Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

...at the end of the day the actual purpose of trade period isn't our entertainment, but to allow clubs and players enough time to get the movement they want/as possible.

Sure if they want to have some futile back and forth just in case, go for it. But it seems more than a simple equation.

The quibbling when they're going to have a tonne of picks anyway gives it more than a stench of pretence.

You wouldn't want Fremantle to ask for the best two picks if the situations were reversed? 95% chance it will end up being 10+18 with pick swaps but why shouldn't the Tigers ask for 10+11? We did the same when it came to Weller and everyone was over the moon.

What's the bet a trade is agreed upon and the WankFL is just sitting on the paperwork for a bumper final trade day?

I hate the way they do this.

Bolton is a far more damaging/impactful player than Houston. The latter is a defender/mid. Bolton can be a top 10 offensive weapon in the competition. Scoreboard impact is where the value is.

Bolton was 6th for score involvements in 2022, then 12th in 2023. The only players around that mark over both those years were Bontempelli, Dusty, Petracca, Hawkins, Walker, Cameron, Curnow. That's the calibre of company that he keeps for scoreboard impact, only he isn't a big mid or KPF, but rather in the position of most need to our side (small forward).

I wouldn't be concerned with a drop off in 2024 in a wooden spoon team. The 2022-2023 years are more relevant to how we would expect him to perform in a good side.

I've also posted several times on his ridiculous record at Optus over the last several years. Seven out of 8 games he was in the best players and you would struggle to find a better performed player overall at our home ground. The one poor game was played in terrible slugfest conditions that don't suit his type.

Exactly. Houston is a good player in a position with several options.

Bolton is a gun in one of the most impactful and sought after positions.

Tell them 10 + 18, or go and shove rusty forks up your gloryhole.

No deal Blandmond...?! Fine, we walk away and offer you just 18 next year. That is a FAIR offer and deal.

Piss off with your exigent and egregious demands
Peeps need to calm. Likely Richmond are waiting on other deals be sorted first.

I’ve heard 11+30 then increased to 10+18 and Richmond want 10+11. In reality it will sit somewhere in between. Fremantle have said they want to keep 11.

Perhaps 10+18 with our F2 or F3 and a later pick or two coming back to us (ie pick 51 and an F3 from another club).

There was an article I read this morning in SEN saying Richmond could end up with 8 -9 picks inside 25-30 which is just crazy list management. They all come out of contract at the same time.

Alternatively
10,11,30 > 14, Bolton.

The media sensationalise all information. In all likelihood the tweet around Richmond rejecting 10+18 was more likely they want more than just 10+18 which is the best offer Freo have made.

The 11 to 14 downgrade isn’t too bad. We did exactly that once before in the original Lobb to Freo trade. Problem was 14 became 17 and we missed Jordan Clark. Richmond don’t have pick 14 as yet. Also in my earlier proposal Richmond don’t have another clubs F3.

I’d expect 10+18 with a sweetener.

You wouldn't want Fremantle to ask for the best two picks if the situations were reversed? 95% chance it will end up being 10+18 with pick swaps but why shouldn't the Tigers ask for 10+11? We did the same when it came to Weller and everyone was over the moon.
Ask, sure. But there's also a respectful line that can get crossed by persisting with unreasonable demands.

There are advantages of getting deals done early too. Not least being primed to leap at any deals that pop up unexpectedly.

Maybe it is getting the Lions involved in a deal that could have everyone coming out happy. Who knows.

Ultimately the priority of trade period isn't entertainment of fans, but rather giving clubs and players space to get the best movement.

Yep but they have their stupid agenda which is just making money and getting media time.

They do it every year.

Trade period is such a snooze fest compared to other sports around the globe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep but they have their stupid agenda which is just making money and getting media time.

They do it every year.

Do you have any evidence of them making clubs delay trades? It is it just an idea bopping around in your head?

I mean, it's more than a little silly that it would happen.

Do you have any evidence of them making clubs delay trades? It is it just an idea bopping around in your head?

I mean, it's more than a little silly that it would happen.
well they hold trades on the last day for the last hour or something dont they? not a big leap really but also doesnt make a lot of sense, id imagine the AFL would want a steady drip of some trades throughout the period so people stay engaged

They do it every year.

Snooze fest because they make it 10 days with wall-to-wall coverage. I would prefer the trade period to open the day after Grand Final and close either just after the draft or just before round 1. I love the NBA and the way they do it, nobody is sitting listening to trade radio, you just wait until Woj (RIP) or Shams tweets that a trade has gone through.

Not without something else that's decent coming back though, surely?
Would obviously prefer something decent coming back and/or covering some of his money, but ultimately if the choice is no Bolton or paying 10/11, I’d do it

well they hold trades on the last day for the last hour or something dont they? not a big leap really but also doesnt make a lot of sense, id imagine the AFL would want a steady drip of some trades throughout the period so people stay engaged
Yes that's a publicly stated thing. It's hard to see them lurking behind the scenes pressuring clubs to not do deals. Without any evidence of that (there are plenty of people who leave the system that would have no issue exposing that, but funnily enough, crickets) it's fairly unbelievable.

Dont take it, dont fall for it!!
Just because we are all anxious for it to go through DOES NOT mean we give them 10 and 11 for a guy that tries 68 percent of the time.

Snooze fest because they make it 10 days with wall-to-wall coverage. I would prefer the trade period to open the day after Grand Final and close either just after the draft or just before round 1. I love the NBA and the way they do it, nobody is sitting listening to trade radio, you just wait until Woj (RIP) or Shams tweets that a trade has gone through.
Snoozefest or frustrated anticipation/expectations? I mean what stops people from just ignoring it?

People seem pretty invested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back