don't think it's been a particularly great year for key forwards tbh. Hogan & Curnow are the clear standouts, but I only really included Cameron and Waterman because they had excellent purple patches throughout the year. Langford id definitely behind those players and that isn't eve accounting for King and Daniher who I left out deliberately.

And as for Martin, I think he's had a really good year. Especially for someone who's had to be played out of position up forward every now and then.

Coaches votes favour the winning team
Serong and daicos equal second in non finals teams is huge
Serong has kicked 5 goals over the last two weeks
Spot on.

Particularly when you consider they're the two players who have copped more opposition attention than any other player in the competition.

Can we stop this listing of Heeney half forward jeez, and why on earth are there 4 mids on the bench? Surely another defender or forward at least. Daniher deserves a spot for mine as him, Beale and McCluggage are the reason Brisbane turned the year around.

Merrett has to be there though surely, probably on a wing even though I hate it, been close to the only reason Essendon were even remotely near finals.

Really like the rest

You obviously haven't watched Cripps for at least 6 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back