Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Save Me Animation GIF by Queen

Goodbye captain, oh my captain.

Give Luke Parker 2 years with a trigger for a 3rd

Dylan Shiel could be another to consider been in good form for essendon of late

Last edited:

Hi Tigers supporter - interested in the opinions of supporters who are attached to a rebuilding club as this is our next few years.

Firstly Richmond has no choice but to trade out players in their prime such as Bolton, Rioli etc as they have trade value now, however, will not in 2 or 3 years. We are an aged team whose list is stuffed/past it and totally injury prone. We need youth injections and the risk is to not trade out as our players will eventually have less suitors as they age further.

Has North erred in not keeping a few of their older players or bringing in a few from other clubs whilst kids were developing?

Your rebuild has taken too long and I’d like to no why this is.

Even though your ladder position is not good, your base now is and it won’t be long until you impact.
Yeah I don't think you have much choice when players want to leave and especially with Tassie coming in it's probably for the best you cash in now, but you have to nail the draft picks you get for them really otherwise its sets the timeline back.
We should've really kept some more leaders to carry the burden, too much placed on the shoulder I think of too few.
You could argue we should've kept a Mason Wood for example who was frustrating but a solid AFL player.
So long as you balance the keeping leaders and experience whilst adding draftees you should be ok.
Thanks for a very objective description of Norths issues. Hopefully we don’t do exactly the same. As yet North do not seem to have enough KP players. Do you think you may use your early pick(s) to select these types.? Eg Armstrong or more onballers?
We're not sure what they will do. Likely that they just go best talent at the early pick.
Clarko has talked about the depth of the midfield being an issue and he's also talked about addressing the spine (fwd/def).

He though is contracted for next season and it seemed to happen in a flurry once our interest got out.
No doubt used us as leverage to get the 3 years but I still think you make the approach, you make the other team spend more of their cap anyway. Same thing happens with the Crows being used that way but they also got Rankine and Dawson.

Last edited:
Thanks for a very objective description of Norths issues. Hopefully we don’t do exactly the same. As yet North do not seem to have enough KP players. Do you think you may use your early pick(s) to select these types.? Eg Armstrong or more onballers?
Rebuilding by drafting elite midfielders sounds like a great strategy until you do the maths and realise you're about 10 times more likely to pick up a decent midfielder in a trade than you are a decent KPP.

Father-sons, academies and now NGAs will take away what few good talls are at the top of the draft.

You want your club to build a balanced list from the get-go.

Hi Tigers supporter - interested in the opinions of supporters who are attached to a rebuilding club as this is our next few years.

Firstly Richmond has no choice but to trade out players in their prime such as Bolton, Rioli etc as they have trade value now, however, will not in 2 or 3 years. We are an aged team whose list is stuffed/past it and totally injury prone. We need youth injections and the risk is to not trade out as our players will eventually have less suitors as they age further.

Has North erred in not keeping a few of their older players or bringing in a few from other clubs whilst kids were developing?

Even though your ladder position is not good, your base now is and it won’t be long until you impact.
The key difference is you've won 3 flags and we haven't played in a GF for over 25 years. You can be a bit patient, as you've still got premiership players on your list, whereas a generation of our supporters have never seen a flag.

Why has our rebuild taken so long? After the retirements of Petrie/Boomer/Firrito we didn't hit the jackpot in drafting or recruiting.

Every premiership team needs a superstar - Dusty Martin, Bont, Selwood, Daicos etc

With our drafting in the first round we got some solid players but no multiple AA level players.

More recently, we've missed on Will Phillips, lost our only #1 pick in JHF, gave up the rights to Harley Reid, had Tarryn Thomas go off the rails, and lost one of our best players for zero compensation, and generally brought in bog average players like Jaidyn Stephenson, Callum Coleman Jones, Dylan Stephens, Darcy Tucker etc. Don't forget the 6 year deal for Polec, giving up our draft picks to Melbourne who got Kozzie Pickett with the pick etc

And had a coach who had a breakdown, another who the players hated, and a 4 time premiership coach who had to take leave due to a scandal at his former club.

So it's part bad luck, part bad recruiting. You need everything to go right to win.

Only now are we turning the corner, with the newer recruits in Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher looking good. We need Duursma also become elite. And for our key backs in Comben and Logue not to get injured. Still, we only won 3 games this year, same as last year so it's a looong time before we are competing again.

What should Richmond do? Recruit the next Martin and Cotchin. That take a lot of luck. But with Tassie coming in and likely taking 50% of the talent away, it's best to cash in and get ad many picks to try to win the lotto before that happens.

We have already take twice as many floggings as Brisbane in the last trough. We don’t need any more.
Not at all mate, and I know this is pretty arbitrary but Brisbane between 2014-2018 had 13 losses by more then 83 points.

