Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fit CJ is 100% best 22. I question whether he is fully fit though.

I don't think it's as much a fit CJ as a confident CJ. The nerves and fumbles this year aren't like that breakout season he had a few years back. If he can get back to that level of output then, yes, he's absolutely one of the first picked.

Just remember, if we lose tomorrow, it'll be hugely disappointing, but we've already massively exceeded expectations this year. And we most likely have two of the best defenders in the comp joining us next year.

The future looks extraordinarily bright.
As a fan yes I agree but I'm not so sure guys like Sic, Gunners + Breust will be thinking like this. They will want to strike while the iron is hot especially with the premiership so open.

I spent a fair bit of this week trawling through the preseason / training threads and the early part of the hypothetical trade thread and it's funny how early on how everyone was all doom and gloom to where we are now. As you say no matter what this season has been a huge success on and off the field and almost all players outside of a few have improved either a little or a ridiculous amount.

The list team pretty much nailed it with all our most recent acquisitions and the clubs culture hasn't been in a better place than who knows how long. Everyone has either fallen in love with or is or envious of the club wether it be media, oppo players and even fans from clubs like the Cats, Pies and * to name a few.

What a ride this season has been but there's 4 more chapters to the story to go with the first one this Friday night at the G.

Getting excited for tomorrow night's game! Finding it hard to knuckle down and work ... (problem with being a freelancer!)

My two bob's worth. Ward in for Mackenzie, no other changes. Has the skills and endurance. Like for like. Sometimes, for a person who actually has the skills but is holding back, a bigger challenge is almost easier, in terms of the psychology. The team needs him to attack the ball and throw everything at this game. I reckon it could be the making of him. I know there's a possibly valid view that this is highly optimistic but I'm backing him.

Absolutely devastating but Josh Ward here is your opportunity. Make a name for yourself young man.
Devastating is a little too pessimistic. I hope Ward can come in and play at a very similar level to Frenchie. If we progress, Cam may yet play depending on the severity of the strain.

Seriously getting over all of the CJ hecklers. It should be clear to all that he was one of the first players identified by Sam as a best 22 player for him. I think a lot of people need to stop putting all of their footy analysis into the stat sheet and start grasping a feel for the game.
I think people are warranted to have concerns over CJ being selected, especially as a lot of people, like myself, don’t have the inside info that some do that helps form opinions.

I love CJ and what he brings when fit but my opinion would be that a player like Finn or Ward who have had a whole season of games is probably a more suitable and less risky selection for an elimination final. CJ has played one VFL match in however many weeks and honestly didn’t show much that suggests he should be in the team. I think the majority of ‘CJ hecklers’ as you put it are just concerned.

I’ve also said previously that there are people that are way more qualified than I (der) to make a call on selection so which ever way it goes we just gotta have trust and hurriedly delete posts so as to not cop any ‘I told you so’s’ and continue the streak of never being wrong. Ever.

Best guess ahead of tonight's team selection. Thought it would be interesting to compare changes since the last time we played.

Some general thoughts:
  • I think Ward should come in for Mackenzie, CJ being the unlucky one to miss given we need extra midfield coverage
  • Wiz and Dear have gained valuable experience since round 8 and their improvement will be for all to see tomorrow night
  • Amon's recent form has gone under the radar a bit, his ball use coming off half back and even inside 50 has been incredible
  • Newc is running hot at the moment and I cannot wait to see what he is made of under the heat of an elimination final. I reckon he is going to have a standout performance
  • Mass has really learnt our structures and played his role better as the season has gone on
  • Impey's drive and ability to negate dangerous oppo smalls has been elite. He's also not afraid to be the third man up to help the talls when there's a contested situation
  • Meek's confidence has grown and he should trouble English tomorrow as long as he plays to his physical attributes
  • Gunston's radar was off earlier this year but he has been razor sharp of late
  • Chol and Lobb's addition to both teams almost cancels each other out
  • Richards has been a great find for the Bulldogs this season and will test our mids now that Mackenzie is ruled out
  • Dale has been playing good footy as the season has gone on, I think Maginness is going to be a perfect match-up for him. Hopefully Maginness can get dangerous and pinch 1-2 goals for us as well
  • Weightman has been in form but Hardwick play him really well so I don't think he will cause too many headaches
  • Treloar has been in hot form but the calf niggle will hopefully trouble him
  • Libba copped a few headknocks the last time we played and was a bit of a non-factor
  • Darcy and JUH have played some good games for the Bulldogs but if we can limit the amount of clean ball, I think our run and transition out of D50 is going to cause headaches
  • Hokball was not even a thing back in Round 8 but you could see some signs of how Mitchell wanted us to play

Screenshot 2024-09-05 111352.png

As a fan yes I agree but I'm not so sure guys like Sic, Gunners + Breust will be thinking like this. They will want to strike while the iron is hot especially with the premiership so open.

