VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Keelers opponent today Jefferson kicked 5 goals, he was servicable but not his best game. Shoenmaker started the game slowly but progressed as the game went on. There is no doubt he is a sensational kick but he needs to work on his contested marking and defensive game still.

As I mentioned in the AFL autopsy thread the entire list would benefit in having a marking coach. Its something that needs improvement right across our list. Have a look at our entire coaching group there is not one individual who played as a key marking player or as a ruckman, its an obvious void in the skill set in our coaches. As is forward ball movement and play which was also evident in the Sandringham game. We are really reticent to kick to a leading forward consequently the forwards dont lead and our forward 50 entries become far too predictable.

Lyon and co can implememnt all the game plans and structures they want, but if there players cant maintain possession its all for nothing.
Yeah Membrey took some great pack marks but none on the lead by memory.

Ollie Lowe is a good player, very poised & makes good decisions, can play forward or wing.
Looks abit like Cameron Ling?
Maybe too slow for Afl.

I dont think speed is an issue, he (Lowe) is quick enough. I think he is one who has the skills that might translate better at a higher level. The other who I rate as a rookie chance is Will Veseley (didnt play today) he just knows how to find the ball and kick goals. However all the media seem convinced we will take Max Benier with our MSD pick.

I dont think speed is an issue, he (Lowe) is quick enough. I think he is one who has the skills that might translate better at a higher level. The other who I rate as a rookie chance is Will Veseley (didnt play today) he just knows how to find the ball and kick goals. However all the media seem convinced we will take Max Benier with our MSD pick.
Yeah Vesely lays some good tackles too, not sure of his height as a key forward in the Afl.

Keelers opponent today Jefferson kicked 5 goals, he was servicable but not his best game. Shoenmaker started the game slowly but progressed as the game went on. There is no doubt he is a sensational kick but he needs to work on his contested marking and defensive game still.

As I mentioned in the AFL autopsy thread the entire list would benefit in having a marking coach. Its something that needs improvement right across our list. Have a look at our entire coaching group there is not one individual who played as a key marking player or as a ruckman, its an obvious void in the skill set in our coaches. As is forward ball movement and play which was also evident in the Sandringham game. We are really reticent to kick to a leading forward consequently the forwards dont lead and our forward 50 entries become far too predictable.

Lyon and co can implememnt all the game plans and structures they want, but if there players cant maintain possession its all for nothing.

As long as i can remember, except for short periods of time, Saints players have preferred to take the ball after a bounce , rather than getting the mark.
Its slower , giving them time to be tackled, and you don't get paid a mark, so if you did need the free kick you can't.

Good to see Hotton get involved and have a very good game after most of the first quarter saw the two commentating dorks argue over whether or not he was actually playing today.

Looking forward to watching the replay of this. Sounds like it was a good game and a decent brand was played.

Membrey's highlight video is impressive. Good to see him remember he has forward craft and actually use it.

Just from the 15 minute highlights, the style of play is so much better than the AFL team.

No wonder I have been to exactly one AFL game and 3 Sandy games.

we didnt qualify benier. he needed 3 VFL games, only played 2

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree 100% marking is an underrated skill in terms of it being taught but it can be easily imo.

I can go on with reasons when sober but it is very learnable / teachable and it can be done faster than you'd think.

Agree 100% marking is an underrated skill in terms of it being taught but it can be easily imo.

I can go on with reasons when sober but it is very learnable / teachable and it can be done faster than you'd think.

Remember the old commercial, where a young nick riewoldt was taught how to mark by holding his thumbs together?

No, but I can improve anyone's bad marking skills in 30 minutes. They actually should hire me, seriously.
I have the answers. It isn't rocket surgery.

Can't find the add i was looking for, it had a little kid ( playing young nick ) being told how to mark, then had him taking his great marks in AFL.

Found this one though, speccy lessons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I figured out the secret to marking a ball in 5th form at Melbs High School in March 1977 after getting frustrated at kick to kick at lunchtime. I went from not getting near it, let alone holding it - to winning every marking contest I ever competed in again for the rest of my life - in only 15 minutes !

PM me now with your banking details and I will share with you "The secret to marking the ****ing ball" - RTB - I am here for you mate if you need some help.

Last edited:
I figured out the secret to marking a ball in 5th form at Melbs High School after getting frustrated at kick to kick at lunchtime. I went from not getting near it, let alone holding it - to winning every marking contest I ever competed in again for the rest of my life - in only 15 minutes !

PM me now with your banking details and I will share with you "The secret to marking the ****ing ball" - RTB - I am here for you mate if you need some help.
I have a cheque made out to "cash" - is that acceptable, and if so, where do I send it?

I figured out the secret to marking a ball in 5th form at Melbs High School after getting frustrated at kick to kick at lunchtime. I went from not getting near it, let alone holding it - to winning every marking contest I ever competed in again for the rest of my life - in only 15 minutes !

Make a Youtube video...

Mark Every Ball in 15 min : Shocked!!! Secrets!!

