VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Got down there for the 2nd half. Not much to like. Garcia should be playing 1s. He's a pro so would only accelerate his development at the highest level. Persist with Keeler and Moose. Hotton just isn't much good. I like Gus, but he needs to be careful with his use. Lance should not play again. Start his pre season now and teach him professional standards. Better off plucking a punter from the crowd who would at least have a dip instead of him.

In regards to Collard, it was sort of expected that it would go this way right? Fair enough you back yourself as a club to change attitude but the early talk was he would be homesick instantly.

This might be his way of forcing a move.

Plenty of time to turn it around but would want to turn it around next year.

I seem to recall Collard being a SoS pick? Credit to SoS for identifying we have an urgent need for a classy small forward, but he mis -read the tea leaves on this one.

Would be interesting to know what Dalrymple’s thoughts on Collard were pre-draft - and what would happen if they were at odds with a SoS pick ? Does Dalrymple get the over-riding say ? You would hope so.

Collard is a bust for the Saints. He probably gets traded to a WA team for a 3rd but I get the feeling he spends a couple of years there - and eventually goes back to the WAFL. Might knuckle down in the WAFL when he is 24 - 25 and realises it’s his last chance to get back to the big time.

God Collard is frustrating. Clearly has talent but seems very disinterested. We’ll trade him back west for peanuts and he’ll turn into a star. If we’re getting very little this offseason in a potential trade may as well hold him for the 2nd year of his deal and hope like hell the penny drops and he matures and starts trying.

There is no doubt he has huge potential but if he doesnt want to be in Melbourne, there is no point in making him stay. He cost us an end of first round pick # 28 (Gresham compensation), and there were plenty of capable players taken after Lance. A shame really....

Collard being hanged, drawn and quartered in here after a poor game. Did we learn nothing from the King commentary during the week? Maybe give him a bit more time before writing him off completely, you never know what else might be at play, injury or personal.
I'm not for potting a young kid but there has been a lot of these type of performances from Collard. Not just one.

It's definitely concerning at the very least and warranted discussion.

That’s fair and I hope we’re jumping at shadows. I’ve been a huge fan of collards and have defended him many times but I’m struggling to keep defending him. He is so static even on plays when he could easily become an option. Perhaps he’s sick of being burnt by our poor entries. He doesn’t seem like a kid who will respond to tough love. Perhaps they need to try and give him a run off half back and get the ball into his hands.

Riewoldt was burnt by our poor entries for an entire career, he sooked often but ALWAYS worked hard for the team.
He'd want to change his attitude without delay.

I’m at the game and cant stop watching Lance. I’ve never seen worse body language. He doesn’t even try. Quite pathetic
Appears his team mates are getting over him as well. Was standing next to our bench. Can't remember who came off with Collard but they were having a crack at him for walking and doing nothing defensively. Heard a few others comments about him from the bench throughout the game.

Lance, is young and not just age wise, body wise and maturity. Lets not throw the abby out with the bath water.

As Gringo stated, he is leading Sandy's goal kicking. If you think St Kilda struggle to kick in, imagine what Sandy's is like.

Would we like him to get more involved, of course, would it help to get him on the ball a little bit, I think so. Get him chasing after the ball.

I back Ross in to develop him, like he did Sonny Walters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God Collard is frustrating. Clearly has talent but seems very disinterested. We’ll trade him back west for peanuts and he’ll turn into a star. If we’re getting very little this offseason in a potential trade may as well hold him for the 2nd year of his deal and hope like hell the penny drops and he matures and starts trying.
Agree,and put onto rookie list

I seem to recall Collard being a SoS pick? Credit to SoS for identifying we have an urgent need for a classy small forward, but he mis -read the tea leaves on this one.

Would be interesting to know what Dalrymple’s thoughts on Collard were pre-draft - and what would happen if they were at odds with a SoS pick ? Does Dalrymple get the over-riding say ? You would hope so.

Collard is a bust for the Saints. He probably gets traded to a WA team for a 3rd but I get the feeling he spends a couple of years there - and eventually goes back to the WAFL. Might knuckle down in the WAFL when he is 24 - 25 and realises it’s his last chance to get back to the big time.

It wasn't a SOS special.
Collard was always going to be picked around where we got him, some thought he'd be picked sooner.

If we have to take a rookie from Sandringham at years end Will Vesely is the only player on their list that I can see might have an AFL future. I had previously thought Lowe but he has fallen away this season.

I don't see it as much help this year.
If we keep doing it, i hope we see other players thinking " well player XXXX got on an AFL list from playing with Sandringham, and i know i'm better, so i'll see if i can get a gig with the ZEBS".
What the club needs to do is stick with the strategy at least for a few years.

Collard being criticized rightly for a poor game but some of the BS about his attitude and homesickness is pure speculation and conjecture. It may or may not be true but you would think it was an undisputed fact the way a few carry on.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance.
Spot on. People need to deal with facts and not speculation and conjecture.

Collard being hanged, drawn and quartered in here after a poor game. Did we learn nothing from the King commentary during the week? Maybe give him a bit more time before writing him off completely, you never know what else might be at play, injury or personal.
you obviously haven’t watched too many games. He’s been horrible, and deserves some heat.

you obviously haven’t watched too many games. He’s been horrible, and deserves some heat.

I've watched all of the Sandy games, he's our second leading goal scorer.

He's played some good games and had some bad ones.

Overall I would like to see him getting a bit more involved but as a first year player I'm prepared to be patient as we all should.

Won't happen, clubs don't keep players who don't want to be there - it hurts their teammates.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back