Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

For everyone on the "we need to stand firm and give 'em nothing or the club is farked" wagon, how will you honestly feel if we miss out on Bolton?

I don't want to overpay for him, obviously, but the thought of not having him next year while watching our dearth of small/medium forwards spud it up week after week and wondering what could have been if we had moved our offer from pick 18 to pick 10 or whatever the **** it is, makes me feel nauseous.

The potential to overpay on trades is obvious. It's the foremost thought on everyone's mind, every trade period.

However, this year, what keeps me up at night, is the potential opportunity cost of not getting Bolton...even if it means paying slightly more than what we want to.

We haven't spent years building this list to where it is now to miss out on opportunities like this one. Haggle hard Wallsy and keep the bastards honest, but make sure Shai is in purple next year.
We can't pay overs over and over again and expect to be successful. I would happily take all 3 picks to the draft if Richmond want massive overs.

10 and 18 already overs

We can't pay overs over and over again and expect to be successful. I would happily take all 3 picks to the draft if Richmond want massive overs.

10 and 18 already overs
Bolton would be a massive coup though, let's be honest, he'll add more to us than any draft pick can. How long do we have to keep going to the draft?

He's a big fish that wants us.

Prediction time.
When: Wednesday 08/10
What: Pick 10, 18 & Knobel for Bolton, 24 & 42
With Jay Clark also now spruiking 10 and 18, I'm getting more hopeful 10 and 18 is going to be enough as the base. Just too much media basically agreeing 10 and 11 is nutty.

Friday, your trade but no 24. That is very optimistic

The melts from the Richmond nuffies on social media about only getting pick 42 for Jack Graham are hilarious.

I mean the guy is a fringe role player - did they thing he was earning $800k or something?!

They are some of the worst fans in the AFL - I couldn’t stand them when they were winning either. Worse than several other big clubs I can think of
There is some fantastic ones on here but yeah, quite a lot of dufuses. I'd kill for it to be 10 and 18 as the base just to laugh at the dufuses

Yeah the more I think about it the more likely something like this will occur

If we could get some salary thrown in there then happy days even more.
Picks 18,24,30 should still net us some Decent talent
I still prefer letting them keep 24 and asking for all their picks in the 40’s to offer to Brisbane or GC for pick 20/23 as it ticks off the box of taking 2 first round picks this year so we don’t need afl approval to trade all our future 1st next year if Warner/pickett are available.
Net result Bolton, 18, 20/23, 30

Bolton would be a massive coup though, let's be honest, he'll add more to us than any draft pick can. How long do we have to keep going to the draft?

He's a big fish that wants us.
Over the next year's, I think 10 and 11 will offer us more.

Bolton will be cheaper next year, especially if he has a poor year.

Plus we will have less picks.

We want him, we dont need him. Richmond need the picks

Collingwood is offering a 2nd rounder, f1 for pick 13. 10 and 11 are very valuable

The melts from the Richmond nuffies on social media about only getting pick 42 for Jack Graham are hilarious.

I mean the guy is a fringe role player - did they thing he was earning $800k or something?!

They are some of the worst fans in the AFL - I couldn’t stand them when they were winning either. Worse than several other big clubs I can think of
I’ve genuinely never seen anything like it .
You d seriously get a more rational conversation out of blues supporters

Massive persecution complex

for some perspective on this ,take a read of their trade and draft thread .
Will blow your mind

the majority genuinely believe that 6 and 13 and 10 and 11 is BARE minimum for Rioli and Bolten.
Apparently being contracted means you can ask for what you want and should get it , no matter what - they can’t “believe” Freo and GC would even have the temerity to dare question such demands.

Quite a number also had a plausible hope for p2 compo for Graham but were “happy” to settle with 21 …that apparently was only fair due to battle compo etc.

But my favourite was when it’s mentioned about chipping in salary , particularly for Bolten as to increase draft price - pretty standard theory really … well most of them got absolutely frothing declaring “we ain’t paying no club shit for their players !!”
- but still expected the top trades price and couldn’t care less their team will genuinely struggle to pay the salary floor

Honestly they’re next level

10 and 18 already overs
Yeah I think this is pretty much it. With the ignominy of the Jackson trade still nailed to us I think for the sake of (at least in the short term) future dealings with Melbourne clubs our club needs to put a line in the sand about fair/good faith valuations to us lest we end up like Gold Coast having to pay astronomical overs just to get players who want to join us specifically.

Bolton would be massive but we can't cripple ourselves from being able to obtain any other talent for this year or next to get him and quite frankly 10 & 11 does exactly that. Also I'd argue the oft argued point that we're not actually in our premiership window yet: missing finals this year seriously hurt that and robbed our list of much needed finals experience.

It's just not a wise trade when it doesn't completely fix our biggest need and robs us of the ability to help fix other needs. Pickett on the other and I would possibly consider that price.

Collingwood is offering a 2nd rounder, f1 for pick 13. 10 and 11 are very valuable
Bolton we already know what he can offer, it's guaranteed return, and I do believe he's good enough to cement us as a top 4 side, he makes our forward line special, picks 10 and 11 could easily be duds.

I want us to play finals and win some next year, choosing to go to the draft doesn't contribute to that, Bolton does.

I don't think it's just a matter of point value at the top end; these picks are directly linked to players we might like to draft. Once we've let go of 10 + 11, we're almost certainly completely out of the picture for Allan. If we finagle back 14, that puts us in contention for Berry? Otherwise we're looking at a draft full of KPPs, inside mids, and Vic Metro talent. We clearly don't even really want high draft picks, seeing as we've floated trading them out. But we certainly don't want to bring in Vic Metro kids we can't play for 3 years who we'll end up trading out for peanuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton we already know what he can offer, it's guaranteed return, and I do believe he's good enough to cement us as a top 4 side, he makes our forward line special, picks 10 and 11 could easily be duds.

I want us to play finals and win some next year, choosing to go to the draft doesn't contribute to that, Bolton does.
Agree to disagree

Collingwood are offering Nobel and F1 for 13+23

I still prefer letting them keep 24 and asking for all their picks in the 40’s to offer to Brisbane or GC for pick 20/23 as it ticks off the box of taking 2 first round picks this year so we don’t need afl approval to trade all our future 1st next year if Warner/pickett are available.
Net result Bolton, 18, 20/23, 30
It’s a totally moot stance tho because Richmond will 100% just be doing that trade themselves .

I think you need to look at draft rankings to appreciate the difference in value between 11 and 18 / 24 this year. 11 is a very very nice spot where you still get pick of about 10 guys almost evenly ranked between like 7 and 17.

Again, I wont melt but there is a reason why so many clubs are frothing over that range

Pardon the intrusion, I think the addition of Bolton massively improves your tilt at a flag. He is a phenomenal talent and a freakish game changer when surrounded by a very good team. Can be thrown in the middle but its so damaging as a forward. He is almost impossible to tackle and a nightmare to match up on.

This past season he was easy to isolate because he didn't have the talent around him. Any team facing Fremantle next year would have to consider not just Bolton but numerous other threats to nullify as well. That's when Shai can rip things apart.

You can look at your draft hand as something that you understandably do not want to get screwer over on but I think you cannot lose sight of taking the necessary steps to go hard at a flag winning opportunities. Bolton would be an enormous catch and a helluva great fit for your list because Freo are very close to becoming a force.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back