News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's young talent. it's having players available.

We had Butler and Snags missing and a decimated midfield. Then guys like Wood and Sinclair injured early on too. We should expect to be a side between 5 and 12 on the ladder. Lyon gets a let off this year due to injury but he'd want to bounce back up next year.

It's pretty incredible how quickly plenty on here just accept that we are a bottom 4 side among the absolute bottom out sides and still blow Lyon's trumpet like he should be unassailable.
I'd also add Websters suspension set us back on field and had an effect mentally our 2 practice gams we looked unbeatable that all changed after Webster clocked Simpkin that game changed mid 3rd Qt & Dougals hamstring coupled with poor pre-seasons from KIng & Crouch.

I don't think it's young talent. it's having players available.

We had Butler and Snags missing and a decimated midfield. Then guys like Wood and Sinclair injured early on too. We should expect to be a side between 5 and 12 on the ladder. Lyon gets a let off this year due to injury but he'd want to bounce back up next year.

It's pretty incredible how quickly plenty on here just accept that we are a bottom 4 side among the absolute bottom out sides and still blow Lyon's trumpet like he should be unassailable.
I don’t think many think we are a bottom 4 side generally.
But certainly we’re not a top 4 side.

A bottom 4 side this year…well the ladder doesn’t lie.
We know where the list needs improvement.
But, as stated, Crouch out for the season and absences of Webster and King for a large chunk of it, then Higgins (what a crock that was), Wood, Doug and Sinclair, and of course Henry. Any side would struggle with those outs.

But because we’re not top 4 and we still need a fair amount of list improvement, the silver lining of these injuries is a high draft pick.
I think we’ll have quite a big jump up the ladder next year.

I don’t think many think we are a bottom 4 side generally.
But certainly we’re not a top 4 side.

A bottom 4 side this year…well the ladder doesn’t lie.
We know where the list needs improvement.
But, as stated, Crouch out for the season and absences of Webster and King for a large chunk of it, then Higgins (what a crock that was), Wood, Doug and Sinclair, and of course Henry. Any side would struggle with those outs.

But because we’re not top 4 and we still need a fair amount of list improvement, the silver lining of these injuries is a high draft pick.
I think we’ll have quite a big jump up the ladder next year.

I think Crouch out for nearly all the season has been a huge factor. If he retires and we can't find a suitable replacement we might stay significantly behind where we were last year.

I think Crouch out for nearly all the season has been a huge factor. If he retires and we can't find a suitable replacement we might stay significantly behind where we were last year.

If Phillipou comes on it might be that silver lining that injury often has.

Don’t forget we have the player who many considered to be the best in the VFL in Max Hall. Hasn’t played an AFL game, didn’t shine in the few VFL games he played for Sandy (was concentrating on learning the game plan) and is currently in rehab with a back. Similar size and style to Crouch, and an inside mid. Get his back right and give him a full pre season and there you are, a suitable replacement.

Don’t forget we have the player who many considered to be the best in the VFL in Max Hall. Hasn’t played an AFL game, didn’t shine in the few VFL games he played for Sandy (was concentrating on learning the game plan) and is currently in rehab with a back. Similar size and style to Crouch, and an inside mid. Get his back right and give him a full pre season and there you are, a suitable replacement.
I think we need to work out whether he’s actually any good first before locking him in to replace Crouch. Very unlikely that he’s going to come straight in and be one of the best ball winners in the AFL.

I think people forget how good Crouch was/is. He pretty much carried our midfield to the finals last year. Even this year he could hardly run and he would still rack up high 30s in the VFL.

Sadly the only player we have close to being able to replace his output is Steele. We've been able to fling around magnets and at the moment it seems to be working a bit better but it's extremely unlikely Max Hall will ever come close to matching Crouch's output.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you haven't watched the replay a few times by now, you're doing it all wrong!

Time to run through the latest St Kilda news including the big win over Essendon and lazy nonsensical 'reporting' about Jack Steele.

im sure we have seen this article from SEN 10 days ago before the westcoast match

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07...tchable-as-ex-coach-questions-lyons-outdated/

but is his coaching outdated ?

This is funny now.
Twatters said if you kick 10 to 12 goals its enough to beat the Saints.
When he said it :
North had already kicked 10 and lost.
Collingwood had kicked 12 and lost.
GWS had won with 11 despite StKilda kicking 12.
North again, kicked 10, and 12 wouldn't have been enough against StKilda's 15.
West Coast had aleady kicked 10 against StKilda and lost ( StKilda 12 ).
Brisbane won, but had to kick a lot more than 12 against StKilda's 16.
12 wouldn't have been enough for Sydney to beat us.

Therefore it was very pleasing that when we played West Coast right after Twatters comments, and kicked 17 goals.
Just in case he was still watching again this weekend , 17 again.

Scot Twatters. You were a crap coach, obviously you made stuff up in your interview just like you make up stuff in the media. Its a pity you went to Perth, i'd have preferred you around 1000km further West.

Plenty of Essendon bashing on FoxFooty’s shows tonight but On The Couch stopped to give us a little credit.

• More field position is allowing Nas in particular to be lethal up the ground.
  • Sharman and Owens gut running up and back.
  • Sharman in particular with some rewarded and unrewarded efforts, but the unrewarded opened up marks for others inside 50. Selfless footy.
  • Pointed out we are still defensively highly ranked, but starting to put some scores on the board and playing much more attractive footy than we have been blamed for this year

Since round 12 we are second for defending ball movement and first for post-clearance contested possession differential. Overall we have the equal 4th best profile.
Round 12 was Hunter Clark's first game of the year. That's not to say a healthy Hunter is the secret to premiership success, but I think it's a fair indicator that if we get our midfield right, we'll go a long way

On Pixel 8 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Since round 12 we are second for defending ball movement and first for post-clearance contested possession differential. Overall we have the equal 4th best profile.
How long did it take for the team to click and for things to start coming together in RTBs first tenure with us?
1 1/2 to 2 seasons?
History repeating?

How long did it take for the team to click and for things to start coming together in RTBs first tenure with us?
1 1/2 to 2 seasons?
History repeating?
I've noted the same thing. I remember us struggling and then about 8 weeks out from the end of the season it suddenly clicked and we started rolling teams by 10 goals. The following season I think we may have been close to the hardest team to score against in the history of the league, judging by total scores against for the home and away season.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back