List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt we’d push Bailey out however he is replaceable definitely. I’d say he is not the highest priority signing at the moment and he will get a contract offer after we have sorted others. If Bailey wanted to explore his options elsewhere so be it.

Scott is so much more a priority than Zurhaar. It’s not even funny.

Zurhaar is the fizz in your can of coke. Scott is your water.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. If all things were equal, in that they were both free agents coming out of contract this year, Zurhaar would be worth far more on the open market. As we improve to the point where we have more and better quality forward 50 entries on a consistent basis, Zurhaar is a 40 plus goal a year third forward. That is a much more difficult commodity to find than a hard-running wingman with a solid tank bit who lacks physicality and has average disposal at best and questionable decision-making.

I like Bailey, and I hope they both stay.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. If all things were equal, in that they were both free agents coming out of contract this year, Zurhaar would be worth far more on the open market. As we improve to the point where we have more and better quality forward 50 entries on a consistent basis, Zurhaar is a 40 plus goal a year third forward. That is a much more difficult commodity to find than a hard-running wingman with a solid tank bit who lacks physicality and has average disposal at best and questionable decision-making.

The open market is nothing like the needs of our list.

Name the players on our team who are effective defensive runners…

Now name how many of them average 14kms a game.

We need more players that can impact multiple contests in each of the three zones. We have been starved for accountable runners for 10 years but the one we do have (who admittedly is down on form) isn’t being recognised, despite multiple podium finishes on the back of this elite attribute?

Madness.

We need more players that can impact multiple contests in each of the three zones. We have been starved for accountable runners for 10 years but the one we do have (who admittedly is down on form) isn’t being recognised, despite multiple podium finishes on the back of this elite attribute?

Madness.
Like I said, I like Bailey and I'd like to keep them both. I love his running but I think physicality in the contest, disposal, and decision-making are all average at best. If he plays games like he did against Essendon then it doesn't matter how far he runs. At his best a solid member of the best 22.

Im sure about it, you're 100% correct. Zurhaar would fetch way more on the open market.

Madness.
That fact is he can ONLY play wing. He isn't psychical, he's not strong over head and skills not high enough to consistently hurt teams makes him very limited.
How many years, if any, do you think we'd be worse off by replacing Scott with McKercher? If we had they flexibility to play Scott in defence then we have more options, but that didnt really work out.
We cant leave McKercher down back, we've got a bunch of other young players coming through for those spots.

If that's the case why did he pick up Tucker Howe

If my memories serve me right, clarkson said in late 2022 that we will pick up a few experienced players but they are there to facilitate the growth of the youth and it's the youths who will lead.

Also, get the most suitable player for the specified roles.

Tucker, shiel all fulfills the role of being filler players to plug a gap until high end youngsters are ready.

That fact is he can ONLY play wing. He isn't psychical, he's not strong over head and skills not high enough to consistently hurt teams makes him very limited.
How many years, if any, do you think we'd be worse off by replacing Scott with McKercher? If we had they flexibility to play Scott in defence then we have more options, but that didnt really work out.
We cant leave McKercher down back, we've got a bunch of other young players coming through for those spots.
- A quarter of our list is made up of HBs.

- Kerch is only being used back there until others gain experience or come back from injury.

- There are two wings. Why not play one that is more defensive (Scott), and one that is more attacking (Kerch). At least until Colby has gained the strength and body to play mid.

Firstly, I never said Bailey Scott would be on a higher-than-average salary, I simply said his salary will be higher than people expect.

Based on the figures in this article, there were 660 players on the main list at AFL clubs in 2023. Exactly half (330) were paid in the $100,000 to $400,000 range. So the average was about $40k higher than the median, which is not a significant difference, IMO.

Now, given AFL clubs regularly engage in contract shenanigans with front-loading, etc, who earns what in any given year is a bit of a lottery, but given the overall wage increases (average rising from $387k in 2022 to $519k in 2027), I think it's fair to assume an experienced, solid (ie not a star) best-22 player to be getting somewhere around or just above the average wage.

