Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a tough one. Maginness has the hardness and sticks his tackles,
Just the disposal is sooo poor. In the wet, I’d go with him. Would bring everyone else back to his level but his fitness and hardness is superior to most players. Ward, there is something there but his lack of toughness and ability to stick a tackle would be more damaging in a final. Maginness for me. Ward from next year onwards. CJ prob 4th in line behind Sering after what I watched today, and to be fair all year really.
A fair summary - except that CJ, fit and in form, has a lot to offer.

On a wet track I would stick with Maginness. On a dry track both Ward and CJ get serious consideration.

A fair summary - except that CJ, fit and in form, has a lot to offer.

On a wet track I would stick with Maginness. On a dry track both Ward and CJ get serious consideration.
I probably agree, but CJ hasn't really been fit or in form all year. Apart from a couple of goals he has not set the world on fire when in the AFL side. Sam must reward performance IMO. That means most likely Fin stays, but then Ward or Serong next in line.

IMO we shine in the rain. Against Pies and Norf we just went to work. Several media 'experts' have said wet weather favours the dogs, personally I don't get it
:think:
Who has said that? We have the best cohort of small forwards in the comp and our weakness is defending against marking forwards, which the Dogs have. That weakness is mitigated in the wet. The dogs are obviously a much older side but we don’t lack for strong bodies in the midfield. All of Meek, Newk, Worpel and Nash are strong and suited to a scrap. Plus the dogs play much of their footy indoors. Wet weather would massively suit us.

He also earnt his call up playing for Box Hill vs Footscray in their first Final according to the stats I just digged up.

16 kicks, 8 handballs, 8 marks, 1 Goal 1 Behind

Carried that form into the rest of the Finals and ultimately the GF where he had probably his best game all year with a season high 21 disposals.

On a side note, was very happy for him that he finally got himself a premiership. Was much maligned throughout his career largely because I believe Clarko played him out of position and tried turning him into something he wasn't, a defender. I believe it was no co-incidence that when he was finally swung forward he started having a greater impact culminating in a great finals series.

I was there, though obviously didn’t remember every detail

I do remember bigfooty didn’t really think he was worth a recall. He was there to prove his fitness to run out a game.

But we were all happy with him come seasons end

I probably agree, but CJ hasn't really been fit or in form all year. Apart from a couple of goals he has not set the world on fire when in the AFL side. Sam must reward performance IMO. That means most likely Fin stays, but then Ward or Serong next in line.
I agree that CJ’s form with the ball has been pretty poor all year. His contribution without the ball will be factored in though. I spoke to someone from Collingwood’s recruitment team last week who commented on how valuable CJ’s two way running is to the way we play. I still reckon he will be selected in place of Finn.

Reckon we'd be negligent to play CJ with his current calf issues and lack of form, when Harry Morrison is capable of greater, or a more reliable, output.

If CJ pulls up OK from the game he is huge chance to play on Friday. His athletic profile and defensive running are key. Morrison is great defensively but can get caught out with speed. Something he will never overcome. He is great foot soldier. Finn goes out for CJ because of CJs ability in the air. It's a close call but I reckon Sam leans that way

If CJ pulls up OK from the game he is huge chance to play on Friday. His athletic profile and defensive running are key. Morrison is great defensively but can get caught out with speed. Something he will never overcome. He is great foot soldier. Finn goes out for CJ because of CJs ability in the air. It's a close call but I reckon Sam leans that way
I'd be staggered with that change to be honest.
Time will tell.

The issue I have is that at some point, form needs to be rewarded.

Morrison has played better games since returning to the side than Jiath was in the same position.

Then yesterday CJ looked poor while Maginness went full beast mode. Ward was also excellent.

I can't justify bringing CJ back in when there are better performing players, even if they lack his athleticism.
and form means confidence - which is vital for a young side playing in a final - a player (and team) in form playing with confidence is less hesitant and doesn't second guess himself.... therefore less likely to get caught or in trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure who will go out from Morrison and Maginness but I’m fairly sure CJ will come back in.

He was only ever out due to injury, not form. So I’m not convinced his run at BHH required him to do much more than prove his fitness to get through.

It was a very scrappy game and hard for an outside player to perform well. I think CJ plays better with the familiarity and cleaner skills of the Hawthorn side.

I agree that CJ’s form with the ball has been pretty poor all year. His contribution without the ball will be factored in though. I spoke to someone from Collingwood’s recruitment team last week who commented on how valuable CJ’s two way running is to the way we play. I still reckon he will be selected in place of Finn.
Morrison gets to where he needs to be and his disposal is generally good.

Who has said that? We have the best cohort of small forwards in the comp and our weakness is defending against marking forwards, which the Dogs have. That weakness is mitigated in the wet. The dogs are obviously a much older side but we don’t lack for strong bodies in the midfield. All of Meek, Newk, Worpel and Nash are strong and suited to a scrap. Plus the dogs play much of their footy indoors. Wet weather would massively suit us.
Sorry I can't recall (I sound like a politician) whether it was the Whateley podcast or one of the TV shows. If it comes back to me I will post.

I don't think you can justify CJ's selection ahead of Morrison or Finn after that game at Box Hill.

Next year he will be a 100% walk up start but even though he completed the game he looked hampered by that calf and unable to provide his usual run. I only remember two moments in the game where he did, and he was caught HTB in one due to lacking awareness. When he came back through Box Hill previously, he had a massive game where he dominated.

Defensive running is good but I'm not sure I want a ~10 disposal player without his usual dash in a cutthroat final. This is ignoring the lack of composure CJ can have.

Many good players have been left out of our side this year due to the strong performances of others. And while I love CJ, I hope it continues here.

He also earnt his call up playing for Box Hill vs Footscray in their first Final according to the stats I just digged up.

16 kicks, 8 handballs, 8 marks, 1 Goal 1 Behind

Carried that form into the rest of the Finals and ultimately the GF where he had probably his best game all year with a season high 21 disposals.

On a side note, was very happy for him that he finally got himself a premiership. Was much maligned throughout his career largely because I believe Clarko played him out of position and tried turning him into something he wasn't, a defender. I believe it was no co-incidence that when he was finally swung forward he started having a greater impact culminating in a great finals series.
I'll die on the hill that Schoe was turning into a very good defender at the start of 2013 until he did his knee.

Well you’ve already confused the scenario from the get go so ¯\(ツ)
Remember that time Brian Lake couldn't get a game all year, and then we played him in the GF, even though everyone on Bigfooty said we shouldn't, and he ended up winning a Norm Smith?

No?

Me either!

I’m sticking with Serong in for Finn. Serong allows for more versatility across the park. Allows for another taller defender (remembering he is now 215cm) if the Dogs’ forwards are getting off the leash. Can also allow Weddle to roam the ground and Sicily to play more of his intercepting and rebounding role. Additionally it might allow Hardwick to swing forward and create further headaches up front if it’s a wet night. Hardwick swinging forward could also allow Watson and Ginni to have relieve in midfield rotations being that we haven’t selected another mid.

Serong has been in form at VFL level for some time - time to let him prove himself on the big stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back