Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Too Risky. Only reason why we got Collingwood 1st was because they couldn’t go higher, we kinda lost on the Port Future trade
Not so sure we lost the Port one. I wouldn't know where to begin to do the valuing myself, but I remember at the time, lots of folk, including Snuffaluphagus , were saying that we couldn't lose on the Port trade, because even at 18 it was a good deal.

Too Risky. Only reason why we got Collingwood 1st was because they couldn’t go higher, we kinda lost on the Port Future trade
We traded what ended up being 32 and 29* (likely to be 32+ as well) for 18. Not a loss at all. Especially considering we would’ve taken Simpson at pick 32 anyway

Love the optimism but your points are pretty cherry picked. We also missed finals and found a way to lose to Essendon when the chips were down with that same team. Even premiers can afford to improve in the offseason and we were a way off being premiers in 2024.

I think the idea of "need" isn't meant to mean we have no choice, but rather that Bolton addresses a pretty obvious list requirement. I can't think of many times we have been picked by a quality player, who fills a need, would significantly improve our chances of winning a flag and we have the currency to make the deal happen while also not compromising our list development.

If we're serious about putting silverware in the cabinet, ever, we should make this deal happen.
I think we all know there were a few extenuating circumstances at the end of the season that saw us tail off from 2nd/3rd spot to miss finals by the barest of margins. We also will be improving the side whichever way the picks/deal goes, that part is inevitable so I'm not too worried about the Bolton deal. We have a LOT of internal improvement still to come before Rd 1 next season.

I have more reservations with the idea the club has so many excellent picks, they should just be throwing them at Richmond to get a deal done. That's silly and not how a successful club operates. I know Walls isn't silly enough to do that but I don't know how much of the smoke blown up Richmond's ass has actually taken hold.

If all they will accept is a stupid trade deal, then I have no issue with the club walking away and finding a new deal for those picks or putting them to use in a strong draft. We all want Bolton at Freo next year but it still has to be a reasonable deal and not Freo bending over. We can win a premiership without Bolton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35ish + 35ish for 22ish is still a win
If Giants didn’t capitulate in that first final against Sydney I’d say Sydney would have lost either the week following or the week following that. It would have pushed Port down one spot and GWS up above Port. That pick would be 15 and only be moved up to 16 as a result of the Battle compo and likely the deal already done. It is still a win getting another first round pick for a couple of picks in the 30’s. Fine margins for to be even better but either way a win.

I think last year one extra win and the F1 we handed over to Melbourne would have climbed from 7 to 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back