2024 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 7 - Alix Tauru

I thought long and hard about whether I should make another trade play, or be cute and make a different choice but this pick makes too much sense.

North needs key position depth, they need marking power and they need raw talent.

Taurus brings all that. An athletic and powerful key position player, who can dominate at both ends, he didn't play as much football as you'd like this year, but when he did it was great.

It's a ceiling selection, and I am a bit cautious about key prospects in the top 10, as the bust potential is real, but Tauru is worth the risk.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick 9 - Josh SMILLIE
Best available here, also players of his size and skillset are still relatively rare, and has leadership in spades

Pick 10 - Xavier LYNDSAY
Having taken the big bodied clearance mid going for a POD and some balance. Good mix of speed and endurance, ball use and versatility. Also has leadership credentials and a Saints supporter.

Edit: was close to picking Reid but just liked the balance of Smillie, Steele, Sinclair, Pou, Wilson and Lyndsay a little more

Blugazi

Last edited:
Melbourne select Murphy Reid with Pick 11. Would've loved Smillie or Tauru to slide here, as a young big bodied mid and a key defender are probably the main needs for the Dees. The Dees are low key putting together a talented young list: add O'Sullivan and Reid to Van Rooyen, Jefferson, Windsor, Rivers and Petty; with Oliver, Petracca and Lever still with a few more quality years left.

Pick 13: RICHMOND - Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo Pioneers - 187cm - Midfielder/Defender
Having spent my first two picks on inside mids, turning attention to the outside. Classy on wing or back flank, plenty of speed, will run all day. Travaglia suits needs perfectly, and is great value at pick 13.

Pick 14: RICHMOND - Taj Hotton - Sandringham Dragons - 182cm - Forward/Midfielder
Coming off an ACL, will likely take his time to work into the system. But prior to the injury, was looking like he could be anything. Will be hoping he can live up to that promise, and could prove to be the bargain of the draft. Athletic, dynamic, excellent overhead, can hit the scoreboard.

Also considered - Bo Allan. Close call, but favoured the local.

Next up TerryWallet and West Coast for pick 15.

TENACIOUS

Pick 15: West Coast - Joe Berry - Murray Bushies - 180cm - Small Forward/Mid

Very happy to take Joe here. He was the last player of the top ilk that was left on my list. Really classy player and is deceptively strong and powerful in the legs and hips, making him a beautifully long powerful kick and also a very strong tackler.

Small forwards who can kick 50 metre goals are very rare(as we well know). Being able to, gives you an extra avenue to goal. Think Papley. That extra avenue allows you to be a consistent goalscorer, which Berry is. He also has a right peg that he can use, unlike most lefties. He is ever dangerous around goals and also is a diligent worker up and down the ground. He can also play as a mid in spurts, which also adds to his arsenal.

All in all, he exudes AFL talent and happy to take him if i'm WC.

Pablito for Kenny's Boys is up next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 17 - Fremantle
Bo Allan

Was holding out for one of Hotton or Berry at this pick to fill a small forward need but with Bolton coming in the Docker's are fairly set in all positions of the ground. An upgrade to their utility types like Aish and Banfield is the only thing I see as a genuine need, and Bo Allan fits that bill magnificently. Tall, powerful and a lovely kick, he can play anywhere from half back, wing, on ball or even up forward as a 3rd tall type. Has some real explosive power about him which will help add some much needed dare to the Docker's relatively vanilla team set up.

bradfisher14 ur up next

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back