List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely as a supporter base we can be honest with ourselves and acknowledge that we're unlikely to get the best available talent on the market. This has always been the case. Even for those toward the end of the career, there is little motivation to choose to come and play for North at this point. Why would Luke Parker come and play for North when he he'd likely be coveted by big Victorian teams that are in a position to contend. Houston - genuine pipe dream. We've invested in the draft, we need some established players that have high standards on and off field to help plug holes temporarily while the team develops.
There are always ways to get players in, as difficult as it may be. In case of Parker, we can offer more money and longer contract than most. We can also potentially offer better trade to the Swans, which is also a factor given he's contracted.

Houston is a gun half back. He is in line to be AA this season, if not derailed by the suspension. Given that we've tried McKercher and Fisher there without much success, he'd be worth pushing for. He has made it clear he wants to come home to Victoria. If that's a priority for him, we are better placed to negotiate a trade that Port would accept than most other vic clubs. Of course he'd prefer a club with premiership or at least finals aspirations, but if Clarko can sell his vision to him, that we could be anywhere in 12 months time, given our cap space and ability to get a trade done would be a factor.

It may be a long shot but far from a pipe dream.

If we bring 4 experienced players in, at the end of their careers, we will waste 80 games next year of players assimilating to a new game plan, 80 games that could go to the kids learning in the big stage, and 80 games of chemistry being built.

I can live with 20 or 30 for blokes who can bring big game experience, but if they aren’t here in four years there’s no point.

Better to find the Josh Gibson project types that have already played 50-100 games so they can grow too if you are looking for experienced players for the other 50-60 games you’re giving to older players.

I’m not sure if Tucker is in our next premiership side but he has been far better this year than last and could be a valuable player through the rebuild.

And Fisher or Stephens may prove to be that next year, maybe not.

But getting four ageing blokes in is a waste of time - we had Greenwood as an example and he died on the vine in the twos.
Need a general. Someone who commands attention and oozes leadership. Because the ones we have now arent worth a pinch of shit

I think we have to remove 2x rookie spots this year so I have 8 delisting's required to have 6 list spots open:
- 3-4 draft
- 1-2 trade
- 1 DFA

Delisting group for me in order to choose from:
  1. Thomas
  2. Greenwood
  3. Shiels
  4. Taylor
  5. Lazarro
  6. Drury
  7. Sellers
  8. Harvey
  9. Pink
  10. Free

Key targets for me are:

- small forward (with pace)
- small defender (with pace)
- Inside/Outside mid (with 2-way repeatable pace)
- KP forward

I think we have to remove 2x rookie spots this year so I have 8 delisting's required to have 6 list spots open:
- 3-4 draft
- 1-2 trade
- 1 DFA

1. Thomas
  2. Greenwood
  3. Shiels
  4. Taylor
  5. Lazarro
  6. Drury
  7. Sellers
  8. Harvey
  9. Pink
  10. Free

Key targets for me are:

- KP forward
I'd keep Pink as insurance for 1 more year, consider keeping Drury as he's one of the few showing something in VFL, while Taylor and Harvey are touch and go. I'd delist Biggie as well, or is he contracted?

- 3-4 draft
- 1-2 trade
- 1 DFA

1. Thomas
  2. Greenwood
  3. Shiels
  4. Taylor
  5. Lazarro
  6. Drury
  7. Sellers
  8. Harvey
  9. Pink
  10. Free

Key targets for me are:

- KP forward

Pretty sure Pink has earned himself a contract extension already

I'd keep Pink as insurance for 1 more year, consider keeping Drury as he's one of the few showing something in VFL, while Taylor and Harvey are touch and go. I'd delist Biggie as well, or is he contracted?
Pink triggered an extension and Biggie is contracted for next year.

Biggie should be paid out.

Along with CCJ and Stephenson.

- 3-4 draft
- 1-2 trade
- 1 DFA

1. Thomas
  2. Greenwood
  3. Shiels
  4. Taylor
  5. Lazarro
  6. Drury
  7. Sellers
  8. Harvey
  9. Pink
  10. Free

Key targets for me are:

- KP forward

I agree about the numbers, but Pink triggered another year and I don’t think they’ll cut Drury.

I think Stephenson is a chance of being paid out and cut. And i believe Phillips will be traded.

So I went to a seminar just last yesterday, as I'm thinking of becoming a player manager, seems a job where not much is required.

