Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Cholly was the one low-light last night, unfortunately.

I think you can accept a game when a player isn't sticking his marks, but to consistently lack the endeavor to affect a contest, is really disappointing.
I was fairly critical on him early in the year but on watching him more closely, he just has off games every now and then. I thought his endeavor was quite good last night, things just didn’t go his way

Think he will be fired up next week and watch out after he has a full preseason this summer. Love the way he moves for someone nearly two metres tall, such an athletic freak

I'm not even sure that saying we have less talent than other sides is correct.What we have is the evenst spread of talent in the league.

We might not have a star studded forward line like the Lions or a stacked midfield like the Doggies but across the whole ground we are super even.

In fact I think we are similar to the Cats in a lot of ways, a well coached team that doesn't have many weak points.

Cholly was the one low-light last night, unfortunately.

I think you can accept a game when a player isn't sticking his marks, but to consistently lack the endeavor to affect a contest, is really disappointing.

Curious if you were at the game? He didn’t lack any endeavour in my view - he was constantly creating contests which allowed other forwards to score when the ball went to ground or allowed Calsher to get free. The marks didn’t stick, sure - but outside of that he played his role.

Listening to Derm this morning on crunch time, he thinks we are system based not talent base compared to other teams, which could be worked out over summer by other teams.

Derm is the epitome of the media narrative.

They spent all off season (and He first 2 months of the seasons) saying we have no talent. They will never admit they're wrong, so it has to be system.
It's like the skinner meme "it's not me that's out of touch, it's the children"

To beat the Dogs, you must minimise the influence of Bontempelli - particularly his clearance impact.

Very few AFL mids would be ready willing and able to do that.

That’s why I reckon Nash was in our best handful.

He was the main reason the opposition tried to change their use of their captain and clearly best player by sending him forward for most of that term.

Bevo blinked and we pulled away in the third term.
I thought I saw a whole range of different players on him. They seemed to mix it up every stoppage, maybe so he couldn't settle - a team effort

Reading oppo boards general football threads at 2am last night

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF
The scum board is particularly entertaining.

Derm is the epitome of the media narrative.

They spent all off season (and He first 2 months of the seasons) saying we have no talent. They will never admit they're wrong, so it has to be system.
It's like the skinner meme "it's not me that's out of touch, it's the children"
Love Derm, but he was on the radio barracking for draft picks in the first couple months of the season. Don’t think he has much idea.

I'm not even sure that saying we have less talent than other sides is correct.What we have is the evenst spread of talent in the league.

We might not have a star studded forward line like the Lions or a stacked midfield like the Doggies but across the whole ground we are super even.

In fact I think we are similar to the Cats in a lot of ways, a well coached team that doesn't have many weak points.
Screenshot_20240907-105946.png
Even definitely the theme. But, definitely talented

He had plenty of endeavour - just had a bad day. Moore also had a terrible day at the office. Chol presented even after his corky and when things weren’t working.

Blame him for a lot last night but not trying is something anyone at the game could see is wrong.

Curious if you were at the game? He didn’t lack any endeavour in my view - he was constantly creating contests which allowed other forwards to score when the ball went to ground or allowed Calsher to get free. The marks didn’t stick, sure - but outside of that he played his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Derm this morning on crunch time, he thinks we are system based not talent base compared to other teams, which could be worked out over summer by other teams.
I find that opinion completely disrespectful of the enormous talent on our list. We have an AA hff with another elite hff in croc. We have an anzac day medalist and premiership player (hff) with a heap of talent and a first year who gets close to four shots at goal a game and just kicked 4 goals in his first ever final. This is the most talented small forward group in the comp. Add to that one of the best young kpf in the comp (also a first year) plus chol who is very skilled and lewis who is one of the best co tested marks in the comp plus breust and gunston. That is an extremely talented group.

