Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't really see how this could be a weakness for us though, Fox carried on about it during the Richmond game too. No team is going to take 10/10 marks down the line marks against us, and our rebound out of these in dispute along with our ground ball after centre bounce numbers mean that if they don't mark it their in a fair bit of trouble.
Teams that have marking ability really trouble us. We get around that by controlling the ball. Against the better teams u won't be able to do that all game there will be periods of the game where the opposition have their time in the sun.

It's a current weakness but we are in the infancy of our climb to the top. We r improving after every game

Serong easily the best healthy player who currently isn’t in our top side, don’t think he comes in though.

Only way I see CJ in is if Sam wants his ability to run back to help with the dogs talk forwards.

Finn hasn’t really tagged this year has he? Think it goes against our all out attack mindset Sam wants.

I think we’ll see CJ in for Finn.

I'm sure CJ just needed to get through today but if was terrible ( didn't watch it), it would be hard for Sam to justify bringing him in even if he is one of his favourites.

Would prefer Finn over Ward. I'm probably going to get some flack for this but Ward to me so far seems like a very vanilla player with average disposal and not a huge defensive side. Every club would have a few.
Finn's disposal might not be wonderful but he can tag if necessary offering more flexibility and from all accounts was best in for BHH today so he would be my pick.

If we win, then he probably comes out for Day the week after assuming he's fit

Finn will come in you would think, with Ward to only other with a chance going on the Box Hill game.

For all those who post every now and again with “Is Chad a sneaky chance” the guy is cooked and burnt to a crisp, think Ben Stratton’s last few games kind of cooked.

If I was picking the team I would bring in Finn to tag Libba, Nash to run with Bont.
😂 at least we know which posters scrape the burnt toast with the butter knife rather than just throw it out and use a fresh slice of bread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m reminded of schoey s unremarkable game ar box hill the week before 2015 seniors GF
Schoenmakers played the last 3 AFL finals of 2015

I'm sure CJ just needed to get through today but if was terrible ( didn't watch it), it would be hard for Sam to justify bringing him in even if he is one of his favourites.

Would prefer Finn over Ward. I'm probably going to get some flack for this but Ward to me so far seems like a very vanilla player with average disposal and not a huge defensive side. Every club would have a few.
Finn's disposal might not be wonderful but he can tag if necessary offering more flexibility and from all accounts was best in for BHH today so he would be my pick.

If we win, then he probably comes out for Day the week after assuming he's fit
CJ was horrible. Truly horrible. Got caught holding the ball twice due to hesitancy. Only had a couple of other touches. Maginness worked hard but disposal was poor. Ward was workmanlike. I would go with Ward.

It’s a tough one. Maginness has the hardness and sticks his tackles,
Just the disposal is sooo poor. In the wet, I’d go with him. Would bring everyone else back to his level but his fitness and hardness is superior to most players. Ward, there is something there but his lack of toughness and ability to stick a tackle would be more damaging in a final. Maginness for me. Ward from next year onwards. CJ prob 4th in line behind Sering after what I watched today, and to be fair all year really.

Schoenmakers played the last 3 AFL finals of 2015
He also earnt his call up playing for Box Hill vs Footscray in their first Final according to the stats I just digged up.

16 kicks, 8 handballs, 8 marks, 1 Goal 1 Behind

Carried that form into the rest of the Finals and ultimately the GF where he had probably his best game all year with a season high 21 disposals.

On a side note, was very happy for him that he finally got himself a premiership. Was much maligned throughout his career largely because I believe Clarko played him out of position and tried turning him into something he wasn't, a defender. I believe it was no co-incidence that when he was finally swung forward he started having a greater impact culminating in a great finals series.

The issue I have is that at some point, form needs to be rewarded.

Morrison has played better games since returning to the side than Jiath was in the same position.

Then yesterday CJ looked poor while Maginness went full beast mode. Ward was also excellent.

I can't justify bringing CJ back in when there are better performing players, even if they lack his athleticism.

I’d be selecting Morrison, Jiath didn’t perform well enough, no continuity recently and Morrison performing well, no brainer.

- 8 disposals

Maginness was good in the VFL but used it poorly, has the potential to play multiple roles and tag.

- 30 disposals , 1 goal , 19 kicks , 5 tackles , 8 clearances , 5 inside 50s , 50% DE

Ward was also good in the VFL, used it really well and we know his impact and damage he can create, would be a big chance to come in and play more midfield time with Day out also.

- 26 disposals , 17 kicks , 7 marks , 5 tackles , 5 clearances , 6 inside 50s , 77% DE

Serong won’t play but god he was unreal yesterday, been huge in the VFL for a while now.

In - Ward
Out - Maginness

Hardwick - Frost - Sicily
Weddle - Scrimshaw - Amon
Morrison - Ward - D’Ambrosio
Moore - Chol - MacDonald
Ginnivan - Dear - Watson
Meek - Newcombe - Worpel
Gunston - Nash - Mackenzie - Impey - Breust (sub)

Last edited:
Unchanged line-up. Morrison is the in-form, obvious choice.
Agreed.

FWIW - in Rd 24 Finn Maginness played 79% game time for 19 disposals, 6 tackles and 390 metres gained (7th in the side on the day).

He just played a VFL game he qualified for and was in our best 3 players.

Guy is fit, in form and already in the side.

The Dogs midfield are big hard mature bodies (Bont, McCrae, Libba, Treloar, Richards).

We need big units who can run.

It’s a no brainer for mine.

CJ - not fit or in form, Ward would be much closer to selection but just stays out as his game wasn’t miles ahead of Finn’s (which it would have needed to be for there to be a swap).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back