Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 138 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I'd be leaning towards doing nothing at that price.

Not sure who Perryman would replace in our side. He's played as like a 7th midfielder and back pocket at GWS. Sometimes wing?

Is it worth spending $5 million to replace a Dowling type?

We can say he'd replace Laird I guess but let's be honest...

My preference is still Cumming, but I think either player would – at a minimum – add experience in an elite environment, high-level skills, and increase the pressure for places. And reckon that, at present, either would start off a half-back flank or on the wing.

I guess the question I'd have is, here's a sample best 22 for 2025

B Worrell - Butts - Michalanney
HB Nankervis - Murray - Hinge

R O'Brien - Dawson - Rankine
C Sholl - Crouch - Soligo

HF Cook - Fogarty - Rachele
F Keays - Walker - Thilthorpe

I Curtin - Pedlar - Laird - Pick 4 - Dowling

Next Up Milera - Taylor - Berry - Ryan

Which player are we swapping out for that Perryman price?

Even if it's to replace Crouch and Laird (if you're optimistic about that happening) we already have guys lining up for those roles. Is Perryman really a six year, $850k p/a midfielder?

Even if it's to replace Crouch and Laird (if you're optimistic about that happening) we already have guys lining up for those roles. Is Perryman really a six year, $850k p/a midfielder?

So basically the same side that is sitting what are we 14th and we can't improve it?

So basically the same side that is sitting what are we 14th and we can't improve it?

Of course we can improve it, if we target areas that need improving. Like our core midfield with elite talent, our small forward stocks, our ruck.

Does Perryman actually improve our team significantly, to the tune of $5 million, instead of playing someone we already have?

He's a good player, but he's closer to the role player end of the scale than star end of the scale. So the question has to be asked whether it's worth that sort of cash to replace one of our role players off half back, the wing, 2nd midfield rotation

Does Perryman actually improve our team significantly, to the tune of $5 million, instead of playing someone we already have?

No. 850k is insane for someone who has done nothing for 2 years but be a medicore back pocket. Not to mention he never plays full seasons. While we can afford it and it does improve our team, blatantly overpaying is always bad list management it can hurt in the long run. Geelong never overpay for players and their list management is second to none.

I like Perryman, I think he’s an underrated player. I understand the price tag can be seen as hefty, But you can get him for nothing and holding onto our draft capital.

Crouch or Laird would have to make way for him as you can’t have all three to start but also considering Dowling

Given we just signed Sholl we must have pencilled in a spot for him and given the team above we arent moving Soligo off a wing either

He is the right age and games profile we are looking at

I dont know about price but I want to know where he plays for the coin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crouch or Laird would have to make way for him as you can’t have all three to start but also considering Dowling
And like it or not despite what some might say this is a huge problem.

Its why I asked about Crouch moving on. Sure I want Laird to move back but thats not happening either

No. 850k is insane for someone who has done nothing for 2 years but be a medicore back pocket. Not to mention he never plays full seasons. While we can afford it and it does improve our team, blatantly overpaying is always bad list management it can hurt in the long run. Geelong never overpay for players and their list management is second to none.
What? He played most of last year which is why some were very keen on him as a FA but hasn't been as good this year. Apparently band 1 for FA will be $950K this year instead of $850K last year so he would attract a compensation like Doedee received last year so his value is probably around the mark as Doedee.

Based on the long term AFL injury data, teams can expect 4-5 of their best 23 to be unavailable on any given week. Sometimes it’s up to 10, very, very rarely is it two or less. Last week we had Worrell, Milera, Hinge Crouch and Rankine missing (plus Pedlar who is arguably no longer in our best 23).

Use a random number generator to remove say 4 of your team. Is there room for Perryman?

Based on the long term AFL injury data, teams can expect 4-5 of their best 23 to be unavailable on any given week. Sometimes it’s up to 10, very, very rarely is it two or less. Last we had Worrell, Milera, Hinge Crouch and Rankine missing plus Pedlar Whois arguably not in our best 23.

Use a random number generator to remove say 4 of your team. Is there room for Perryman?
As good as we’d like Cook and Pedlar to become, Perryman plays ahead of both of them anyway

Based on the long term AFL injury data, teams can expect 4-5 of their best 23 to be unavailable on any given week. Sometimes it’s up to 10, very, very rarely is it two or less. Last we had Worrell, Milera, Hinge Crouch and Rankine missing plus Pedlar Whois arguably not in our best 23.