Then we have will day who is incredible plus newcombe who is quite possible a top 20 player. We also have a top 2 wingman and a top 5 ruck. And that is before you consider we have two young top ten drafted mids playing support roles, alongside worpel and nash. That is dam good talent.

Then you look at our defence. Sicily clearly a star. Weddle the most talented player i have ever seen in a backlone plus scrim who has always shown enourmlus talent and is now an elite player. Among a former AA swuad player and elite for his position. Impey also extremely talented and if not for injruy i think he would have been AA by now. And hardwick has been a premier small defender for years.

And lastly, we are a team with elite running power. This is both a product of athletic talent along with deliberate training to give us an edge over the comp. Weddle, mass, croc, ward, mckenzie, amon, morrison, finn, moore are all elite running talents.

I think what dermie is really describing is not talent but recognition. We are a side yet to earn recognition for our talent level. If we had a household name up forward and another down back of genuine kpp size with high profiles people would be gushing over our talent. I think in time they will. But right now they are under valuing what we have.

Something being glossed over a bit, Sam Frost bullied every key forward that dared go near him. It’s been touched on but he deserves more.

He looked genuinely psychotic at times with his intensity in defending, and his shit talk to the dogs players/bench was brilliantly backed up.

He looked like he was having the time of his life.

‘The enforcer’ Vandemeer went into his shell once Frost called him out on his antics in the first. Frost kept at him every chance he had from the looks of things. Classic.

It’s great to watch our young guys find out just how good they are.

We comfortably have the deepest list at the moment. Every player out there is playing their role. All the other clubs competing are carrying a number of players.

The best thing is this club still has another level or two more in it from what we showed last night.

‘The enforcer’ Vandemeer went into his shell once Frost called him out on his antics in the first. Frost kept at him every chance he had from the looks of things. Classic.
Sam Frost looked and played like an absolute madman last night and I loved every minute of it 😂. He's probably had a career best year IMHO.

Someone should show Frostys game to DGB and say this is how you play with aggression and attitude without giving away stupid free kicks and looking foolish.

Reading oppo boards general football threads at 2am last night

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF
Most of the boards were quite complimentary to the Hawks. Begrudgingly so, but still plenty of praise. Even the * board!
However the Geelong board were their typically sanctimonious, entitled, smug selves. They think that the Hawks/Bulldogs game was at a level lower than their match with Port Adelaide and that the Hawks were lucky they were only playing a lesser side in the Bulldogs. Completely ignoring the fact that Port didn't show up in the second half and Geelong had a glorified training run.

They think they are so successful and superior to all other teams. Geelong have won 4 flags in in the last 60 years which is the same as North Melbourne! Hawthorn have won 12 flags in 60 years. I dislike Geelong even more than I dislike Essendon. I didn't think that was possible.

Derm was an incredibly talented footballer and a Hawthorn legend. He’s an utterly painful commentator.

There’s no ‘working out’ players like Croc, Ginni and Watto. You can figure out our system all you want - those 3 are going to plague opposition defenders for years to come just like Cyril could never be figured out.
It's a pretty stupid comment from Dermie unfortunately.

Geelong are the classic case of being a system team and they still make the preliminary every bloody year 🤣

It's obviously a fusion of system and talent that wins GFs, and I think we have a good mix of both right now.

What a game! What a night, unbelievable to be at.

So many special players and moments, our stars in the making emerged, ward and Morrison stood up to a new level (Morrison is made for finals to).

Sicily, Dear, meek, jai, wizard, ambrossio I thought were our most influential but takes nothing away from the team. Dear is a freak in the making, he knows how to will a moment when the game is in the balance to. Loose one of meek, dear or Sicily and the result tonight is very different.

Hardwick absolutely blanketed weightman, frosty just keeps his high level but the whole unit is first class, something to be said for an undersized backline that can run…

Someone tell chol to use as much grippo as Tom Hawkins, would be a game changer for him.

Just put the game on to rewatch, great Saturday ahead!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back