Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like your first thought with Ward getting the nod over Finn and CJ, I just think his composure and superior disposal efficiency especially in the wet far out ways what the other two are capable of.
Agreed, I think CJ's strength is his speed, but the wet will probably nullify that, so I think it's between Finn & Ward, I'd go Ward

This isn't a jab at David King, believe it or not, but in the preview of our final he mentioned that the dogs midfield bats deep and he listed:
  1. Bont
  2. Libba
  3. Treloar
  4. Richards..
And then said "it just keeps going" because he couldn't think of another decent mid.

It's funny how long these ideas about teams take to die in AFL media, because the Dogs did absolutely have a deep midfield. When you think about recent years they had Bont, Libba, Treloar, Dunkley, Smith and Macrae but that's not them in 2024. Dunkley is gone, Smith is injured, Macrae is out of form - Bont, Liberatore and Treloar are better than most sides at the top end but it definitely doesn't bat as deep as it used to particularly if Treloar doesn't get up.

In that case I reckon they've clearly got 2 of the top 3, but we've got 4 of the next 5.

Serong doesn’t have to be flexible as the guys we have in our backline are flexible and capable of playing other positions!
Flexibility is about having the option to move a player. With Serong playing we weaken our defence and force a better defender up the field.

I’d rather just start with our best defence and if it’s not working we can swing magnets around from our team like we’ve done during the year. We’ve got more flexibility that way as we can swing a player forward if need be but aren’t forced to do it all game.

This isn't a jab at David King, believe it or not, but in the preview of our final he mentioned that the dogs midfield bats deep and he listed:
  1. Bont
  2. Libba
  3. Treloar
  4. Richards..
And then said "it just keeps going" because he couldn't think of another decent mid.

It's funny how long these ideas about teams take to die in AFL media, because the Dogs did absolutely have a deep midfield. When you think about recent years they had Bont, Libba, Treloar, Dunkley, Smith and Macrae but that's not them in 2024. Dunkley is gone, Smith is injured, Macrae is out of form - Bont, Liberatore and Treloar are better than most sides at the top end but it definitely doesn't bat as deep as it used to particularly if Treloar doesn't get up.

In that case I reckon they've clearly got 2 of the top 3, but we've got 4 of the next 5.
I can't wait to read all the outraged posts tonight in the Dogs board version of this thread in response to this post 😂

Seems we can't express any confidence in our team, think we will win, or even suggest that certain features of this match might suit us better without some of their more insecure posters flipping out and claiming we're all arrogant and overconfident.

I can't wait to read all the outraged posts tonight in the Dogs board version of this thread in response to this post 😂

Seems we can't express any confidence in our team, think we will win, or even suggest that certain features of this match might suit us better without some of their more insecure posters flipping out and claiming we're all arrogant and overconfident.
The strange part is that it's not even a criticism, we've just got a more even spread of contributors - doesn't even feel like a cocky stance to take.

If we assume Treloar doesn't play the top 5 mids from both teams would be:

Bont
Newcombe
Richards
Liberatore
Worpel

But after that I'm taking Mass, Nash, McKenzie and some cameos from Moore clearly ahead of their next best in Bailey Williams. You'd think it's enough for them to have the best player in the league, honestly.

Before the 2016 Qualifying final, they predicted 60-80mm for the Friday during the game, Robbo on 360 called it ‘biblical rain’

It never happened, it came the day before, and the day after.

Unless it rains during the 120 minutes of footy, it’ll be a dry game, the ‘G drains that well.
I’d love a doco on their drainage it is witchcraft

1. Bont
  2. Libba
  3. Treloar
  4. Richards..

Bevo doesn't even use Macrae as a midfielder anymore, surprisingly. I'm sure if he did then he would still be capable of wracking up good numbers. Smith is not available either, which really leaves those four you've highlighted. It drops away after that.

It will be interesting to see what Bevo does if Treloar misses. It seems that Gallagher has been getting a few CBA's over the last few weeks, even with Macrae in the side, so maybe he gets to play a larger role.

Prior to that it was Garcia who got those CBA's, but Adelaide pounded them and he hasn't played the last few games.

Bevo doesn't even use Macrae as a midfielder anymore, surprisingly. I'm sure if he did then he would still be capable of wracking up good numbers. Smith is not available either, which really leaves those four you've highlighted. It drops away after that.

It will be interesting to see what Bevo does if Treloar misses. It seems that Gallagher has been getting a few CBA's over the last few weeks, even with Macrae in the side, so maybe he gets to play a larger role.

Prior to that it was Garcia who got those CBA's, but Adelaide pounded them and he hasn't played the last few games.
This is the point where we can get them. We've got really solid continuity when it comes to players and their roles, even when the Dogs are playing well Bevo can't really leave things alone.

If we can match it with Bont and Liberatore out of the middle I reckon we can get them on the spread, the challenge is that Liberatore loves a clearance against us and Bont is so hard to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The strange part is that it's not even a criticism, we've just got a more even spread of contributors - doesn't even feel like a cocky stance to take.

If we assume Treloar doesn't play the top 5 mids from both teams would be:

Bont
Newcombe
Richards
Liberatore
Worpel

But after that I'm taking Mass, Nash, McKenzie and some cameos from Moore clearly ahead of their next best in Bailey Williams. You'd think it's enough for them to have the best player in the league, honestly.
It doesn't have to be a criticism. Just statements of objective facts like "Hawthorn have played more games in the elements" and "Hawthorn have played in front of bigger crowds this season" have been enough to set some of them off.

Seriously though, you raise a good point. I actually mentioned the other day that their midfield bats deep, but looking closer it really is just a 4 man show in Bont, Richards, Libba and Treloar. But man, what a show.

By player rating for both teams:

1725258437530.png

And over 5 past matches:

1725258458051.png

26 degrees with late rain scheduled Friday.
Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

1. Bont
  2. Libba
  3. Treloar
  4. Richards..

I heard it and to be honest I totally agreed with him ( then I stuck a fork in my eyeball as penance)

But thinking about it , it's a good argument that we bat as deep ...............Cue Bulldogs lurkers having a sook.
I think the notion of them having this super deep midfield comes because of how good Bont is .
The guy is a star and has the absolute quality of making everyone around him better also . On the look and performance wise .
I also think Dale gets thrown as a mid rather then as a HBF rebounder .

King has been on the Doggies for ages yet has this a coin flip .

No change to the team
Game v North was arguably the best 4 quarter performance for the year and no one put their hand up in the ressies

Time to put our finals game style to the test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back