List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we bring 4 experienced players in, at the end of their careers, we will waste 80 games next year of players assimilating to a new game plan, 80 games that could go to the kids learning in the big stage, and 80 games of chemistry being built.

I can live with 20 or 30 for blokes who can bring big game experience, but if they aren’t here in four years there’s no point.

Better to find the Josh Gibson project types that have already played 50-100 games so they can grow too if you are looking for experienced players for the other 50-60 games you’re giving to older players.

I’m not sure if Tucker is in our next premiership side but he has been far better this year than last and could be a valuable player through the rebuild.

And Fisher or Stephens may prove to be that next year, maybe not.

But getting four ageing blokes in is a waste of time - we had Greenwood as an example and he died on the vine in the twos.

If we bring 4 experienced players in, at the end of their careers, we will waste 80 games next year of players assimilating to a new game plan, 80 games that could go to the kids learning in the big stage, and 80 games of chemistry being built.

I can live with 20 or 30 for blokes who can bring big game experience, but if they aren’t here in four years there’s no point.

Better to find the Josh Gibson project types that have already played 50-100 games so they can grow too.

I’m not sure if Tucker is in our next premiership side but he has been far better this year than last and could be a valuable player through the rebuild.

But getting four ageing blokes in is a waste of time - we had Greenwood as an example and he died on the vine in the twos.
80 games of getting pumped is worth **** all.

When our three most senior mids can't even work out simple stoppage structures then yeah they will help.
But when the shit hits the fan we will still get a hiding or two.

And I’d rather allow these guys to work it out together - that’s what will give them the chemistry long term.

Sometimes it’s difficult to remember the days when McLuggage, Berry, Andrews, McInenrey, Hipwood, Starcevich, Bailey were running around for Brisbane and we would constantly beat them by 10-12 goals at Etihad while they were surrounded by spuds.

You gotta take some licks and I reckon there’ll be less as we allow the core crew we have at the moment in Sheeze, Warlord, X, PC, Arch, Duurs grow as a collective.

Better to find the Josh Gibson project types that have already played 50-100 games so they can grow too if you are looking for experienced players for the other 50-60 games you’re giving to older players.

Yeah I just want 1 of the senior vets (Parker, wines, Macrae) who will essentially replace shiels

Other than that let the kids play and gel together

But when the shit hits the fan we will still get a hiding or two.

And I’d rather allow these guys to work it out together - that’s what will give them the chemistry long term.

Sometimes it’s difficult to remember the days when McLuggage, Berry, Andrews, McInenrey, Hipwood, Starcevich, Bailey were running around for Brisbane and we would constantly beat them by 10-12 goals at Etihad
My point is that I don't think they're learning much. They're two years in together and still playing merry go rounds with stoppage structures and more often than not 2/3 of our centre bounces crew at any one time go off and do whatever they want.

Jy tried to absorb as much knowledge off Higgo as he could before he left but never got much of an opportunity to play as a centre bounce mid with him.

LDU is the one who should be leading that midfield but understandably, using what knowledge and experience? All he's had to learn off is Cunners for like 20 games and for most of that he was worried about his own form.

I think we’ve got some levelled heads in the defensive 50 which may not warrant experienced defender. It’s the midfield and forward line that there is no ****ing accountability, leadership and complete free will to these guys playing like spoilt brats.

This includes Curtis, Larkey, Cam, Jy, and sorry to say, Wardlaw at the moment.

My point is that I don't think they're learning much. They're two years in together and still playing merry go rounds with stoppage structures and more often than not 2/3 of our centre bounces crew at any one time go off and do whatever they want.

Jy tried to absorb as much knowledge off Higgo as he could before he left but never got much of an opportunity to play as a centre bounce mid with him.

LDU is the one who should be leading that midfield but understandably, using what knowledge and experience? All he's had to learn off is Cunners for like 20 games and for most of that he was worried about his own form.
Agree 💯, but we look better balanced when Wil Phil slides through there because he talks and plays a defensive role - just my opinion.

I’d love a Parker, Ward or Wines but what are the chances of that happening?

I think a full preseason, more learning, more confidence in their bodies and fitness levels (See Powell and Wardlaw), LDU having a pre season where it’s about the team and not him and maybe the narrative changes in there.

I think the lack of rolling other options through there at times is either by design to just expose them consistently and allow them to work it out or is poor coaching - not sure which.

But I think they can sort it out and our Centre bounce work has regularly been pretty good offensively, so a shift to a more balanced approach can be coached over Summer.

I think we’ve got some levelled heads in the defensive 50 which may not warrant experienced defender. It’s the midfield and forward line that there is no ****ing accountability, leadership and complete free will to these guys playing like spoilt brats.

This includes Curtis, Larkey, Cam, Jy, and sorry to say, Wardlaw at the moment.

No accountability from Wardlaw?

One of the best tackling and pressure u/23's players in the entire league?

