Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 138 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Who we spending our money on if we don’t bring in any recruits?

Cleary we aren’t getting anyone better and we have to overpay whoever we recruit
So it's shinytoyitis over value for money...6 years too ...pass.

Cleary we aren’t getting anyone better and we have to overpay whoever we recruit

Hold it, front load, hit the draft hard, go again next year

The counter-argument is that we’d be better off paying our own players, but as I stated there’s only a few at this stage who’d be looking for significant increases in the coming years. We absolutely may as well go after Perryman/Cumming types if we can get them, free of draft capital-cost

Good thing we’ve already got Soli and Rash locked down until 29

To be honest I'd be leaning towards doing nothing at that price.

Not sure who Perryman would replace in our side. He's played as like a 7th midfielder and back pocket at GWS. Sometimes wing?

Is it worth spending $5 million to replace a Dowling type?

We can say he'd replace Laird I guess but let's be honest...
He would replace Milera.

Hold it, front load, hit the draft hard, go again next year
I’m guessing we’ll have enough capspace to get someone in 2025 too (if we go get Perryman), likely a KPD with Ballard/Balta/Petty/Weitering all free agents

And it sounds like LDU doesn’t have any interest leaving VIC, so let’s not go there

Would he be in our best 22? Which players you playing ahead of him and who you spending the money on?
Keep the money for an elite talent if it was me. He's a good average player, never really looked like being a permanent midfielder there even when injuries have hit them. Not quick either.

The counter-argument is that we’d be better off paying our own players, but as I stated there’s only a few at this stage who’d be looking for significant increases in the coming years. We absolutely may as well go after Perryman/Cumming types if we can get them, free of draft capital-cost

Good thing we’ve already got Soli and Rash locked down until 29

Darcy Fogarty is out of contract and a free agent end of next year. Re-do his contract a year early and pay him a shitload in 2025

Same could be done for Rankine, who only signed a three year deal to end of 2025. And Nick Murray who also comes out of contract end of next year

Keep the money for an elite talent if it was me. He's a good average player, never really looked like being a permanent midfielder there even when injuries have hit them. Not quick either.
If past history is anything to go by, that’ll be a ‘Tippett war chest’ scenario all over again, though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look that’s clearly the preference but 2 years running we haven’t attracted one. Will we get one in the next 1-2 years? That’s very wishful thinking unless there’s an elite SA player like Dawson or Rankine wanting to come home.

In the meantime if we can improve our best 22 then what’s the harm? We have a shitload of cap space. Everyone keeps saying how young we are. We’ve thrown out some massive offers, clearly we’ve got money to burn.

The beauty is he costs us nothing in draft capital.

But just take it as a sign of where we are as a club that Perryman is the best we can attract and we have to overpay to get him.

Yeah let's overpay for good average players....and 6 effing years.
I’m not arguing it’s an overpay

But the money’s gotta be spent at some point. Unless we think we can grab NWM at the end of next year (I’d be happy to wait in this case), I’d rather we cash our chips in rather than waiting until Dawson’s close to 30

And as stated, we’ll be able to re-generate cap space for other guys in the future quite easily, IMO

Darcy Fogarty is out of contract and a free agent end of next year. Re-do his contract a year early and pay him a shitload in 2025

Same could be done for Rankine, who only signed a three year deal to end of 2025. And Nick Murray who also comes out of contract end of next year
We could do all of that and still recruit players, look at our list!

To be fair there's talk of $950k deals for Josh Battle who is an average player so I guess list managers are going crazy

The problem with T English is that he’s potentially 1 concussion away from career over, and he’s now getting routinely annihilated in hitout battles. I’d take Perryman 8 days a week over that, noting that we do absolutely also need to bring in a ruckman from somewhere.

The problem with T English is that he’s potentially 1 concussion away from career over, and he’s now getting routinely annihilated in hitout battles. I’d take Perryman 8 days a week over that, noting that we do absolutely also need to bring in a ruckman from somewhere.

I'd pay $5 million just to delist O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Back