Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m happy enough drafting what others consider greater needs with second rounders especially if we’re slightly reaching for one of the best mature agers in the country.

I don’t think it’s necessarily greatest need = first pick anyway. We’ve never drafted like that.

If we trade in Bolton and use 11 on a gun mid, yeah not sure how that can be a bad thing.

You know he will nominate a specific club do you!?!? Bolton hasn’t…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And how much chat has there been about Bolton going to West Coast? Not fan chat but actual media. Zero, because everyone knows he's chosen Fremantle as the club. Jackson likewise, not sure he ever mentioned Fremantle as his club of choice yet every single person knew where he was going.

Chad will have a choice and he will get to that club.

What if he says just get me back to WA. People who think WC possibly having better draft picks than us next year doesn’t matter are delusional

How often do players just say get me home though?

Chad Warner has 3 options -

1) Stay at the Swans if he feels they're in the window, he's happy living in Sydney, and is content with the salary on offer.

2) Come back to Perth and play at Freo with his mates Sharp, Jackson, Clarke and Walker and potentially play in a Premiership at Freo.

3) Come home and play for WC and potentially be the highest paid player in the comp but miss finals for the next 3 or 4 years.

You know he will nominate a specific club do you!?!? Bolton hasn’t…

Bolton doesn't need to nominate a club because one team in WA has a terrible list and needs to start rebuilding while the other team is in the window and has 3 x first round picks. Only one club can facilitate a trade.

If WC trade pick 3 for Bolton then Pyke and Co will be unemployed in 24 months.

Even in 3 years, inside mid is our biggest depth piece by far, probably in the whole comp even. MJ & Erasmus both being played out of position at AFL level. Even NOD can play inside. You'd plan for the possibility of having Warner too. Even if you hate him a 26 y/o Brodie is good inside depth. We would even plan for Lucas Robinson NGA who projects to be a gun inside mid but still early obviously. If it's an inside/outside mid or an inside mid with some explosive traits and versatility, sure
Johnson and Erasmus are the really important ones to factor into future planning, in my opinion. The assumption that underpins recruiting additional top-shelf inside midfielders is that these two are serviceable options but neither is quite going to make it at the top level. I don't agree. Neither of these guys have had the inside midfield at minutes they'd need to really refine their craft. I like what I've seen from both of them, but we're not going to see the next step up until they've got 50 games of AFL with 60%+ CBA under their belt. You can improve skills in WAFL games or with outside mid minutes, but it'll take much more time. We've had our current inside mids (Brayshaw, Serong) come online incredibly quickly, but they all got the AFL inside minutes from day dot because our inside midfield was weaker, and more injury-prone. For every Ashcroft or Rowell who come in and impact on day 1, there's a Petracca or a Butters who need those 50 games to come up to speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t rule out a left field trade next week either.

Here you go.

“Hey Dees! How does 10 and 18 for Pickett sound? Good? Ok how about we add 11 for future first and a current second?”

“Sounds good. That’s gives us 5, 10, 11 and 18 and 40 for this draft? Sweet!!!”

“Hey Tigers…lol woops we only have a future Melbourne first for Bolton now? What? Don’t like that…oh, ok…too bad”

I'd expect Chad Warner to have a ten year, fifteen to twenty million dollar offer from WC next season.

The benefit for Freo is that Reid isn't out of contract until the year after, because of them is getting a massive deal.

I think Freo will offer a seven year, ten million dollar deal with most of it towards the end. Seven years will mean he isn't a free agent next time he is out of contract.

Here you go.

“Hey Dees! How does 10 and 18 for Pickett sound? Good? Ok how about we add 11 for future first and a current second?”

“Sounds good. That’s gives us 5, 10, 11 and 18 and 40 for this draft? Sweet!!!”

“Hey Tigers…lol woops we only have a future Melbourne first for Bolton now? What? Don’t like that…oh, ok…too bad”

Love it. Just one tweak would be I'd have someone on the phone to Richmond while Walls is on the call to Melbourne and with one final "last chance?" pull the trigger on Pickett.

Give Richmond a day to cool off and then table the best offer we can excluding one of our future firsts for Bolton.

Why do you hope this friend?
I think it is a good long deal without putting the clubs at too much risk. We are protecting clubs from trading out to far into the future. I don't think the extremely long contracts carry any less risk. Especially with how much the number of very long contracts has proliferated in recent years. Just return the risk to a bit more balance between clubs and players. Otherwise we are going to have all these bogus concussion retirements to get these very long contracts off the books. Having the odd long contract with Buddy was ok, but there are way too many of them now so there is a lot more chance of clubs being crippled if things go wrong. Just my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back