Is a bench / injury cover player worth $5 million?

I mean Perryman would be best 22 in our side with no injuries. You'd play him instead of Dowling, Laird, etc. (the club wouldn't play him over Laird but would play him instead of Nankervis, Cook, etc)

But is he a difference maker? I doubt it.

As good as we’d like Cook and Pedlar to become, Perryman plays ahead of both of them anyway

I agree, but Cook and Pedlar are low paid, inexperienced role players.

We're talking about upgrading one of those roles at twice the salary if not more

Let’s face it, we are struggling to bring in a Dawson/Rankine quality player. Honestly haven’t paid too much attention to Perryman to know how good he is but presuming he must be better than Jones, McHenry, Murphy. McHenry will be gone, there saves about $400k, so Perryman is costing us $400k.

We’ve got a shit load of cap so who cares.

I agree, but Cook and Pedlar are low paid, inexperienced role players.

We're talking about upgrading one of those roles at twice the salary if not more
Yeah I get what you’re saying, in the context of what his current output would mean to our side 850k would be an overpay. But as mentioned, you have to pay big $$$ to players who you think can add a lot your side

I know some of that money needs to go towards locking down our own players, but the only ones I can see looking for big paydays in the near future are Rankine, Fog, RT (all 2025) and Daws (2026). Maybe Max and Hinge in 26, but it seems pretty certain they’ll be Crows for life

Tex, Sloane, Smith will be off the books by the end of next year too, and maybe even ROB/Crouch/Milera (or at least, a decrease in pay for that trip), so we’ll have plenty of cash to splash before every team is able to do so when the salary cap drastically increases in a few years

I do think Perryman’s ceiling is higher than the role he’s been playing at the Giants, he’s a pretty well rounded player that IMO could fill a hole as a balanced in/out mid. I’d preference Cumming and his speed first, but if we can’t get him I’d welcome Perryman with open arms

While I agree that Perryman isn’t the ideal target for us in a perfect world, we swap out the same player for him as we would have for McCluggage, or Gulden - it’s just that the upgrade isn’t as significant.

Who is that player? Well from your team above it’s clearly Pedlar, whose career is pretty much in the toilet, but from the team that played St Kilda on the weekend it’s clearly Brodie Smith. If we’re projecting Smith to be relegated to depth once Hinge, Worrell and maybe even Milera are all available for selection at the same time, then I would absolutely hope the player to make way is Laird (but let’s be honest, that isn’t likely). Pick 4-6 might take some time to develop. This is another step towards Chayce Jones never being in our best side again. It pushes the likes of Murphy, McHenry and Bond further down the pecking order. Etc.

All of that aside, Perryman doesn’t excite me a huge amount. Cumming has the edge over HP in both foot speed and footskills so IC makes a lot more sense in terms of what I think we should be looking for, ultimately to push the likes of Smith and Jones out of the side for good (because they’re just plain bad). Who knows, maybe we’ve already sewn Cumming up and are going for the package deal here with Pez?

I suppose the question then becomes, “besides Cumming, is there anyone else out of contract who is a better fit for us to be throwing 850k x6 at than Perryman this year?” The only two I can see are Liam Baker (and let’s be honest he’s off to West Coast) and maybe even Cam Zurhaar (who seems like a complete flog and strikes me as the type who might not be willing to relocate to SA). Some might make an argument for Tim English because of the sad state of our ruck stocks. I wouldn’t.

Sure, we could target a contracted player, but then we’re throwing away 1st rounders in a trade and I don’t think this is the year to be doing that.

Summary: The club has clearly always been enamoured with Perryman, dating back to his junior days which culminated in us bidding on him in the first round of the 2016 draft (for those playing at home, once GWS matched our bid at pick 14, we picked the amazing Combine star Jordan Gallucci over all of Will Hayward, Jarrod Berry, SPP, Tim English, Shai Bolton, Brennan Cox, Tom Stewart, Todd Marshall, Jordan Ridley, Isaac Cumming, Willem Drew, Sean Darcy, Josh Battle, Darcy Cameron, Brandon Parfitt, Pat Lipinski, Zac Fisher and Alex Witherden).

We have a ton of money available. An absolute ton. Struggling to hit the cap floor. Perryman has been part of a team that has won some key finals. We barely have half a dozen players in our entire squad left who have ever even played in a final. He costs 0 in trade capital.

Perryman on his own would be a nice get, without being a massive life-changing event. Getting both of HP and IC together would be a major, major coup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Back