Which brings me back to a line that I deleted from my previous post which probably would have saved me some time and effort on this one - don't freak out when you find that Bailey Scott is asking for half a million bucks a year.
The increase in TPP only benefits the top echelon of athletes.. look at how much is being slung around for Luke? It will have a negative impact for fringe/average players. As however you’d like to paint it.. baily is fringe average at best in a top 8 team.

Im not nostra, im more nuanced and objective. I don’t get sucked in with subjective feels.

Baily is average at best. 400k per year

anyone mentioned Isaac Cumming from GWS? He was elite and building and damaging HB with good disposal in 21/22. Had a quiet year last year with ash and Whitfield taking a lot of those duties and has been out injured all year. Back for his first game this week.

Unrestricted free agent I believe and right in the wheelhouse of that 25/26 age bracket. Surely GWS ain’t offering him much. They are flush with options.

anyone mentioned Isaac Cumming from GWS? He was elite and building and damaging HB with good disposal in 21/22. Had a quiet year last year with ash and Whitfield taking a lot of those duties and has been out injured all year. Back for his first game this week.

Unrestricted free agent I believe and right in the wheelhouse of that 25/26 age bracket. Surely GWS ain’t offering him much. They are flush with options.
I reckon we have sorted our back stocks. Time to address the elephant in the room, a quality kpf.

I reckon we have sorted our back stocks. Time to address the elephant in the room, a quality kpf.
That's the missing piece for me. As long as Larkey is our number one forward target, we are in trouble.

Let's be real, disregard last year when GC tanked the last game and old mate kicked 9. His previous best year was 42.

2019: 26
2020: 14
2021: 42
2022: 38
2023: 71*
2024: 28

Need that player that averages 55-65 goals a year to give a premiership a real shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the missing piece for me. As long as Larkey is our number one forward target, we are in trouble.

Let's be real, disregard last year when GC tanked the last game and old mate kicked 9. His previous best year was 42.

Need that player that averages 55-65 goals a year to give a premiership a real shake.

71 - 9 = 62. In that 55-65 window, no?

Disregard a season because of 1 game? Yeah, nah.

Scott is so much more a priority than Zurhaar. It’s not even funny.

Zurhaar is the fizz in your can of coke. Scott is your water.
Didn't Bruce Lee have the saying, "Be like water"?
whipping bruce lee GIF

Regardless of what larkey kicked we need 2 decent forwards and ideally they compliment one another. Souva is incredibly efficient but isnt a pack mark type player. So oppos just push multiple players back on him. Its got a little better with pink and more recently teakle clearing out defenders but they have a lot to show to improve. Possibly beyond their ceiling.

I doubt we’d push Bailey out however he is replaceable definitely. I’d say he is not the highest priority signing at the moment and he will get a contract offer after we have sorted others. If Bailey wanted to explore his options elsewhere so be it.

Bailey has gotten the most out of himself and us out of him during the dark years of 21, 22 and his ceiling is reached.

He won't be that much better than he is currently and his value atm is at a high so if he is to leave, now is the time.

We of course won't get rid off him but he isn't high on the priority list.

Bailey has gotten the most out of himself and us out of him during the dark years of 21, 22 and his ceiling is reached.

He won't be that much better than he is currently and his value atm is at a high so if he is to leave, now is the time.

We of course won't get rid off him but he isn't high on the priority list.

How is his value high now? He has had an average year so far, didn't help trying to play him off half back where his deficiencies were highlighted more. Clubs arent going to clambering for him, GC merely mentioned as he lived there and Geelong cause his dad also played there...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are we in a position to trade our first pick this year (pick 1 or 2) for an established player preferably KPF? Eg Pick 1 for Max King?

Are we in a position to trade our first pick this year (pick 1 or 2) for an established player preferably KPF? Eg Pick 1 for Max King?

That's logically the stage we are at and where we should be thinking. Similarly what dees did with lever and may, both cost first rd picks, ade did similar before they had the kids in... or at least split the first and use one top ten in draft and one in trade....think our issue will still be getting them to come

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You need 30 reliable, good players to win a premiership.

Bailey is reliable and good. Sometimes he makes mistakes. Sometimes he has moments of desperate brilliance. Always runs his heart out.

Madness for North to push him out.
I don't want to push him out. I want to keep him. But he's exactly the type of player that you can't afford to overpay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back