Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 141 84.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just sitting there refusing to pay up for anyone or trade anything unless it's this white whale grade A mid (who let's face it, doesn't exist) is exactly how we got in the situation we're currently in, you pay overs for free agents, that's just what happens.

It's an experienced footballer who probably makes our coaches less afraid to drop our own veterans who are either cooked or middling to begin with.

Sounds like we're desperate
I'm pleased that we're not pretending that we aren't.

Previously there's been unjustified calmness, bordering on smugness

Haven't we just been through this whole thing of managers using us to drive costs up? Surely no one's paying that for Perryman. Almost (but not really) understand for a key position player like Battle but half back flankers are a dime a dozen. If this isn't smoke and mirrors then the AFL needs to act now on the FA compensation that's going to see the draft seriously compromised by these insanely inflated contracts generated by clubs who have lots of cap space not needing to give up picks.

Haven't we just been through this whole thing of managers using us to drive costs up? Surely no one's paying that for Perryman. Almost (but not really) understand for a key position player like Battle but half back flankers are a dime a dozen. If this isn't smoke and mirrors then the AFL needs to act now on the FA compensation that's going to see the draft seriously compromised by these insanely inflated contracts generated by clubs who have lots of cap space not needing to give up picks.
So what you’re saying is no player/manager takes us super seriously, but just seriously enough to get their current clubs (or other rival clubs) to beat our offers?

Yaaaay

So what you’re saying is no player/manager takes us super seriously, but just seriously enough to get their current clubs (or other rival clubs) to beat our offers?

Yaaaay
That seems to be the case. We're the new resource for managers boosting their coffers, much like North was for a good while.

The reality is that as a club we struggle to attract elite non-SA talent.

The whole building a war chest idea is great - but unfortunately history has shown us that unless they bang their teammates wife and are kicked out of their club - we haven't been able to entice anyone who is best 22 at their club and non SA to come here.

My view is that we actually have a pretty solid list and are in a spot to overspend to lure other players.

Would happily pay Cummings or Perryman to come here. Think they would see a lot more opportunity than at GWS. We have a pretty sound record of best 22 players we poach playing well once they arrive (Betts, Dawson, Rankine).

The reality is that as a club we struggle to attract elite non-SA talent.

The whole building a war chest idea is great - but unfortunately history has shown us that unless they bang their teammates wife and are kicked out of their club - we haven't been able to entice anyone who is best 22 at their club and non SA to come here.

My view is that we actually have a pretty solid list and are in a spot to overspend to lure other players.

Would happily pay Cummings or Perryman to come here. Think they would see a lot more opportunity than at GWS. We have a pretty sound record of best 22 players we poach playing well once they arrive (Betts, Dawson, Rankine).
Carey actually spent a good chunk of his childhood in Adelaide and was recruited to the Kangas from North Adelaide.

Betts however isn't from Adelaide, born in Port Lincoln but moved to WA as a baby. Went back there for a hot minute but then moved to Melbourne as a 15 yr old.

Paul Seedsman was a handy non SA recruit. Mark Stevens back in the day, very underrated player. Shane Ellen, Matt Connell. All a good while ago though.

Last edited:

Yaaaay

I don't think its as sinister as that.

We have publicly admitted that we have a lot of cap room and are chasing players. Of course the managers are going to use that to drive up the contracts for their players (and the commissions for themselves).

2 of the last 3 offseason's we poached Dawson and Rankine - so I think the other clubs do take us seriously.

I guess the question I'd have is, here's a sample best 22 for 2025

B Worrell - Butts - Michalanney
HB Nankervis - Murray - Hinge

R O'Brien - Dawson - Rankine
C Sholl - Crouch - Soligo

HF Cook - Fogarty - Rachele
F Keays - Walker - Thilthorpe

I Curtin - Pedlar - Laird - Pick 4 - Dowling

Next Up Milera - Taylor - Berry - Ryan

Which player are we swapping out for that Perryman price?

Even if it's to replace Crouch and Laird (if you're optimistic about that happening) we already have guys lining up for those roles. Is Perryman really a six year, $850k p/a midfielder?
He would likely be pushing Pedlar or Cook out of that team. The thing is though that teams get injuries, you need good depth to cover those injuries. So if we bring in Perryman and it is pushing one of the above into a depth position then that is only making us stronger. We have seen this year that we have struggled with our depth when we have been hit with injuries.

