Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, I just want Bolton. Surely we are at the stage where adding a player like Bolton gives us an actual legit chance at the 2025 flag. Brisbane just lost one of their most important pieces, Swans have some serious issues up front and down back. Geelong simply aren't that good but will at least compete. Who else is there? GWS is probably the fav in my eyes. Carlton, Coll, Port, Dogs and Hawks. We are as good as those teams now IMO, adding Bolton pushes us ahead of most of them. Get the deal done and give the 2025 flag a shake.

I get not wanting to pay overs but as a fan I can't understand how anyone can think we don't need Bolton and going to the draft will be a win. Every single loss the excuse is that we are too young and we just need some more experience/time...

Also, I just want Bolton. Surely we are at the stage where adding a player like Bolton gives us an actual legit chance at the 2025 flag. Brisbane just lost one of their most important pieces, Swans have some serious issues up front and down back. Geelong simply aren't that good but will at least compete. Who else is there? GWS is probably the fav in my eyes. Carlton, Coll, Port, Dogs and Hawks. We are as good as those teams now IMO, adding Bolton pushes us ahead of most of them. Get the deal done and give the 2025 flag a shake.
This absolutely gets done, its in both clubs best interest. The difference in price just comes down to who blinks first.

Given history, hard not to see us folding.

1) We trade out pick 11. Once it’s off the table we don’t need to ‘haggle’. Do the deal with Demons. F1 pick 28 and they get 11 and some lower end stuff. Yes, they will do this.

Leaves us 10, 18, 28, 30. 2 x F1

2) Demons offer 5 and 11 to Eagles. Get 3. Shuffles with lower end stuff in favour of whoever.

3) Eagles get Baker for 11 (the pick that was always intended for him) you would think Eagles request and get something back - but who really cares.

4) We hold the line at 10 + 18 for Bolton. If we must add, we can add 30 and get a F3 back.

We enter 2024 draft with 28 as first pick. Not ideal, but we have 2 F1s.

If the scenario arises where Allan is still on the board at around 15 and assuming we really really want him, we can dangle Demons F1 and no doubt do a live pick swap. Personally, I’d just keep the 2 x F1s.

All of this - summary is trade out pick 11. There’s teams frothing on 13. We could do very well trading it out.

This absolutely gets done, its in both clubs best interest. The difference in price just comes down to who blinks first.

Good Joao. That will keep all the concerned lurkers happy.
Tim And Eric Flirting GIF

Agree, I am 99% sure the trade gets done and honestly won't care about the trade value when I see Bolton in round 1. He is prime Sonny, can kick a goal from anywhere and is damaging when thrown in the middle.

1) We trade out pick 11. Once it’s off the table we don’t need to ‘haggle’. Do the deal with Demons. F1 pick 28 and they get 11 and some lower end stuff. Yes, they will do this.

2) Demons offer 5 and 11 to Eagles. Get 3. Shuffles with lower end stuff in favour of whoever.

3) Eagles get Baker for 11 (the pick that was always intended for him) you would think Eagles request and get something back - but who really cares.

4) We hold the line at 10 + 18 for Bolton. If we must add, we can add 30 and get a F3 back.

If the scenario arises where Allan is still on the board at around 15 and assuming we really really want him, we can dangle Demons F1 and no doubt do a live pick swap. Personally, I’d just keep the 2 x F1s.

All of this - summary is trade out pick 11. There’s teams frothing on 13. We could do very well trading it out.

This would be a very inflammatory move on our part. We are negotiating with a club that has a player under contract. I sincerely doubt we would do this unless the whole thing was pre-arranged and approved by Richmond. It's just not professional. Hawks did this exact thing, and there's good chance it's gonna cost them Barrass.

We're clearly testing the waters on this one, deciding what value we could get, but we're not going to pull the trigger first.

Agree, I am 99% sure the trade gets done and honestly won't care about the trade value when I see Bolton in round 1. He is prime Sonny, can kick a goal from anywhere and is damaging when thrown in the middle.
Yes I don't see how we lose as long as he doesn't just phone it in when he gets here (there is risk of that).

But I'd still like to negotiate a decent deal and leave us a decent pick or 2 to try and address the other list holes.

I get not wanting to pay overs but as a fan I can't understand how anyone can think we don't need Bolton and going to the draft will be a win. Every single loss the excuse is that we are too young and we just need some more experience/time...

I also want Bolton. (And I'm pretty confident we'll get to a 10 + 18 + something compromise.) But Freo's list management isn't holding out because they're being stubborn; they're holding out because we have other options.

Small forwards come online much quicker than other positions AND we currently have other small forward options even if they aren't top shelf like Bolton. If you look at the end of the year, we played Freddy, Sturt*, Switta—Sonny was stuck as sub. (*Sturt obviously not being a small, but taking up a non-KPF spot in the forward line.) With our intact draft hand, it'd be pretty easy to scoop up Berry. Berry is pretty physically developed for a small forward, the sort of player who could come in and impact in his first year. Is he gonna be better than Bolton straight out of the gate? Of course not. But we're talking about a massive saving on price + more years of service if the Vic Country theory of player retention holds true.

