2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues and pies have one each

Expect swans to have 4 and I’d like to see hawks rewarded with all three

Will be interesting to see Freo and if they are punished for their last month

As much as I'd love all 3 Hawthorn players to make it, I'm not a fan of this methodology.

AA is purely an individual award - teams don't need to be "rewarded" IMO.

A player's season/impact/effectiveness should not be measured by how good his teammates are(which in a sport where you are 1 out of 44 in the game, will always be the case when judging an individual by team performance).

As much as I'd love all 3 Hawthorn players to make it, I'm not a fan of this methodology.

AA is purely an individual award - teams don't need to be "rewarded" IMO.

A player's season/impact/effectiveness should not be measured by how good his teammates are(which in a sport where you are 1 out of 44 in the game, will always be the case when judging an individual by team performance).

Agreed. It was like that year something like 6 or 7 Geelong players made the AA team. I don't care how successful Geelong were that year. They did not have 35% of the best players in the competition.

Maybe neither should make it, but I can't have Liam Ryan over Bailey Dale. Ryan pumps his stats up with kick-ins, and is not even as effective with them as Dale is, who is one of the more accurate and creative kicks in the league coming out of half back (his target hitting in gusty winds last week was a clinic).

I'm not sure neutral footy fans have appreciated how good his season has been.
Liam Ryan did not take one kick out this year from memory.

I mentioned it on the Nick Daicos thread but it is relevant here too.

I wish that Champion Data released all their stats to the public. There is no reason they shouldn't either as they are basically owned by the AFL and I think if we had access to all the stats it would elevate the discussion here a lot. We all know we are only getting a small fraction of the data that is actually being made, drip fed just enough to have a discussion but not being able to go into too much depth.

I for one think disposals is a terrible stat for determining how good a player has been as all that says is the player can find the ball, but it makes no mention of how effective that player is with the ball, or how much of a benefit that is to the team of said player. I think we can all agree the Crouch brothers getting 40 disposals would not be the same as someone like Pendlebury getting 40 disposals, and yet they look the same on the stats sheet.

The stat I wish was around, and should be around as Champion Data collect all the information necessary for it to exist is "effective metres gained". I think that stat would be so much more useful than disposals in telling us which players are actually damaging when they get the ball and which ones just pad out their stats while achieving very little.

Whats the full team?
Champion Data’s 2024 All-Australian team

FB:
Nick Blakey (SYD) / Sam Collins (GCS) / Dan Houston (PA)
HB: Jack Sinclair (STK) / Jeremy McGovern (WCE) / Bailey Dale (WB)
C: Errol Gulden (SYD) / Patrick Cripps (CAR) / Massimo D’Ambrosio (HAW)
HF: Hayden Young (FRE) / Aaron Naughton (WB) / Harry Sheezel (NM)
FF: Brent Daniels (GWS) / Jesse Hogan (GWS) / Tyson Stengle (GEE)
FOL: Max Gawn (MEL) / Marcus Bontempelli (WB) / Isaac Heeney (SYD)
I/C: Zak Butters (PA) / Sam Flanders (GCS) / Max Holmes (GEE) / Dylan Moore (HAW) / Caleb Serong (FRE)

No need for anyone to reply to me, it's not my team.

My team

FB Zorko, Andrews, McGovern
HB Sheezel, Weitering, Whitfield
C Gulden, Cripps, Merrett (VC)
HF Warner, J.Cameron, Heeney
FF Waterman, Hogan, Moore
R Xerri, Bontempelli (C), Neale
Int N.Daicos, Butters, Treloar, Curnow

I wish that Champion Data released all their stats to the public. There is no reason they shouldn't either as they are basically owned by the AFL and I think if we had access to all the stats it would elevate the discussion here a lot. We all know we are only getting a small fraction of the data that is actually being made, drip fed just enough to have a discussion but not being able to go into too much depth.

I for one think disposals is a terrible stat for determining how good a player has been as all that says is the player can find the ball, but it makes no mention of how effective that player is with the ball, or how much of a benefit that is to the team of said player. I think we can all agree the Crouch brothers getting 40 disposals would not be the same as someone like Pendlebury getting 40 disposals, and yet they look the same on the stats sheet.

The stat I wish was around, and should be around as Champion Data collect all the information necessary for it to exist is "effective metres gained". I think that stat would be so much more useful than disposals in telling us which players are actually damaging when they get the ball and which ones just pad out their stats while achieving very little.
In the same regard I want to see more of stats like assisted metres gained. I actually dont care if an inside mid like Rowell or Libba is getting the ball out backwards if its effectively getting in the hands of a better user on the outside who then effectively gets the ball forward.

Or +/- scores to show who is actually having big impacts when on the field or on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge agreement here. I think they should make the scores for each individual act that contributes to a player rating available. I think the methodology behind it is interesting, but just having one catch-all black-box rating leads to people mistrusting the rating. If each individual item was listed, then they could be sliced and diced however people want to to compare who has the most damaging disposal, who wins the most valuable contested ball, etc. And we wouldn't be limited to once-a-week insight from a bloke on SEN to understand it.