Brady Bunch K GIF

I think I will cut him a break from the weekend, it was his 2nd game in 6 weeks.

Think we need to lower expectations when it comes to experienced talent we will be able to bring in the door. I think Clarkson reeled off those names knowing that in all likelihood they aren't willing to come to the club. Happy to be proven wrong though. There is obviously still experienced players around the league that could help. Someone like Jed Bews as a DFA could play a role in our backline. Premiership player currently being held out of the backline at Cats.
He did add that he has about a 1 in 10 strike rate and that we may not yet be attractive to recruits.

The issue with a Viney is that he still has plenty of good footy in him. Be hard to extract him. Blokes who are on the outer or on their last legs are more likely.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the ball carrier is within 20m of him.

It's an entire team defence, including the half forwards.

We have no pressure half forwards, all of them are goal kick/score attacking half forwards with Zurhaar as one of the biggest culprits.

We are 7th in the league for pressure the last 8 weeks.

We are 7th in the league for tackles the last 8 weeks.

In that data spread have been 2 x 100 point defeats.

In terms of differentials, they are very much the same.

We are 18th this season for scores per inside 50 by the opposition, 18th for goals per inside 50 by the opposition, and score involvements per inside 50 by opposition.

We just can't defend ball movement and stop it. It was diabolical the first half of the season as everyone saw, but tightened up post bye.

This is definitely on the likes of Simpkin and co, but also the wingers in Scott and Stephens, they don't really have a defensive bone in their body. They "guard space" and run, but they don't actually effect the play and tackle and cause turnover.

We are 18th for tackles and pressure inside 50 and 50% off the league leaders in this regard. We are also 17th for inside 50's, and about 40% off the finals contenders.

So we get it in roughly half as many times, when it does get down there, we only retain it in the 50 half as much as a good side and on the flip side, are the worst team at defending ball movement and preventing scores given the ball exits twice as much as most good teams.

You wonder why we are where we are.

We just handed CZ a 5 year deal, awesome. But he's the 97th ranked pressure forward in the comp, on par with the likes of Josh Treacy, Jack Darling and Mabiol Chol. Key forwards.

Ford is a major issue in this regard also, but he's also been dropped this season, been the sub multiple times and was handed a 1 year deal.

Curtis has improved year on year and is currently our best and the 58th ranked this season. Most teams have 2-3 forwards of this level, not their best.

The best teams defend from the front which helps lock the ball in for repeat entries and takes the pressure off the midfield to do all the running.

Our forward line are complete witches hats.

It's also why we recruited Jordie Payne in the MSD. IF he can get his fitness up over pre-season, he should walk into this side.

Last edited:
Everytime i go into this thread there is an ad for Saturday footy for the Swans with a photo of Luke Parker eerie lol

**** me you think Tomlinson, Bews and these types will stop us getting pumped.

Or having three of Parker, Ward and Haynes would stop that.

Come on.
Definitely not Tomlinson or Bews.
But Parker, Houston and Haynes would

Definitely not Tomlinson or Bews.
But Parker, Houston and Haynes would
Surely as a supporter base we can be honest with ourselves and acknowledge that we're unlikely to get the best available talent on the market. This has always been the case. Even for those toward the end of the career, there is little motivation to choose to come and play for North at this point. Why would Luke Parker come and play for North when he he'd likely be coveted by big Victorian teams that are in a position to contend. Houston - genuine pipe dream. We've invested in the draft, we need some established players that have high standards on and off field to help plug holes temporarily while the team develops.

Dougal Howard?

No accountability from Wardlaw?

One of the best tackling and pressure u/23's players in the entire league?

Brady Bunch K GIF

I think I will cut him a break from the weekend, it was his 2nd game in 6 weeks.
Have you seen some of his decision making in the past few months? The awesome kick that went 3 meters to two when players in our forward line sealed it.

Its very bold of you to back anyone atm in a team that thrives on nurturing low standards but encouraging it via extensions and selections. You should be worried he catches onto the likes of jy, luke and his senior counter parts. Even LDU has lowered his disposal colours.

Whether you like it or not, or young guns aren’t protected by catching mediocrity and running with it.

I'm gonna say something I never thought I would....

Dylan Shiel could be a handy pickup IF we can't lure any of Parker, Viney or Wines. He's actually been contributing since he came back into Essendon's team.

I say this knowing I'll cop some heat for it, but the 2nd half of this season has changed my opinion of him. He'd be handy in our side for a couple of years.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Have you seen some of his decision making in the past few months? The awesome kick that went 3 meters to two when players in our forward line sealed it.

Its very bold of you to back anyone atm in a team that thrives on nurturing low standards but encouraging it via extensions and selections. You should be worried he catches onto the likes of jy, luke and his senior counter parts. Even LDU has lowered his disposal colours.

Whether you like it or not, or young guns aren’t protected by catching mediocrity and running with it.

Yes I have, have you?

Or are you only focusing on the negatives?

How quick some are to forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back