Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Richmond are giving pick 26 back along with baker for 14?
It still stinks though lol
It's surely something like this

but then Tigers only get a 12 spot upgrade for Baker, maybe Eagles third goes back too? (Tigers were needing a pick late 30s for the Rioli deal?)

Edit: Eagles don't have their third lol

Richmond at 1 hour before cut off
“We accept 10 and 18”
Wallsy
“Great. So we get Bolton”
“And are we getting pick 24 or picks 51 and 60 along with him?”

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to feel a little bad about this.
pointing GIF

Long term deals. Wanting to leave with years remaining. Things like whatever Mac Andrew got which had a clause for a 4 year trigger. Front loaded. Back loaded. Incentive laden.

May as well just draft players to instant 10 year deals. If they want to leave clubs are going to release them anyway.

Free agency. Free agency compensation. Father sons. Academy. Points system bidding. Exchanging picks for points.

I mean, how is it not madness?
...and yet everything rolls on and nothing's collapsed.

Clubs both benefit from long term deals being kept and being broken.

I'd see it more as turbulence. There's a growth in the game and it's resulting in some new growing pains.

It's surely something like this

but then Tigers only get a 12 spot upgrade for Baker, maybe Eagles third goes back too? (Tigers were needing a pick late 30s for the Rioli deal?)

Edit: Eagles don't have their third lol

Pretty sure they actually traded it to Richmond last year to move up the draft order (It’s now with Brisbane I think).

Clay Hall was the player they drafted if anyone on here cares lol.

I get your point, but sadly players these days aren’t signing contracts solely for loyalty.

Theres combinations of $$$, security and a sense of loyalty at the time of signing. Something like ‘I know 7 years is a long time, but if a time comes where we are to part, you’re looked after and we’re looked after’

I do think it all needs revision.

Only a few years ago if a player had 2 years to run on a contract it wasn’t even a possibility to leave a club. Then 1 year to run on a contract started to get broken.

Now we have Bolton or even Clayton with 6 years to run.

It is madness.

It’s why having our guys on long term deals sounds great, but the reality is any one of them could ask to be released for any one of a dozen BS reasons or some genuine.

I was listening to Scott Lucas (who is Sean Darcy's manager) being asked about long-term deals back sometime in the middle of the season and he said the same thing as you've articulated in the 2nd paragraph.

He was talking more about long term deals in general from a management perspective and not just his own team, or specifically about Sean Darcy.

Managers like it, clubs like it, and he made the point that it's not necessarily binding as there's usually a way around it if circumstances change for player and club.

Oi, Brades, its OK to just point and laugh at others without complaining about Freo sometimes. Like, you'll survive...
Just giving my opinion on what I think is a shit deal. Yeah it's funny to laugh at the Eagles, but let's not shoot ourselves in the foot at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles have been doing us some real solids lately

Brockman last year

Baker this year

I rate Baker. Just the valuation was off. Think he may quietly surprise Eagles supporters next year. Wouldn’t be surprised if he very quickly became one of their more reliable and better players.

Quietly disappointed he couldn’t see the light.

I’ve got a feeling the Baker, Bolton and Rioli trades will be linked tbh and not just because Richmond is involved in all three.

Got a feeling all three trades might get done quite quickly if the AFL doesn’t stop that happening for TV ratings.

Hahahaha, WC getting Owies, 12 and 14 for 3 by the sounds of it
10,11,30 for Bolton and 14 that goes to Richmond?
If so let's hope pick 3 becomes the next Bont. Also wondering how Liam Ryan, Cripps, Owies and Long are all going to go in the same forward line?
**** Noah Long. He was the player that rooted that bird I'm keen on. Praying for his downfall

Damn, Tigers getting 14 does kinda open up 11 downgrading to 14 again, really don't want to be out of that 11 range of picks

The positive for me would be we’d probably end up keeping Pick 18 if the rumoured Gold Coast-Richmond trade is happening (involves Richmond trading a pick in the 30s or 40s - i.e. our current second rounder).

It’d also mean technically using two first round picks this year opening up trade possibilities in 2025 and 2026.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back