Another simple thing I wish was available, especially with the 6-6-6 rule now enforced, is recording of the starting position of ALL players at each centre bounce. We have CBAs, so why can't we have FBAs, BBAs and WBAs? This stat could then be applied to the All Australian team, where you say any forward selected needs to have x% of FBAs, and the wing position requires x% WBAs.

Maybe neither should make it, but I can't have Luke Ryan over Bailey Dale. Ryan pumps his stats up with kick-ins, and is not even as effective with them as Dale is, who is one of the more accurate and creative kicks in the league coming out of half back (his target hitting in gusty winds last week was a clinic).

I'm not sure neutral footy fans have appreciated how good his season has been.
Ryan aves
More tackles
More intercepts
More defensive half pressure acts
More score launches
More metres gained with Less disposals
Nearly triple the spoils and one percenters
A lot of those are great traits of a back pocket and most of them have nothing to do with kick ins

Huge agreement here. I think they should make the scores for each individual act that contributes to a player rating available. I think the methodology behind it is interesting, but just having one catch-all black-box rating leads to people mistrusting the rating. If each individual item was listed, then they could be sliced and diced however people want to to compare who has the most damaging disposal, who wins the most valuable contested ball, etc. And we wouldn't be limited to once-a-week insight from a bloke on SEN to understand it.

Another simple thing I wish was available, especially with the 6-6-6 rule now enforced, is recording of the starting position of ALL players at each centre bounce. We have CBAs, so why can't we have FBAs, BBAs and WBAs? This stat could then be applied to the All Australian team, where you say any forward selected needs to have x% of FBAs, and the wing position requires x% WBAs.
Champion Data already does this

It's called the player ratings

Ryan aves
More tackles
More intercepts
More score launches
A lot of those are great traits of a back pocket and most of them have nothing to do with kick ins
Yeah, yeah... Great stats...

But he isn't one of the six best backmen in the AFL

Sicily >>>>>>> Ryan

Ryan aves
More tackles
More intercepts
More score launches
Actually a lot of those stats have to do with kick ins, like metres gained

Ryan averaged the most kick ins in the league with 6.2 per game.

Dale is rank 6 for general defenders (below those that also played midfield if still classified as defenders) in player ratings points. Ryan is rank 15.

Dale averages 5.5 contested possessions a game, Ryan 4.1. That difference matters.

Dale averages 3.7 turnovers per game, Ryan 4.0. That difference matters

Dale kicked 5 goals across the season, Ryan kicked 0. That difference matters in terms of adding value to the team.

Dale had 39 coaches votes, Ryan had 24.

Ryan might have had more tackles, but Dale had more pressure acts etc...

Dale's kicking was far more critical in breaking the game open and especially in challenging areas, evidenced by Dale's 2.7 inside 50's per game vs. Ryan's 1.0.

Those stats for Ryan only look better ... because he was far more often playing on the last line of defence, where it's much more easier to hit targets under less pressure, and the successful movement of the ball (which Dale was just as successful) is less valuable because it isn't driving the ball in the attacking half of the ground, or at the very least beyond the own defensive area, as much as Dale. Plus the 5 goals to 0 in the season.

Actually a lot of those stats have to do with kick ins, like metres gained

Ryan averaged the most kick ins in the league with 6.2 per game.

Dale is rank 6 for general defenders (below those that also played midfield if still classified as defenders) in player ratings points. Ryan is rank 15.

Dale averages 5.5 contested possessions a game, Ryan 4.1. That difference matters.

Dale averages 3.7 turnovers per game, Ryan 4.0. That difference matters

Dale kicked 5 goals across the season, Ryan kicked 0. That difference matters in terms of adding value to the team.

Dale had 39 coaches votes, Ryan had 24.

Ryan might have had more tackles, but Dale had more pressure acts etc...

Dale's kicking was far more critical in breaking the game open and especially in challenging areas, evidenced by Dale's 2.7 inside 50's per game vs. Ryan's 1.0.

Those stats for Ryan only look better ... because he was far more often playing on the last line of defence, where it's much more easier to hit targets under less pressure, and the successful movement of the ball (which Dale was just as successful) is less valuable because it isn't driving the ball in the attacking half of the ground, or at the very least beyond the own defensive area, as much as Dale. Plus the 5 goals to 0 in the season.
So Ryan was playing more on the last line of defence.
Where on the field is back pocket?

Champion Data already does this

It's called the player ratings
Yeah...
But they don't provide the breakdown of each action do they?

Like in the guidelines for the player ratings they give this example of Lewis Jetta in the 2012 GF:

Screenshot 2024-08-28 at 4.27.54 pm.png

I've never seen anything like this available to the public though.

So Ryan was playing more on the last line of defence.
Where on the field is back pocket?
If you're being so pedantic about the definition of a back pocket against a half-back flanker, the entire excercise doesn't make sense, because in the squad of 44 they didn't pick 2 of role x, role y, role z. They didn't pick 4 back pockets for a first picked 22 and a second picked 22 in the 44 for goodness sake.

Zorko....Weitering...Sicily (vc)
Blakey...McGovern..Sheezel
Gulden...Cripps......N.Daicos
Warner...Cameron..Bontempelli (c)
Moore....Hogan......Horne-Francis

Gawn.....Heeney....Neale

Butters...Serong...Merrett..Curnow
Weitering isn't ranked elite in any of the 5 key categories the experts are analysing.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back