We have had 6 between 2020-2024, and about another six in the 70 point range.

I am not sure how many they had in the 70’s as I looked at a list of their greatest losses ever and it bottomed out at 83.

So let’s not forget that it’s ok to get a hiding or two at this stage of our development. IMG_8920.jpeg

For me, we may as well get rid of Fisher.
Every week I watch a bloke with no right foot, run by on the right hand side calling for a handball. Only to run into trouble and circle back around on his left losing any advantage of receiving the fast handball in the first place.
It is infuriating to me, and how he is not being called out on it, I have no idea.
It was the exact same problem at Carlton. I like that he wants the ball, I hate that he hasn't yet worked out how to be in the best position to receive it.
Reeks of dumb footballer with reasonable skills, but still dumb.
Agree 100% - gets 31 disposals that never hurt the opposition. Could have won the game against Collingwood with a gettabke last min goal as the crafty small forward we recruited. Massive disappointment this year and needs to play forward of centre. Sheezel is the only one who should be demanding the football as he uses it well. Very smart footballer

Not at all mate, and I know this is pretty arbitrary but Brisbane between 2014-2018 had 13 losses by more then 83 points.

We have had 6 between 2020-2024, and about another six in the 70 point range.

I am not sure how many they had in the 70’s as I looked at a list of their greatest losses ever and it bottomed out at 83.

So let’s not forget that it’s ok to get a hiding or two at this stage of our development.View attachment 2085850
A bit like trying to get your head around quantum mechanics, I just cannot comprehend how any team could be worse than us…things are looking up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon any time there is a talk of a decent player coming to our club, their Managers must start doing back flips and ordering a case of Bolllinger.

Not sure how serious the Viney effort was, when inside a week he pens another 3 years with the Dee’s. Perhaps there is a method in Clarko’s approach to toss a lot of darts out and hope a few land.

Rebuilding by drafting elite midfielders sounds like a great strategy until you do the maths and realise you're about 10 times more likely to pick up a decent midfielder in a trade than you are a decent KPP.

Father-sons, academies and now NGAs will take away what few good talls are at the top of the draft.

You want your club to build a balanced list from the get-go.

We could have taken Cadmans and missed on Sheezel I suppose.

Or Ugle-hagan or Darcy or Jed Walter oh wait.

McDonalds the one KP we missed , and he's not really one anyway.

Only now are we turning the corner, with the newer recruits in Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher looking good. We need Duursma also become elite. And for our key backs in Comben and Logue not to get injured. Still, we only won 3 games this year, same as last year so it's a looong time before we are competing again.
Not to be the poster who zeros onto a specific point, but if the football trauma we have collectively experienced since Bard fatefully retired a 20 disposal, 1.5 goal a game small forward, it’s that nothing but Harry is certain.

Wardlaw is a cracking kid with a lion heart, but even he is no sure thing. Duursma is even further back. ZD already has some incredible highlights, but he will need to work his arse off to make his talent turn into success.

Not to be the poster who zeros onto a specific point, but if the football trauma we have collectively experienced since Bard fatefully retired a 20 disposal, 1.5 goal a game small forward, it’s that nothing but Harry is certain.

Wardlaw is a cracking kid with a lion heart, but even he is no sure thing. Duursma is even further back. ZD already has some incredible highlights, but he will need to work his arse off to make his talent turn into success.
100% especially when they've got no one to learn off.

LDU had a year or so of Cunners and Higgo. Jy didn't have much time playing alongside either. They are two of our most experienced and for most of their time with North they haven't actually seen what a functional midfield looks like.

Logue was Fremantle's 4th choice key defender but he's our best, IMO, because he was able to learn off the likes of Pearce, who learnt off McPharlin, etc.

We've broken the chain of continuity, that kind of passing on of knowledge if you will, and now the boys are having to learn the theory and try to apply it all by themselves.

Yes to Parker. Half thinking of putting you on ignore after reading the part about Shiel.

This is certainly the cutest reason I’ve seen somebody mention for ignoring Nostra. I think he’d agree.

100% especially when they've got no one to learn off.

LDU had a year or so of Cunners and Higgo. Jy didn't have much time playing alongside either. They are two of our most experienced and for most of their time with North they haven't actually seen what a functional midfield looks like.

Logue was Fremantle's 4th choice key defender but he's our best, IMO, because he was able to learn off the likes of Pearce, who learnt off McPharlin, etc.

We've broken the chain of continuity, that kind of passing on of knowledge if you will, and now the boys are having to learn the theory and try to apply it all by themselves.
Bard and the 2016-2018 list management will be written about as case studies of how to destroy not only a list but the very spirit of a sports club. F*cking criminal.

Can I interest you in a couple of your first rounders for Simpkin and McDonald ?
They have plenty of experience in rebuilding…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back