Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sam wants his run and he is fit. He will get it.
We're already brimming with run. Borderline over-flowing with run

We also need clean ball-handling and decision-making to keep our ball movement fluent. Not everyone needs to burst away.

In that area, Morrison has runs on the board. If CJ was fully fit, with some exposed form, there is no doubt he is a more dynamic player. But form has to count.

That game was hard for wingers. CJ started on the other side of the ground and therefore didn't see any ball really in the first qtr had run to the other side of the ground to get a kick. That game reminded me a lot of the Geelong game with willi's contested marking around the ground. It's a weakness at AFL level it's how Richmond got back in the game against us. Short kicks then kick down the line to contest where they take a mark.

It's something we may need to plan for. It is our weakness

We're already brimming with run. Borderline over-flowing with run

We also need clean ball-handling and decision-making to keep our ball movement fluent. Not everyone needs to burst away.

In that area, Morrison has runs on the board. If CJ was fully fit, with some exposed form, there is no doubt he is a more dynamic player. But form has to count.
I didn't say drop Morrison.

I think it's Finn or CJ.

If that's the case, a lay down misere for Finn ahead of CJ as well. On today's form.

You HAVE to respond to form.
We'll see. I don't know which way Sam will go.
He played CJ every chance he got when he was fit. I'm not sure I'd play him off one game.

Last edited:
I want Ward to succeed, but he doesn’t tackle hard enough for the way our midfield plays at AFL. A number of players slipped through his tackles today.

I feel as if Sam has a specific type of player as an inside mid and Ward ain’t it. He could definitely succeed in a number of other teams though, playing a Merrett like role.

I want Ward to succeed, but he doesn’t tackle hard enough for the way our midfield plays at AFL. A number of players slipped through his tackles today.

I feel as if Sam has a specific type of player as an inside mid and Ward ain’t it. He could definitely succeed in a number of other teams though, playing a Merrett like role.
Uncompromising comes to mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see Darcy causing us some issues with his contested marking. Especially around the wings.
Not overly concerned about Darcy. He beat up on the worst defence in the comp a few weeks ago with 7 goals, haven’t seen him tear a game apart yet and we’ll exploit him the other way
Naughton is a bigger concern.

If that's the case, a lay down misere for Finn ahead of CJ as well. On today's form.

You HAVE to respond to form.
I think it is what satan1 posted - if Hawks are going to tag it is Finn. If not it is someone else - could be CJ or Ward.

If the Hawks are going to tag Dale then get Finn to do the job. I am not as keen with Finn in the centre square set up though - his disposal breaks down all flow.

Agreed CJ wasn't a real contributor, but his game to day may have just been about getting a run and getting through ok.
Only issue with that is he is hasn't been able to hit top gear with his running so they couldn't select him. He didn't show he could hit top gear today either

Terrible comparison, not just for the comparison of players but more the comparison of sports. The QB has about 10x the impact on a team than any single AFL player does.

Not trying to stack on but holy crap that is a weird comparison. If probably any 20-25 teams lose their QB1 their chances of winning a game drastically dwindle, it's incomparable to AFL.

The one we don't wanna lose wears #6 for us. We've been average without him this year. Day we can cover.

Not overly concerned about Darcy. He beat up on the worst defence in the comp a few weeks ago with 7 goals, haven’t seen him tear a game apart yet and we’ll exploit him the other way
Naughton is a bigger concern.
Its more the bail out kick I'm worries about. Is second only to Hogan in contested marks for the year. Territory is everything in 2024.

That game was hard for wingers. CJ started on the other side of the ground and therefore didn't see any ball really in the first qtr had run to the other side of the ground to get a kick. That game reminded me a lot of the Geelong game with willi's contested marking around the ground. It's a weakness at AFL level it's how Richmond got back in the game against us. Short kicks then kick down the line to contest where they take a mark.

It's something we may need to plan for. It is our weakness

I don't really see how this could be a weakness for us though, Fox carried on about it during the Richmond game too. No team is going to take 10/10 marks down the line marks against us, and our rebound out of these in dispute along with our ground ball after centre bounce numbers mean that if they don't mark it their in a fair bit of trouble.

I added it and 2021. They also lost the 2021 GF there which isn’t listed for some reason when I filter the results. It says on Wikipedia that the 2021 EF v essendon was played in Launceston. Can that be right? Seems odd.

I tried to block out a lot from that time period as well, but that finals series sticks in the mind.

Two finals in Tassie.

The Dogs destroying Port Adelaide in the preliminary final unexpectedly.

The 'week off' came before the Grand Final, as opposed to after the regular season.

Twilight (in WA time) Grand Final in Perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back