We also need more experience in our side, we still have so many kids and we are about to lose more experience with Tex and Smith just about done. Perryman will be 26 next year so he fits into that age bracket we are currently lacking.

He would likely be pushing Pedlar or Cook out of that team. The thing is though that teams get injuries, you need good depth to cover those injuries. So if we bring in Perryman and it is pushing one of the above into a depth position then that is only making us stronger. We have seen this year that we have struggled with our depth when we have been hit with injuries.

We also need more experience in our side, we still have so many kids and we are about to lose more experience with Tex and Smith just about done. Perryman will be 26 next year so he fits into that age bracket we are currently lacking.

If we are talking best 22 - Perryman is getting picked before Nankervis, Cook, Dowling, Pick 4, Pedlar for round 1.

Summary: The club has clearly always been enamoured with Perryman, dating back to his junior days which culminated in us bidding on him in the first round of the 2016 draft (for those playing at home, once GWS matched our bid at pick 14, we picked the amazing Combine star Jordan Gallucci over all of Will Hayward, Jarrod Berry, SPP, Tim English, Shai Bolton, Brennan Cox, Tom Stewart, Todd Marshall, Jordan Ridley, Isaac Cumming, Willem Drew, Sean Darcy, Josh Battle, Darcy Cameron, Brandon Parfitt, Pat Lipinski, Zac Fisher and Alex Witherden).
Don Pyke leaves a trail of destruction everywhere he goes; losing GF's in inexplicable fashion, hiring unqualified nitwits to mentally scar half a side, blundering press conferences and overruling everyone who tells him "No Don".

To be fair Jordan was highly rated and was captain of Vic Metro. Shai Bolton though....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a bench / injury cover player worth $5 million?

I mean Perryman would be best 22 in our side with no injuries. You'd play him instead of Dowling, Laird, etc. (the club wouldn't play him over Laird but would play him instead of Nankervis, Cook, etc)

But is he a difference maker? I doubt it.
He'd be about our 12th best player.

He replaces our 22nd best.

We're improved.

I think people are overthinking this. We're miles off worrying about salary cap space or are we actually improving - of course we are

Hold it, front load, hit the draft hard, go again next year
And the next year and the next year and the next year ...

No point constantly waiting for better options that don't emerge. He's unrestricted so the extra money is just to guarantee he costs nothing.

We'll still have plenty of money in the future.

Would you be complaining if it was $675k? Is another $150k even worth talking about?

Keep the money for an elite talent if it was me. He's a good average player, never really looked like being a permanent midfielder there even when injuries have hit them. Not quick either.
What are you having to pay an elite player to move to SA? $1.3m?

And what is the cost in draft capital? Two picks?

And even then - who? We're talked about for just about everyone but they have no interest in moving to Adelaide.

The problem with T English is that he’s potentially 1 concussion away from career over, and he’s now getting routinely annihilated in hitout battles. I’d take Perryman 8 days a week over that, noting that we do absolutely also need to bring in a ruckman from somewhere.
If his career is over due to concussion, you can take him off the salary cap, same as Brayshaw.

Would love to see a breakdown of players who are on front loaded contracts who in turn demand a trade while still under contract.
This was how/why we swooped in Gibbs and why Carlton were so annoyed with Reid using that inside knowledge.

While it does sound good and definitely has a place, I do think you need to pick the player wisely and there is some risk involved (granted you can refuse to trade)

Although I thought they brought in a rule you can basically front load “On paper” and the years you account for salary don’t necessarily need to match the actual payment spread but no idea if I’m right with that recollection

I kind of agree with Scorpus in that we should be targeting needs more. If we want to get rid of Murphy and mchenry and actually have some talent as a small forward, we should be targeting a genuine small forward on decent coin. It's very much an area of need. Likewise ruck.

Wasn’t it reported only about a week ago we were out of the perrymsn race (twomey I think, maybe even a couple reporting it) and it was GWS or Hawks and if he did come to SA port but that less likely?

This is a big change in news so really who knows which to believe or how true

I’d be interested to hear updates from those who reported the opposite to what’s currently out there

Update: it was cleary on 3 July and twomey both reporting port lead the race and hawks the other in ‘the mix with GWS

What are you having to pay an elite player to move to SA? $1.3m?

And what is the cost in draft capital? Two picks?

And even then - who? We're talked about for just about everyone but they have no interest in moving to Adelaide.

Fine I disagree....I only need to be told you disagree once not on every post I made.

Nothing you say changes the fact Perryman is a good average player and a fair way away from being a game breaker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Back