2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfair if Weitering does not make it 4 years in a row squad and not in, have to give him a run.

How many full backs get picked? Andrew is a stone cold certainty especially with Brisbane in the top 5. My gut feeling is Weitering misses and they pick Sicily as the so called CHB (there hasn’t been a standout one this season)

Going through the squad the breakdown is as follows by my reading of it:

Defenders (14):

Key Defenders: Harris Andrews, Sam Collins, Jeremy McGovern, Jacob Weitering,
Medium Defenders: Nick Blakey, Dan Houston, Luke Ryan, James Sicily
Small Defenders: Jordan Clark, Bailey Dale, Max Holmes, Jack Sinclair, Lachie Whitfield, Dayne Zorko

Midfield (19):

Inside Midfielders: Noah Anderson, Marcus Bontempelli, Andrew Brayshaw, Zac Butters, Patrick Cripps, Isaac Heeney, Jason Horne-Francis, Lachie Neale, Cameron Rayner, Caleb Serong, Adam Treloar, Chad Warner, Hayden Young
Outside Midfielders: Nick Daicos, Massimo D'Ambrosio, Errol Gulden, Zach Merrett
Rucks: Darcy Cameron, Max Gawn, Tristan Xerri

Forwards (10):

Key Forwards: Jeremy Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Joe Daniher, Jesse Hogan, Harry McKay, Jake Waterman
Small Forwards: Brent Daniels, Dylan Moore, Harry Sheezel, Tyson Stengle

They probably break it down to 7 def (2/2/3), 10 mid (7/2/1) and 5 fwd (3/2)

Dan Houston - Jacob Weitering - Nick Blakey
Jordan Clark - Jeremy McGovern - Lachie Whitfield
Nick Daicos - Isaac Heeney - Errol Gulden
Dylan Moore - Charlie Curnow - Marcus Bontempelli
Jeremy Cameron - Jesse Hogan - Tyson Stengle
Max Gawn - Lachie Neale - Patrick Cripps
Max Holmes - Noah Anderson - Caleb Serong - Jason Horne-Francis
holmes and anderson over butters is wild

Going through the squad the breakdown is as follows by my reading of it:

Defenders (14):

Key Defenders: Harris Andrews, Sam Collins, Jeremy McGovern, Jacob Weitering,
Medium Defenders: Nick Blakey, Dan Houston, Luke Ryan, James Sicily
Small Defenders: Jordan Clark, Bailey Dale, Max Holmes, Jack Sinclair, Lachie Whitfield, Dayne Zorko

Midfield (19):

Inside Midfielders: Noah Anderson, Marcus Bontempelli, Andrew Brayshaw, Zac Butters, Patrick Cripps, Isaac Heeney, Jason Horne-Francis, Lachie Neale, Cameron Rayner, Caleb Serong, Adam Treloar, Chad Warner, Hayden Young
Outside Midfielders: Nick Daicos, Massimo D'Ambrosio, Errol Gulden, Zach Merrett
Rucks: Darcy Cameron, Max Gawn, Tristan Xerri

Forwards (10):

Key Forwards: Jeremy Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Joe Daniher, Jesse Hogan, Harry McKay, Jake Waterman
Small Forwards: Brent Daniels, Dylan Moore, Harry Sheezel, Tyson Stengle

They probably break it down to 7 def (2/2/3), 10 mid (7/2/1) and 5 fwd (3/2)

Dan Houston - Jacob Weitering - Nick Blakey
Jordan Clark - Jeremy McGovern - Lachie Whitfield
Nick Daicos - Isaac Heeney - Errol Gulden
Dylan Moore - Charlie Curnow - Marcus Bontempelli
Jeremy Cameron - Jesse Hogan - Tyson Stengle
Max Gawn - Lachie Neale - Patrick Cripps
Max Holmes - Noah Anderson - Caleb Serong - Jason Horne-Francis
Sorry but how is Nick Daicos an outside midfielder?

