VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Collard being hanged, drawn and quartered in here after a poor game. Did we learn nothing from the King commentary during the week? Maybe give him a bit more time before writing him off completely, you never know what else might be at play, injury or personal.
Commenting on a young kid who basically is just realizing what is to be a professional footballer , is a bit early.
The kid has all the natural ability , he just needs time.
I believe most of these kids need at least a couple years in the system to develop and to mature before the penny drops.

In regard to Collard, suggest we quietly go to the Eagles and Dockers this trade period and auction him off for the best pick offered. He is clearly talented but is doing nothing for the Saints. Need to offload him before his value completely disappears.

100% would be the best way to approach it I think. Quickly, discreetly and retain some value.

I seem to recall Collard being a SoS pick? Credit to SoS for identifying we have an urgent need for a classy small forward, but he mis -read the tea leaves on this one.

Would be interesting to know what Dalrymple’s thoughts on Collard were pre-draft - and what would happen if they were at odds with a SoS pick ? Does Dalrymple get the over-riding say ? You would hope so.

Collard is a bust for the Saints. He probably gets traded to a WA team for a 3rd but I get the feeling he spends a couple of years there - and eventually goes back to the WAFL. Might knuckle down in the WAFL when he is 24 - 25 and realises it’s his last chance to get back to the big time.
Toce

I can understand the Collard home sick situation.
There would be many people me included that would struggle being taken away from family and friends.
I understand it’s a professional environment and if you want to play in the big league you have to put on your big boy pants but it wouldn’t make it any easier.
I feel for Collard and hope he isn’t suffering to much off field.

Why would WCE want collard right now? Unless collard shows some improvement I doubt they'll want someone like that.

All well and good to jettison Gresham but you need to make the pick you get for him count. Right now it's making toce look foolish.
I think it's as simple as he definitely has talent and they'd back themselves in to get the most out of him, physically and mentally. Collard would likely thrive playing in front of the home WA crowd every 2nd week too, if he can improve his attitude and application. Just hope we get a 2nd round pick back and not a junk one.

Why would WCE want collard right now? Unless collard shows some improvement I doubt they'll want someone like that.

All well and good to jettison Gresham but you need to make the pick you get for him count. Right now it's making toce look foolish.

He was always a player who would need some time.
And it wasn't just Toce who rated him.
Here's Twomey.

And it wasn't just Toce and Twomey either.

I think you are making you seem foolish.

I wonder why it happened.
FFS can you stop that rubbish.
They backed our culture and took a very talented kid. It worked for Nas but doesn't seem so for Lance.
There's always a risk and maybe this one hasn't worked. Maybe it will work out. Maybe his bloody dog died.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would be many people me included that would struggle being taken away from family and friends.
I understand it’s a professional environment and if you want to play in the big league you have to put on your big boy pants but it wouldn’t make it any easier.

Is he homesick or did someone here make it up?

Is he homesick or did someone here make it up?
No idea but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is.
Sometimes we forget these are real people with real emotions.
Not everybody’s built the same and for every player that can cope with being away from family and friends there would be players that can’t and I don’t blame them for that.

Yeah, l dunno. I left home at 19 and l wasn't getting $100k+ a year.
It's just different for some indigenous kids. We shouldn't lose sleep over it, if he's not happy then let him go and get the best we possibly can EOS.

He was always a player who would need some time.
And it wasn't just Toce who rated him.
Here's Twomey.

And it wasn't just Toce and Twomey either.

I think you are making you seem foolish.
Twomey can rate him all he likes. He's not a recruiter and he's not making the selections.

It's the recruiters responsibility to find a player who will develop into a long term a grade player.

Toce was let go because he didn't have the body of work to remain in the job. Instead we found a better candidate.

FFS can you stop that rubbish.
They backed our culture and took a very talented kid. It worked for Nas but doesn't seem so for Lance.
There's always a risk and maybe this one hasn't worked. Maybe it will work out. Maybe his bloody dog died.
I think there's still time for lance and I think he makes it.

Don't rate toce though. I think Richmond are about to find that out.

Commenting on a young kid who basically is just realizing what is to be a professional footballer , is a bit early.
The kid has all the natural ability , he just needs time.
I believe most of these kids need at least a couple years in the system to develop and to mature before the penny drops.

I think its more than he is just a kid or maturity thing, he just looks not interested. His body language has been really poor in a number of games but it was worse today than others. He just doesn't look happy to be out there and if the club haven't addressed that with him they are doing the kid a disservice. He is obviously a young man a long way from home and family, but we are kidding ourselves if we think he is going to improve with that attitude.

Collard being criticized rightly for a poor game but some of the BS about his attitude and homesickness is pure speculation and conjecture. It may or may not be true but you would think it was an undisputed fact the way a few carry on.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance.
Mate I was at the game and if he was playing under 12 with that attitude he would be asked not to come back. Something is up

I think there's still time for lance and I think he makes it.

Don't rate toce though. I think Richmond are about to find that out.

I got the impression that Saints were happy to keep him as a recruiter, but he got pissed and left when they wanted to get Dalryple above him.

Sounds like Collard had a shocker but looking at the stats his previous game was half decent for a small forward.

He's a kid a long way from home, let's be patient with him it must be tough, hopefully we can find a way to get him back enjoying his footy and ultimately in the first team where he will hopefully flourish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back