Do you wanna know...??
Before I tell ya, make sure to like and subscribe.....
..and click that bell!
Well, let's get stuck into it
Well, I used to suck, so make sure you stick around until the very end of the video
Step One is called 'Catch Me', so make sure you enroll in my new video course..
Step Two is called 'Oh yeah' and use this discount code to purchase goods from my new sponsor..which is...
And Click on my new video, 'Top Five Reasons you Can't Mark for sh&t'

I was a hopeless (and skinny) footballer but had good hands.
I actually did learn to mark in my late 20s, well 27/28 to be precise. And at work. It lasted for a year and then I lost just a few % of confidence and strength, and I was gone..Never to return.

Maybe saving him for our end of year rookie pick if he improves?
My thoughts are they've sopped him from being eligible for MSD to hopefully shoo away Port and Essendon (reported interested), and maybe they're still exploring him for an end of year rookie spot. Guess we'll see whether we take a sandy player or not this week, but none of them scream pick 4 when you consider eveyone that's available

He’s looked great this season, worth keeping
One game where everything went his way and you say he has been great all season , well he had his day in the sun last week and he is back to same old

Make a Youtube video...

Mark Every Ball in 15 min : Shocked!!! Secrets!!

Do you wanna know...??
Before I tell ya, make sure to like and subscribe.....
..and click that bell!
Well, let's get stuck into it
Well, I used to suck, so make sure you stick around until the very end of the video
Step One is called 'Catch Me', so make sure you enroll in my new video course..
Step Two is called 'Oh yeah' and use this discount code to purchase goods from my new sponsor..which is...
And Click on my new video, 'Top Five Reasons you Can't Mark for sh&t'

I was a hopeless (and skinny) footballer but had good hands.
I actually did learn to mark in my late 20s, well 27/28 to be precise. And at work. It lasted for a year and then I lost just a few % of confidence and strength, and I was gone..Never to return.

I have a cheque made out to "cash" - is that acceptable, and if so, where do I send it?
Hello everyone, I've had so many PM's on this and have already boosted my superannuation by thousands in these past few hours. So, enough ...... in the interests of God only knows what, I have decided to now impart my wisdom to all - free of charge - commiserations to the poor suckers that paid, oh well. I'm just sick of replying to PMs and checking my PayPal account. So everyone is now a winner.

"The SECRET to marking the ****ing ball" ..........

To be honest with you I was half pissed when I posted that comment last night but there is some truth to it so I'll try to explain as best I can in this text based format.

Firstly I'm not talking about chest marking here - if someone can't mark the ball on their chest there is no hope and they need to give the game away.

No, what I'm talking about is your hands and to some extent your eyes but mainly your hands.

Body positioning in a marking contest is important and I do have ideas on that but I can't really get into that here. Besides, if you get the hands thing right - and if you can (?) you get your hands to the ball first - it actually doesn't really matter - because you're never going to drop the mark again anyway.

So I was great at getting my hands to the ball but marks wouldn't stick - at best I'd juggle them or just drop them at worst. Here is the secret - you need to train what I call "soft hands / strong hands". What do I mean by that you ask ?

Get the kid you are helping to hold the footy in both hands above their head with a soft grip and you then punch the ball out of their hands, either from the front or from behind - doesn't really matter - then tell them to have a stronger grip on the ball until you can't punch the ball out of their hands.

Start by not punching the ball too hard and gradually increase how hard you try to punch the ball out of their hands.

Then get someone else to throw the ball to them and get them to mark / catch it above their head and you spoil from behind - punching the ball just after they catch it and do this over and over again and then start punching the ball as soon as their hands touch the ball and again - do it over and over again. After not long the penny will drop and they'll get it and I guarantee their marking will significantly improve.

Once again - start by not punching the ball too hard and gradually increase how hard you try to punch the ball out of their hands.

It sounds simple and maybe even a bit stupid but to me it works.

Anyway, hope that explains it and hope you're not too disappointed with my explanation.

Go Saints !!!

Kind Regards, Brian O

Last edited:
SANDRINGHAM
B:
M. Ryan (74), A. Schoenmaker (27), A. McLennan (41)
HB: L. Macnab (66), A. Hastie (24), A. Seaton (50)
C: O. Lowe (59), B. Watson (70), T. Blamires (53)
HF: R. Byrnes (13), C. Sharman (43), H. Hall-Kahan (55)
F: Le. Young (64)*, W. Vesely (73), O. Hotton (37)
R: M. Heath (42), M. Phillipou (34), B. Crouch (15)
INT: L. O'Connell (45), M. Allison (43), M. Hall (46), H. Garcia (34), D. Hipwell (51)
EMG: J. Docking (85), T. O'Leary (60), S. Latreille (67), W. Nish (56)

IN: R. Byrnes, H. Garcia, M. Hall, L. Macnab, M. Ryan, A. Seaton, C. Sharman, W. Vesely, Le. Young
OUT: D. Butler, H. Clark, T. Membrey (AFL), T. Campbell, Z. Jones, B. Paton (AFL emergency), Z. Cordy (knee), I. Keeler (injury), N. Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back