They had a heap of people banging on as I twiddled my thumbs awaiting the keynote speaker, Adewale Mike Aladesanmi a Nigerian Prince from the Nigeria's.

He bounded onto stage just after lunch holding a single dollar coin, he said, " with this one dollar you can make your client millions more than they should earn.
Everyone was laughing and poor Adewale said, " I know what your thinking, but this is true".

He said this model of bait n hook has worked for years. But you need to be careful as it can turn pear-shaped if you don't know your limitations. More on that later.

We all by this stage were mesmerized that big smile , those pearly whites and the glint in Adewale's eye. And he said, "when your client has one year of contract, you ask if he happy, if he happy , you happy , but you no you not happy I ring North Melbourne FC, you say client unhappy, and he thinking of leaving. ( that is the use of the dollar) You then say how impressed he is with what happening at North Melbourne.
Then you wait....

5 day later you let out your client is thinking of moving on, but you do not say where, you have client get interviewed stating he will play out season and reassess situation.

Then you wait...

Then 4 more days later NMFC will announce they are indeed the ones talking with player 'y' and it looks likely he's coming across.

One month later...

Client sign with original club for inflated dollars.

People were taking notes, Brady Rawlin was there and scoffed and was heard muttering , " as if that would ever happen".

I then summoned up the courage to raise my hand and remind Adewale Mike Aladesanmi to tell us about those situations where it went horribly wrong, everyone was nodding.

He drew breath and said two names Zach Fisher & Dylan Stephens, both their old club play finals this year. And both should have known they're fairly shit, he of course said he was joking about them being shit.
As he didn't want to impact of their future contract negotiations with NMFC.

He said he will need a week to tell us all how to get a pay rise for your players that are unfortunately already at NMFC, a whole different ball game said Adewale Mike Aladesanmi.

Then I left and went home.

- 3-4 draft
- 1-2 trade
- 1 DFA

1. Thomas
  2. Greenwood
  3. Shiels
  4. Taylor
  5. Lazarro
  6. Drury
  7. Sellers
  8. Harvey
  9. Pink
  10. Free

Key targets for me are:

- KP forward
Pink hit a contract trigger, he's here until 2025.

- 3-4 draft
- 1-2 trade
- 1 DFA

1. Thomas
  2. Greenwood
  3. Shiels
  4. Taylor
  5. Lazarro
  6. Drury
  7. Sellers
  8. Harvey
  9. Pink
  10. Free

Key targets for me are:

- KP forward
We have 46 on our lists at the moment, ie. we are 4 over not 2. The two extra rookie places we will lose plus the two players we took in the msd to cover LTI's. We will need to delist or trade out ten players to get those six free list spots.

We start with: 2, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade Pick 2 and F2 for GC's pick 6, 11, 20

6, 11, 20, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade 11 & 58 For Houston.
Trade 40 For Parker.

Go to the draft with 6, 20, 22, 65

Pick 6 - Harry Armstrong or Jack Whitlock (Key Forward)
Pick 20 - Joe Berry (Small Forward)
Pick 22 - Kayle Gerreyn or Jobe Shanahan (Key Forward)
Pick 65 - Pat Retschko or Jack Ough or Luca Greggo (Utilities)

Rookie 1: River Stevens (half forward)
Rookie 2: Evan Bradley (small forward)

Round 1 2024:

B: Goater, Comben, Corr
HB: Houston, Logue, Archer
C: Mckercher, Parker, Scott
HF: Sheezel, Teakle, Zurhaar
F: Curtis, Larkey, Berry
Foll: Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw
Int/Depth: Powell, Simpkin, Fisher, Tucker, McDonald, Ford, Hardeman, Payne, Stephens ect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now it starts, Richmond are going to have some amazing picks in this draft, so interesting.
Sounds like they are going down the path we went which is to gut the list and go to the draft.

Yes they will get draft picks, but they are giving up quality that is in the prime age bracket, so it’s a massive risk if you don’t nail those draft picks.

What would you rather keep a player like LDU now entering his prime years or to take a punt on 2 x most likely mid to late first rounders?

Trade 40 For Parker.

Round 1 2024:

Int/Depth: Powell, Simpkin, Fisher, Tucker, McDonald, Ford, Hardeman, Payne, Stephens ect.

Wouldn't it be grand if it indeed was that simple.
And Comben will be up the other end of the ground where he belongs.
You crazy buggers need to get use to that :)

Sounds like they are going down the path we went which is to gut the list and go to the draft.