Where Is Sam Flanders? Anderson shouldn't even be there at all. :$

How damaging is Flanders would be the query and he only moved into the midfield in the last 1/3 of the season. He’s not ahead of any of the running defenders. Anderson was GC’s best player by a mile too, wouldn’t pick him for the side but squad selection is right

Darcy Cameron over Marshall............. wtf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will probably win our b&f, I think he has the most coaches votes for us as well. Surely he is picked ahead of Darcy Cameron?
The selectors had Rowan Marshall in the mix after 14 or 15 games. But they felt his form dipped below AA standard down the final stretch of games

I disagree with that. But it’s probably a moot point anyway. The ruck position is clearly a head-to-head poll between Gawn and Xerri

Darcy Cameron had a great season and it’s no surprise he made the squad. Him and Marshall (and Meek and De Koning) were probably the next best ruckmen this year.

Marshall is a good all-round big man. Wins a lot of clearances, which don’t always amount to much.

Cameron is in there for his intercept marking. One of the best overhead marks in the AFL. Not sure why people fail to see this. He was the Pies second best player this season.

I’m glad they left out Grundy whose form tailed off badly as the year progressed

Jason Horne-Francis > whichever stat padder from your team you think should be selected ahead of Jason Horne-Francis because they score more Supercoach points. Clutch as ****. We're 2nd on the ladder because of him. Without him I doubt we're even in the 8.

Zac Guthrie- you clearly don’t watch much quality football but that’s understandable.
Lol. Not sure I blame the other bloke for being confused, you're the one who started mentioning Zac Guthrie and the AA side in the same sentence.

FB: Zorko, Weitering, Ryan
HB: Houston, McGovern, Whitfield
CT: Gulden, Cripps (c), Warner
HF: Heeney, Daniher, Moore
FF: Stengle, Hogan, Curnow
RU: Gawn, Daicos, Bontempelli (vc)
INT: Horne-Francis, Butters, Neale, Blakey

A lot of unlucky guys.
Merrett, Serong, Treloar, Andrews, Sinclair, Xerri to name but a few.

Few notes:
  • I have Zorko just over Sinclair.
  • JHF gets a spot over Merrett, Serong, and Treloar (and others) for his versatility to have impact playing forward
  • Gawn probably gets the nod over Xerri
  • Weitering is deserving and I’ve put him in but he’ll likely get snubbed again. They’ll go with Andrews even though Weitering has the lowest one-on-one contest loss rate by a considerable margin. A Weitering/McGovern combo is perfect for both shutting down the oppositions best forward and intercept possession.
  • Daniher over J. Cameron for his versatility to second ruck

Last edited:
You are projecting what he could be, not what he currently is.

For clarity's sake and to point out what a rube you are on this point in particular, Menzel did a knee and was never the same player.

You might want to give the hair a pat to remove that extra part.

Again, I look forward to Merrett being so valuable to your team on the outside with his pace and laser precise kicking, that he's pushed out to a wing.

And hey, if HirdsTheWord... is the word vacuous?

Last edited:
Haha, we won the AA squad numbers. Sucked in all you losers playing finals.

We get not to play in September and pay our players more due to winning individual awards, winning.
Remember to remind your mates over on the Dockers Board about the All Australian “Vic bias”

I noticed a few of them complaining recently how you had to be Victorian in order to be noticed by the selection committee

All the evidence demonstrates the EXACT OPPOSITE (both this year and in previous years)

Every year, there is an over-representation of players from non-Victorian teams in the squad… Particularly so for Eagles and Dockers players, thanks to Jakovicb and Pavlich being on the selection panel.

The Hawks would probably fare better with All Australian selections if we had Hodgey and Isaac Smith on the AA committee; pumping up the better Hawthorn players; and voting against the WA players they’d only seen 3 or 4 times throughout the year

Same goes for the players from St Kilda, Melbourne and North. i.e. none of the Vic clubs who are the prime time, media darlings like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and Geelong; with their army of admirers in the media who constantly fluff the pillows of their better players.

Remember to remind your mates over on the Dockers Board about the All Australian “Vic bias”

I noticed a few of them complaining recently how you had to be Victorian in order to be noticed by the selection committee

All the evidence demonstrates the EXACT OPPOSITE (both this year and in previous years)

Every year, there is an over-representation of players from non-Victorian teams in the squad… Particularly so for Eagles and Dockers players, thanks to Jakovicb and Pavlich being on the selection panel.

The Hawks would probably fare better with All Australian selections if we had Hodgey and Isaac Smith on the AA committee; pumping up the better Hawthorn players; and voting against the WA players they’d only seen 3 or 4 times throughout the year

Same goes for the players from St Kilda, Melbourne and North. i.e. none of the Vic clubs who are the prime time, media darlings like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and Geelong; with their army of admirers in the media who constantly fluff the pillows of their better players.
4 of the top 5 clubs are interstate clubs though?

