Preview 2024 Round 13: Swans v Cats (a fast preview's a good preview)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they're kinda viewed as has-beens, but Geelong are dangerous IMO. They're a bit dysfunctional as a team of late, but they have a lot of individual weapons. Blicavs, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Cameron, Miers, Holmes, Stewart, Tuohy, Stengle... it's a fair number of players who could tear us a new one if we're not careful. Guys like Bowes, Atkins, Bruhn, Dempsey etc. might not seem like much either but as we saw with our midfield vs Carlton, sometimes things can just click and it starts working for them.

Take them lightly and they'll beat us.

I back the boys in to be more fearful of Geelong than the general footy audience and fans are.

Cats have had some massive comebacks this year. Regardless of who they played the point stands, they're never out of it until the final siren and we'd best remember that.

A good win at home would be very nice. But going to be a challenge. Keen to see what tactics they'll be using against the mids and Grundy.

I know they're kinda viewed as has-beens, but Geelong are dangerous IMO. They're a bit dysfunctional as a team of late, but they have a lot of individual weapons. Blicavs, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Cameron, Miers, Holmes, Stewart, Tuohy, Stengle... it's a fair number of players who could tear us a new one if we're not careful. Guys like Bowes, Atkins, Bruhn, Dempsey etc. might not seem like much either but as we saw with our midfield vs Carlton, sometimes things can just click and it starts working for them.

I back the boys in to be more fearful of Geelong than the general footy audience and fans are.
I fear most teams this year. If you are a little off in your mindset the opposing team will run all over you.
As Punts famously once or a thousand times said.....D......G....

Geelong will play the power game on us from the midfield and use their bigger bodies to break us down.
I too am worried about how the new htb interpretation affects the likes of gulden, warner and Rowbottom. They have to get it out cleanly because im
Sure the umps will be hot on it.

We have to hunt them
Down and can’t lose any ground ball contests to them.

Lower the eyes going forward and less bombing because Stewart and co will have a field day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a swans fan i'm never exactly confident going into any game ... but dangerfield now is not the dangerfield of days gone by, especially coming back after a break
his kicking is not what it was and i just don't think he's as consistently effective across a full game
maybe geelong upsets us, and it would be an upset ... but i'm not really concerned that it'll be dangerfield who beats us

Haha. Since the 50s, I have always been at least hopeful but never certain.

I felt sure JJ goes to Stewart, but Kane Cornes & co. convinced me on SEN today that he goes to Holmes.

The argument did make a lot of sense.
Holmes is big boy, not sure it would be the best matchup. I think it would make more sense for him to nullify Miers. Would also make it easier for him to work offensively.

Last edited:
Tbh, from now on we should never lose. Every game we will come in as favourites.

Something easy to forget is that winning is easy. When your winning you don't have to change, you don't have to move magnets, shift players ruin your own game. You just keep on going. That's all we need to do.

Tbh, from now on we should never lose. Every game we will come in as favourites.

Something easy to forget is that winning is easy. When your winning you don't have to change, you don't have to move magnets, shift players ruin your own game. You just keep on going. That's all we need to do.

Also you are keeping the same team every week, players are used to playing with certain players

Also you are keeping the same team every week, players are used to playing with certain players
I’ve said it many times, there’s some incredible stat that in the run-up to the ‘05 flag, in something like the last 12 games of the season, we had just one personnel change. (Sean Dempster in for Luke Vogels, from memory.)

I’ve said it many times, there’s some incredible stat that in the run-up to the ‘05 flag, in something like the last 12 games of the season, we had just one personnel change. (Sean Dempster in for Luke Vogels, from memory.)

Generally the teams that contend have the least injuries

Yeah, if you ask their fans they're all preparing for a 10 goal belting but Danger and Guthrie aside (important cogs in that midfield I know) they are at full strength. They can cause an upset if we're off.

Yeah, if you ask their fans they're all preparing for a 10 goal belting but Danger and Guthrie aside (important cogs in that midfield I know) they are at full strength. They can cause an upset if we're off.

As long as Danger doesn't play I'll be happy, and Cameron not being there would be ideal lol

I’m confident of a pretty good win here. Something in the 5-7 goal range. I just think Geelong is teetering and their core of old bodies in Hawkins, Dangerfield (if he plays), C.Guthrie (if he plays), Tuohy, Duncan are ripe for our young guys to put metres on them. Add in their ruck is a serious problem whether it’s Conway who is promising but raw or Stanley who is just done. Grundy will have either of them for lunch. If we can sit on Max Holmes (I suspect with Jordon) then I think we’ll win this fairly comfortably. I don’t think we play the type of game that Stewart will dominate that easily anyway, I think we can move the ball around him as long as we have somebody within cooee of him.

I think upcoming games against Adelaide (although we are significantly better than them) and GWS pose greater dangers for us personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back