Yes they will get draft picks, but they are giving up quality that is in the prime age bracket, so it’s a massive risk if you don’t nail those draft picks.

What would you rather keep a player like LDU now entering his prime years or to take a punt on 2 x most likely mid to late first rounders?

They'll still have plenty of mature bodies around to protect the kids. Taranto, Hopper, Prestia in the midfield...Vlastuin, Short Broad and Balta in defence....Only really have Lynch in the forward line, but that's pretty of experience to ensure they don't end up being a complete cluster **** like us. Once we did our cull we were left with Ziebell & Corr and that's about it.

Trade 40 For Parker.

Round 1 2024:

Good hypothetical but I think Port are going to probably want a top 10 pick for Houston and not sure Berry lasts to pick 20.

Wouldn't it be grand if it indeed was that simple.
And Comben will be up the other end of the ground where he belongs.
You crazy buggers need to get use to that :)

Other clubs seem to make it simple like that. For some reason, we can never seen to address the missing links on our list.

Regarding Comben, I don't care which end of the ground he plays at, just so long as we don't ignore picking up a few more talls in the draft. We desperately need more talls coming through the ranks.

Hi Tigers supporter - interested in the opinions of supporters who are attached to a rebuilding club as this is our next few years.

Firstly Richmond has no choice but to trade out players in their prime such as Bolton, Rioli etc as they have trade value now, however, will not in 2 or 3 years. We are an aged team whose list is stuffed/past it and totally injury prone. We need youth injections and the risk is to not trade out as our players will eventually have less suitors as they age further.

Has North erred in not keeping a few of their older players or bringing in a few from other clubs whilst kids were developing?

Your rebuild has taken too long and I’d like to no why this is.

Even though your ladder position is not good, your base now is and it won’t be long until you impact.

Other clubs seem to make it simple like that. For some reason, we can never seen to address the missing links on our list.

Regarding Comben, I don't care which end of the ground he plays at, just so long as we don't ignore picking up a few more talls in the draft. We desperately need more talls coming through the ranks.

Simply cause we're shithouse. I've been regaled by stories of superstars wanting to join North during our reign in the 90's..

We need to win around 10 games before we should consider offering decent players contracts. It's embarrassing how many times we've been knocked back.

Hi Tigers supporter - interested in the opinions of supporters who are attached to a rebuilding club as this is our next few years.

Firstly Richmond has no choice but to trade out players in their prime such as Bolton, Rioli etc as they have trade value now, however, will not in 2 or 3 years. We are an aged team whose list is stuffed/past it and totally injury prone. We need youth injections and the risk is to not trade out as our players will eventually have less suitors as they age further.

Has North erred in not keeping a few of their older players or bringing in a few from other clubs whilst kids were developing?

Your rebuild has taken too long and I’d like to no why this is.

Even though your ladder position is not good, your base now is and it won’t be long until you impact.

1. Going back even as far as 10 years ago, we cut way too deep and we weren't left many decent mature players with experience to provide leadership or to set standards.

2. We went through a stack of coaches in a short period of time leading to unrest in the playing group.

3. Our off field situation from board level to line coaches to fitness coaches to rehab was an absolute schmozzle.

4. Over the years we torched a heap of later first round picks and 2nd round picks on players that were not up to standard and never developed.

5. Over recent years we have failed to address our KP needs and have continually gone to the draft and gone after midfielders leaving holes in key areas of the field.

6. The Tarryn Thomas & JHF situations also robbed us of talent and depth.

7. We overpaid for fringe players like Coleman Jones and Dylan Stephens.

8. We've failed to attract any higher end free agents or mature recruits.

9. We failed to get adequate value out of decent players like Brown, Higgins and JHF.

Ultimately, everything that could've gone wrong, has gone wrong for us.

As I said in a previous post, even you if trade Bolton/Rioli/Baker/Graham you are still going to have plenty of experience there to guide the upcoming guns. Balta, Vlastuin, Broad, Taranto, Hopper and Nankervis is a solid platform to build upon.

Last edited:
Pink triggered an extension and Biggie is contracted for next year.

Biggie should be paid out.

Along with CCJ and Stephenson.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed Biggie is contracted for next year.

Footywire have him a 1 year deal, in no press release at his recruitment did I read it confirming the deal length.

We were able to sign him because Richmond didn’t offer him a deal. 1 year could have triggered that.

Liam Shiels has just announced his retirement, no surprises there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back