Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be pretty funny if it gets to our pick 11:

'Oh, we seem to have a live trade here. Pies are going to leapfrog Carlton. They've paid 13 and a F2. Freo slide 2 spots'

... Pick 13

'Seems another live trading coming through...GWS also wanting to leapfrog Carlton. They've given up 15 and a F2. Freo slide to the 15th pick.

... Pick 15

With the 15th pick, Freo select Joe Berry.

Wallsy 'Yeah, we would've picked Berry at 11, but we had a few in mind around that selection and they were all still on the board. Grabbed ourselves a couple of bonus F2's for nothing really'

Then it gets to about pick 25 and we use 30 and a F2 from one of those deals to leapfrog a bunch and grab a slider!

'Oh, we seem to have a live trade here. Pies are going to leapfrog Carlton. They've paid 13 and a F2. Freo slide 2 spots'

... Pick 13

'Seems another live trading coming through...GWS also wanting to leapfrog Carlton. They've given up 15 and a F2. Freo slide to the 15th pick.

... Pick 15

Wallsy 'Yeah, we would've picked Berry at 11, but we had a few in mind around that selection and they were all still on the board. Grabbed ourselves a couple of bonus F2's for nothing really'
Exactly what I'm picturing, should be able to steal an extra 2nd for basically free on draft night. 11 to be held at all costs really.

Reports are we’ve offered 10, 11 and 18 for Bolton and Baker…

10 and 18 for a contracted Bolton is understandable but 11 for an uncontracted Baker? Have we gone mad?

I'm not overly keen on Baker either but it works on 2 conditions.

1) A pick in the 20's is coming back to Freo.

2) The Tigers are paying a big chunk of Bolton's salary. If Bolton and Baker are tying up under a million a year in our cap with the Tigers paying about half of Bolton's salary giving away 3 x first rounders is tolerable. That way we're effectively trading 11 for Baker and cap space.

... Pick 13

... Pick 15

Yes... so better we never trade 11 during trade period. On draft night if some one we rate comes up we pick them at 11 or not, live trade it and teams will be lining up to pay overs?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

... Pick 13

... Pick 15

Reckon Carlton take Berry at 12/14 (whichever one is in between our picks after we slide below em)

If we take another predominantly inside midfielder I am going to go down to Cockburn and set myself on fire at the front entrance like a Buddhist monk.

We’ll need them in three years and a first year kid won’t do us much good then. I wouldn’t have an issue with it this year.

Get Bolton and I think our genuine short term needs are almost covered. Most of the time in the draft you’re looking for what you need in 3-4 years time. That’s any of small forward, HBF, inside and outside mid for me - Probably got 24 months to add all these to the list or we’re desperate for these types in 3-4 years time.

We’ll need them in three years and a first year kid won’t do us much good. I wouldn’t have an issue with it.

In 3 years Andy Brayshaw—our oldest inside midfielder—will be 27 and in his prime years. Young, Serong, Johnno, Raz, Simpson, (Warner????) will all be peaking—all of which we will not even be able to play. We will have built in redundancies for top end midfielding talent. Any top-end inside midfielders we draft this year will have to stick around for seven to eight years to even realistically get a sniff at b23.

People are underrating Ollie Hannaford because of draft boards. Guarantee you some clubs would have him above Berry and he would also be in the mix for our pick at 11. His last couple months were incredible as a small forward. Even in the biggest game of the year in the GF they moved him to midfield and he was close to BOG in a losing team. Ran a 2.95 in the 20m sprint

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of the deal but at the same time I'm coming around to Baker a little again, don't get the people going "He nominated West Coast so if he changes his mind **** him"

That'd be like the Detroit Pistons saying no to Luka Doncic because "Nope, he wanted to go to Charlotte at first, **** him"

Baker would probably go alright for us, would be an upgrade on a few of our Best 23 players.

An upgrade on which players? I don't have Bailey Banfield in our best 23 next year but they are similar role players. Baker has more class and polish but Banfield is 4 inches taller so can play tall or small.

If Erasmus forces his way into the team resulting in O'Meara playing WAFL that's great. If Baker costs a first round pick and takes O'Meara's spot and we have a guy on 500k a year playing WAFL that's poor list management.

I think the Hawks move is just basic maths.

They offered 14 and a F2 for Barrass and F3.

They showed Eagles the value of 14 by getting a F1 and F2 for it.

Even if they end up giving F1 and F2 with nothing back, they’ve landed an extra F2.

Hawks F2 for Eagles F3 is a nothing set of steak knives though. Hawks will have top 4 aspirations and Eagles will be bottom 2 so it's potentially a 3 or 4 spot upgrade on a pick around 40.

Brodie stuff at the end of the article. The part about some Vic clubs being interested and it going nowhere coz we want Brodie and gave him assurances is interesting. Feels like media spin still but who knows.

What an absolute joke. He’ll sit at Peel for two years before being delisted - what a waste of everyone’s time. Get rid of him and draft a midfielder.