Pretty much this. No matter what people say about the situation being a win/win, getting Bolton gives us the absolute best chance at winning the 2025 flag. Tigers now have pick 20, so 11+12 for Bolton and 20 with some pointless but list manager critical F4 pick swaps.

I'd love to see a fit Sonny and Bolton in the same forwardline in 2025, but on the caviet that only Shai has a licence to fly. Ha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also want Bolton. (And I'm pretty confident we'll get to a 10 + 18 + something compromise.) But Freo's list management isn't holding out because they're being stubborn; they're holding out because we have other options.

Small forwards come online much quicker than other positions AND we currently have other small forward options even if they aren't top shelf like Bolton. If you look at the end of the year, we played Freddy, Sturt*, Switta—Sonny was stuck as sub. (*Sturt obviously not being a small, but taking up a non-KPF spot in the forward line.) With our intact draft hand, it'd be pretty easy to scoop up Berry. Berry is pretty physically developed for a small forward, the sort of player who could come in and impact in his first year. Is he gonna be better than Bolton straight out of the gate? Of course not. But we're talking about a massive saving on price + more years of service if the Vic Country theory of player retention holds true.

Our small forwards are disgusting when it comes to kicking goals, as bad as any team in the AFL and Berry might be good or he might need time like Simpson in the WAFL.

The added bonus to this is if Demons implode we could give them their first rounder back for Pickett!

This would be a very inflammatory move on our part. We are negotiating with a club that has a player under contract. I sincerely doubt we would do this unless the whole thing was pre-arranged and approved by Richmond. It's just not professional. Hawks did this exact thing, and there's good chance it's gonna cost them Barrass.

We're clearly testing the waters on this one, deciding what value we could get, but we're not going to pull the trigger first.

We can’t be held to ransom. There’s other deals that can be made during the trade period.

Barrass will still be a Hawk. It was an interesting play by Hawks, but they will have essentially received an extra 2nd rounder (Carlton’s) by doing what they’ve done. They don’t care if that pick 14 was to be used for Baker, not their problem.

It’s not inflammatory. It’s making the most of our assets. Once Richmond have their assets they will look to shuffle too.

On that, is Cooper Simpson ultimately a small forward? I thought Jack Delean was our only project small forward from the last draft.
They've been playing him there. Doesn't get heaps of the ball, but seem to put up great tackle numbers in the 2nd half of the year.

I hope his preseason gets him the strength and tank to make a similar impact at AFL level.

They are 18. Plus 7 years is 25 which is just entering prime age.

Serong will be 30 at this time and will be close to finishing up never mind the other players who are older than him.

Going to the draft now is essentially starting again with a rebuild. Especially because it’ll be your maiden flag I’d go aggressive with trades. Players like Bolton aren’t available every year. Do you want to be wondering if he would’ve made a difference if you pass? That would play on my mind. Risk it for the biscuit imo.

Nank, Prestia and Caddy was the difference in a flag for us in 2017. Bolton is better than each of them.
Kai lohmann will ashcroft Logan Morris Nick Watson kyasiah pickett in 2021 daicos ..the list goes on ... all say hi. Every premiership team also have 1 or 2 quality recent draftee. If they are quality that make up for experience. Small forwards make early impacts. But of course I would love to have Bolton in our side, but won't be that much upset if we lose him due to Richmond hold firm

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok I’ll go then bye. Sorry for annoying you.
Na you're fine, it's just when you've heard the same lines before from other not so good faith posters it gets difficult not to rise to bait sometimes.

Respect to Richmond for realising where they're at and actively doing something about it and trying to get the best value possible for their future rebuild.

Our small forwards are disgusting when it comes to kicking goals, as bad as any team in the AFL and Berry might be good or he might need time like Simpson in the WAFL.
Simpson was a majority midfielder who had a big scoreboard impact so we theorised we could turn him into a small forward/half-forward. That is why he's playing WAFL—we don't have any inside mid roles for him. The idea that he could be a small forward was totally theoretical, which many people (me included!!) raised concerns about at the time.

Simpson went at 0.8 goals in Coates Talent League (didn't get a real run at u18 Champs but averaged 0.0; don't take that number seriously though). Berry is primarily a forward who has done stints in the midfield, like Bolton or Sonny, and averaged 1.5 goals in Coates and 2.3 in u18 Champs.

It's not really comparable.

Simpson was a majority midfielder who had a big scoreboard impact so we theorised we could turn him into a small forward/half-forward. That is why he's playing WAFL—we don't have any inside mid roles for him. The idea that he could be a small forward was totally theoretical, which many people (me included!!) raised concerns about at the time.

Simpson went at 0.8 goals in Coates Talent League (didn't get a real run at u18 Champs but averaged 0.0; don't take that number seriously though). Berry is primarily a forward who has done stints in the midfield, like Bolton or Sonny, and averaged 1.5 goals in Coates and 2.3 in u18 Champs.

It's not really comparable.
It was just an example of a first year player needing time to get afl ready. Berry might be great and walk into round 1 and play really well. Or he might need time in the wafl. Bolton walks into round 1 and has an immediate impact in a position that we lack.

Trading away 11 is dumb

We want to take that pick, thats why we are holding it

I understand your theory of getting rid of it so Richmond can't take it but the problem is we want to use that pick, we haven't drafted a first rounder in 2 years and the players available at 11 look bloody good

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back