I think it says more about Hawthorns strengths of having very good players across the board rather than 5 stars and then a drastic fall off. Same as Geelong at the moment this is our least “star” packed side in years and it’s hard for sides to find a weakness that way.

Jason Horne-Francis > whichever stat padder from your team you think should be selected ahead of Jason Horne-Francis because they score more Supercoach points. Clutch as ****. We're 2nd on the ladder because of him. Without him I doubt we're even in the 8.

I'm worried he might miss out based on stats but if they've actually been watching our games, he's undeniably an All Australian. Our clearcut best player week in week out carrying us to victory on his back, and we finished 2nd.

4 of the top 5 clubs are interstate clubs though?

I think it says more about Hawthorns strengths of having very good players across the board rather than 5 stars and then a drastic fall off. Same as Geelong at the moment this is our least “star” packed side in years and it’s hard for sides to find a weakness that way.
Yeah, fair enough. It’s true. Incredibly even contribution from the entire Hawthorn team this year.

I was just making the point to our WA friends that the so-called “Vic Bias” is really “Big 4” bias… plus the AA committee seem to love their Cats and Dogs, too… and then you have the built-in selection bias towards players from the non-Vic teams (with dedicated selectors such as Pav, Jako, and Jude Bolton)

I like to have a whinge about the unlucky Hawthorn players who get dudded and miss out on selection.

Jai Newcombe was terrific again this year. But the problem is we have Bont, Daicos, Butters, Cripps, Neale, Heeney, Warner, Gulden, Merrett, Serong and Young also vying for selection. He isn’t gonna be selected ahead of them. But I thought he could’ve at least been named in the squad ahead of Brayshaw and Anderson.

I also think Hawks defenders: Impey, Hardwick and Scrimshaw were at least the equal of some of the defenders they’ve named in the squad. They might not get the same media hype or stats, but they all had quietly awesome seasons. Pretty sure if they played for “prime time” clubs like Carlton or Collingwood, they would get more fanfare and more support for AA selection

Oh well…

I’m pretty used to it by now…

Last edited:
FB: Zorko, Andrews, Blakey
HB: Houston, McGovern, Whitfield
CT: Gulden, Cripps (vc), Merrett
HF: Heeney, Daniher, Horne-Francis
FF: Stengle, Hogan, Moore
RU: Gawn, Daicos, Bontempelli (c)
INT: Serong, Butters, Neale, Holmes

I didn't watch every West Coast game this year but I saw most and McGovern was very good the ones I saw. I'd probably have him in over Siciliy as the CHB. Sic started slow (like most in our first 5 except Worple) but did still have a great year, missed a few with injuries too. He might get in, and he really should have another jacket (2022).

Weitering very unlucky but I think if they pick a balanced back 6 you go Andrews and then one of Gov or Sic. I wouldn't be upset if he was picked though.

I think you could easily have Sinclair in for either Houston or Whitfield. Clark also had a great year I just think Zorko was a touch better and a bit more versatile.

If they pick two genuine wings then D'Ambrosio walks in and I could still see a world where he sneaks on the bench. I know it might come across as Hawthorn bias but his season has honestly been fantastic. He puts another season like that together and he'll force his way in next year. I think they'll put Merrett on the other wing, he has had a terrific year and plays a great outside game. Wouldn't be shocked if Young ended up there too. Finished the season red hot. I must admit I didn't watch a huge amount of Freo so he may have played a lot more inside than I think too.

Both Heeney and JHF are genuine mid/forwards. Stengle and Moore are the two stand out smalls. Daniher over Curnow for me as he can ruck. I don't like having three talls. Heeney is tall enough to play 3rd anyway.

Thoughts? I've probably made 1 or 2 glaring errors. Happy to be corrected.

Sorry but how is Nick Daicos an outside midfielder?
He plays the first receiver role which I consider more outside than inside. Similar to Merrett.

Good to see brayshaw get a squad nod
Flown under the radar this year.
4th for score inv in the league.
Like I’ve said previously irrespective of your own thoughts on coaches votes the AA selectors seem to froth over them.
Brayshaw young serong all in top 20 last time I checked and Clark and Ryan would be top 5 for genuine defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back