Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against Carlton he had 20 disposals, 3 tackles, a goal, 4 inside 50's and 4 rebound 50's.
Was the perfect wingers game.

The closest CJ has come to that was the Collingwood game, where he also had 20 touches and 3 inside 50's.

Aside from that, the only thing CJ really has to hang his hat on is his two-way running and 'width holding'.

Harry is a much more stable selection, and also has finals experience. If it's between the two I'm taking Morrison on exposed form.

Yeh I won’t argue that Morrison hasn’t played well, but he obviously gets more of the ball because he is sucked in to contests more often.

‘Width holding’ is our whole game plan to move the ball, and why Sam loves CJ. Creating space and stretching the ground is precisely what makes us so good moving the ball, and is why we’re scoring so heavily. It’s much more important than anyone who doesn’t like CJ would like to admit.

Unless he’s sore, he’ll very likely start on the wing. His performance for BH wasn’t great, but he’s played 2 quarters with them all year and there was no space available all day. He was playing for minutes.

The problem is the last midfield spot, and if Mackenzie is ready to take that role on or we need another mid. If so, Morrison might miss out for Ward or Finn with Mackenzie playing on the wing.

Reckon we go in unchanged - Finn’s disposal is still a problem although I feel he’s improved a little. A part of me still doesn’t trust Morrison in a big physical pressure moment in a final- but I spose if we’re relying on that we don’t deserve to win
Not his role, nobody would be trusting Nash to kick a goal on the run from 45 out either. But Morrison has done it many times in big moments like Collingwood last year.

It would be hard to take Mitchell seriously when he says players need to earn their spots, or that he'd reward form, if he rushes CJ back into the side after a year of poor form and a very underwhelming game at VFL level. Meanwhile Finn, Ward and Serong have all played really well consistently at VFL level.

I also think Morrison is the right choice, but this paragraph is a bit over the top. We don't know the game plan or what Mitchell is expecting from each player and hoping they will accomplish in the game. I'm pretty sure he's serious about winning the game and won't be making selections designed to be less than the best.

I also think Morrison is the right choice, but this paragraph is a bit over the top. We don't know the game plan or what Mitchell is expecting from each player and hoping they will accomplish in the game. I'm pretty sure he's serious about winning the game and won't be making selections designed to be less than the best.

You're right, I'm not suggesting he won't pick a side that he thinks gives us the best chance of winning. But picking CJ over Finn, Ward and Serong would not be done based on their respective form.

Treloar in real doubt apparently.

Would be a huge out.

Need to protect Sicily. They will send West or Harmes to him. West has got under his skin before.

Teams have been trying this all year since the scum in round 1, unless he loses his head under the Friday night lights he’s beaten his opponent every week since.
It was the Dogs Sicily hurt his shoulder playing, and he hurt it shortly after one of his hot-headed rampages; he overcommitted to spoiling with a head full of steam, popped his shoulder and being 1-6, down 2 goals and unsure we’d see Sicily for a long time I was ready to call the season. Needless to say what a turnaround!

I’d almost say Serong allows for less flexibility as he has to be played in defence.

Which unsettles our back line and forces someone else up the ground rather than allowing it to be an option depending on how the games going.

He’d also be a weak point that Dogs will isolate and expose. I can’t see us trialling it in an elimination final.

We’ve won playing a certain way. Why change what’s working?
Serong doesn’t have to be flexible as the guys we have in our backline are flexible and capable of playing other positions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the Dogs Sicily hurt his shoulder playing, and he hurt it shortly after one of his hot-headed rampages; he overcommitted to spoiling with a head full of steam, popped his shoulder and being 1-6, down 2 goals and unsure we’d see Sicily for a long time I was ready to call the season. Needless to say what a turnaround!

And he still won us that game!

And he still won us that game!
Indeed he did!

Pretty sure Sic was a Doggies fan as a kid, which is why I reckon that win and the role he himself played after injuring himself with that early over-exuberance, would've felt so great to him.

A repeat performance, without re-injuring himself, would be most welcome!

Before the 2016 Qualifying final, they predicted 60-80mm for the Friday during the game, Robbo on 360 called it ‘biblical rain’

It never happened, it came the day before, and the day after.

Unless it rains during the 120 minutes of footy, it’ll be a dry game, the ‘G drains that well.

Me too! At that very moment my heart sunk and I thought our season was over. What a turnaround from that moment on.

Be interesting to see what the coaches take out the Crows v Dogs game where a side that we punished by 10 goals then punished the side we are about to meet on Friday by 10 goals a week or 2 later. Must be a lot to take out of that game.

Looking like wet weather on Friday, I'd lean more to Ward over Finn & CJ, could use his cleaner disposals in the wet.

Edit: On second thought, Finn probably is the bigger body, because marking will be tough - maybe just getting it forward and letting the smalls do their work could be a good thing.

I like your first thought with Ward getting the nod over Finn and CJ, I just think his composure and superior disposal efficiency especially in the wet far out ways what the other two are capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back