In 3 years Andy Brayshaw—our oldest inside midfielder—will be 27 and in his prime years. Young, Serong, Johnno, Raz, Simpson, (Warner????) will all be peaking—all of which we will not even be able to play. We will have built in redundancies for top end midfielding talent. Any top-end inside midfielders we draft this year will have to stick around for seven to eight years to even realistically get a sniff at b23.

Couldn’t disagree more. All those are best 23 in three years if everything goes perfectly. A really good midfield prospect could go past everyone other than Brayshaw, Serong and Young within three years and make us a much better side. Plus depth in inside mids is as important as just about anywhere on the field.

Get Bolton and it’s no less of a need than small forwards.

An upgrade on which players? I don't have Bailey Banfield in our best 23 next year but they are similar role players. Baker has more class and polish but Banfield is 4 inches taller so can play tall or small.

If Erasmus forces his way into the team resulting in O'Meara playing WAFL that's great. If Baker costs a first round pick and takes O'Meara's spot and we have a guy on 500k a year playing WAFL that's poor list management.
Love Wagner, but I reckon Baker is better, yeah Banfield and O'Meara probably go out either way but I'd say he's an upgrade on them too.

I think he'd be nice to have, but then again, only if we get the right deal, I don't wanna overpay for him.

Could a 3 way deal be on the cards?

Freo trade 10, 11 and 18 Receive Bolton, Picks 26 and F2 from WC
Richmond trade Bolton and Baker for 10, 11 and 18 and pay 40% of Bolton's salary.
WC trade Pick 26 and F2 for Baker

Couldn’t disagree more. All those are best 23 in three years if everything goes perfectly. A really good midfield prospect could go past everyone other than Brayshaw, Serong and Young within three years and make us a much better side. Plus depth in inside mids is as important as just about anywhere on the field.

Get Bolton and it’s no less of a need than small forwards.
Our current inside midfield depth is a first rounder, and a basically first rounder who are both only 21/20 and you can expect massive improvement from over the upcoming years. I didn't even mention real "depth only" players, which includes Brodie and NOD as an inside mid, not to mention forwards like Bolton, Switta that we can rotate through.

If we get Bolton, our small forward depth is Banfield, Delean, Emmett. In 3 years time, Switta's probably close to wrapping it up. So small forwards are a 28 year old Bolton, Sturt (not really a small forward), Freddy (not really a small forward) and, uh, Banners? I guess?

Farcical to suggest these are equal positions of need.

Brodie stuff at the end of the article. The part about some Vic clubs being interested and it going nowhere coz we want Brodie and gave him assurances is interesting. Feels like media spin still but who knows.
Its gotta be spin right? I'm not a hater by any stretch, but he ended the year playing fat side wing in the WAFL GF. Hard to see what we'd be assuring him.

Our current inside midfield depth is a first rounder, and a basically first rounder who are both only 21/20 and you can expect massive improvement from over the upcoming years. I didn't even mention real "depth only" players, which includes Brodie and NOD as an inside mid, not to mention forwards like Bolton, Switta that we can rotate through.

If we get Bolton, our small forward depth is Banfield, Delean, Emmett. In 3 years time, Switta's probably close to wrapping it up. So small forwards are a 28 year old Bolton, Sturt (not really a small forward), Freddy (not really a small forward) and, uh, Banners? I guess?

Farcical to suggest these are equal positions of need.

You’re comparing our depth now talking about inside mids with our depth in three years when talking about small forwards. Very much to suit your own agenda I assume.

To be original point I’m happy drafting either with our first pick this year as long as we address both over a 24 month period.

I’m not replying to you again on this matter - you’re talking absolute rubbish.

You’re comparing our depth now talking about inside mids with our depth in three years when talking about small forwards. Very much to suit your own agenda I assume.

To be original point I’m happy drafting either with our first pick this year as long as we address both over a 24 month period.

I’m not replying to you again on this matter - you’re talking absolute rubbish.
I'm going back to your analysis metric of our list needs in 3 years time! I literally started off by laying out our current depth!!!

I'm not overly keen on Baker either but it works on 2 conditions.

1) A pick in the 20's is coming back to Freo.

2) The Tigers are paying a big chunk of Bolton's salary. If Bolton and Baker are tying up under a million a year in our cap with the Tigers paying about half of Bolton's salary giving away 3 x first rounders is tolerable. That way we're effectively trading 11 for Baker and cap space.
I agree and in a non-Baker scenario the only way I would give up 11 is if we felt our targeted players could still be there with a slight slide to 15 and we trade 11 and 30 to GWS for 15 21 and 53.

Then on draft night we can either use 21 or trade for an F1, 53 comes right in with the matching bids for Academy so the current gap between 30 and 53 will close signficantly.

I would actually do that GWS trade now and offer Richmond two packages.
10 and 18 (Keep 15 and 21)
15 18 and 21 for Bolton and F2 (Keep 10)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back