I spent a fair bit of this week trawling through the preseason / training threads and the early part of the hypothetical trade thread and it's funny how early on how everyone was all doom and gloom to where we are now. As you say no matter what this season has been a huge success on and off the field and almost all players outside of a few have improved either a little or a ridiculous amount.

The list team pretty much nailed it with all our most recent acquisitions and the clubs culture hasn't been in a better place than who knows how long. Everyone has either fallen in love with or is or envious of the club wether it be media, oppo players and even fans from clubs like the Cats, Pies and * to name a few.

What a ride this season has been but there's 4 more chapters to the story to go with the first one this Friday night at the G.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe we can win. If we manage to limit supply to their tall forwards to a reasonable extent, we will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s fine, but he’s clearly not an option as a centre bounce mid - according to our coaches who have not let him in there at all.

Finn got the clearances often but almost never retained possession, which puts us out of position when he turns it over.

I don’t mind if he plays, but anyone thinking it will be as a mid in any way other than tagging haven’t been paying attention to the last 5 months of our midfield.
Agree, doesn't seem to be must trust in Finn in the centre. Even when tagging Clayton Oliver last year he started on a flank then went in. Whereas in the VFL he's in there as a ball winner, then AFL not in there even when tagging someone who is.

He hasn't tagged really this year besides a quarter here or there.

Exactly, the right to play finals doesn't come often. You got to be lucky to play in the right team structure, get lucky with some games. Players would be fools to feel satisfied and sit on their hands.
Quite a few non-hawks fan have raised the point of if getting Barrass+Battle will kill the motivation of existing defenders and I can't see how. Can Frost or Impey dream of getting another chance to shine in a finals + doing well means their next contract will have 50 or 100k extra. Win a flag and earnings spread over lifetime.

History is littered with so many talented players never playing finals, let alone winning one.
So don't think any Hawks player is going to let go of the chance to pinch a flag ahead of schedule ( like 2008) and thinking there is next year.

I don't think he fully trusts his body to run at full speed at the moment (understandable given all his soft tissue injuries). That's a problem though for a player whose main asset is how quick he is.

He also seems to have lost confidence in the air. Back in 2021/2022 he was great in the air but I really struggle to recall him taking many strong contested marks this year.

Ive always thought being a strong mark is a gr at asset to have as a winger, Ricky Henderson was a great mark when he was killing it on the wing for us.

CJ is still covering the kms on the field which is good for our overall gamestyle but let's face it he is really out of form in the traditional aspects of the game (getting the ball, disposing of the ball, marking the ball). Thats not only based on stats but the old fashioned eye test from watching him play.

I like CJ, but while he is good running to positions quickly, Morrison has a knack of being there already.

Interesting idea, just feel we’d have used him in that role prior to finals if it was on the cards. He is definitely their most important ball user from the back half.

Back flankers that run off our forwards are fantastic for us usually though. Saad, Maynard, Rioli, Fisher..

Teams can’t cover our 4 spreading smalls if one of their two small/quick defenders is out of position all the time. We’ve flogged every team that has unaccountable half backs.
Well thanks then for spreading this news to our opponents.

I know I’m far from the most optimistic poster on here still I can’t believe the posts on here already consoling themselves and already patting the boys on the back before the games even begun.

Finals don’t come around every year and there is no guarantee we will make it next year. All those “meaningless” late season wins have been for this moment. When we make finals and fight tooth and nail to get over the line.

I just hope such thoughts don’t creep into our playing list.

If we lose this finals season that’s the time to console ourselves and look at our season as a whole.

I know I’m far from the most optimistic poster on here still I can’t believe the posts on here already consoling themselves and already patting the boys on the back before the games even begun.

Finals don’t come around every year and there is no guarantee we will make it next year. All those “meaningless” late season wins have been for this moment. When we make finals and fight tooth and nail to get over the line.

I just hope such thoughts don’t creep into our playing list.

If we lose this finals season that’s the time to console ourselves and look at our season as a whole.

I think the mods are just trying to temper the chicken littles who are saying we are doomed due to Day and Mackenzie being out.

Will Finn tag Bramble, and kick goals on him as well?

Pretty handy matchup to kill their run from D50 - has the stamina, pace, size, strength and marking to trouble him in both directions.

There are bigger fish to fry in the midfield maybe. But I wonder what no Bramble coming out of the backline would do to their game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back